Texas Hunting Forum

At Laguna Atascosa refuge, big cats keep secret presence

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

At Laguna Atascosa refuge, big cats keep secret presence - 11/26/16 03:56 PM

Quote:
By RICK KELLEY Staff Writer

LOS FRESNOS — A bright yellow cautionary tale sits beside a birding trail that winds through the mesquite trees at Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.

The sign, in English and Spanish, reads “Warning Cougar Area.”

Whether that is accurate on any given day is problematic, because refuge officials and others think mountain lions are inside Laguna Atascosa periodically but not necessarily on a permanent basis.

“I think it kind of raises alarm when it doesn’t need to be raised,” said Boyd Blihovde, the refuge manager, who says he inherited the warning signs when he arrived several years ago and has considered removing them. “But I feel like if we take them down, that’s when something will happen.”

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/article_353e8148-b27d-11e6-9e87-63d8a0869c46.html
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: At Laguna Atascosa refuge, big cats keep secret presence - 11/26/16 11:42 PM

Here's the sign.

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: At Laguna Atascosa refuge, big cats keep secret presence - 11/27/16 09:00 PM

Hunters have been documenting them through their observations for as long as the refuge has been hunted (early '70s). NWR staff has always given it the "yeah, yeah...".
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: At Laguna Atascosa refuge, big cats keep secret presence - 11/28/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Hunters have been documenting them through their observations for as long as the refuge has been hunted (early '70s). NWR staff has always given it the "yeah, yeah...".

I worked with a group of Mexicans that claimed there was a bear that they spotted and wanted to bring a gun to the location out in the middle of no where. I went with them and it was nutria rat. Just saying that people can get their minds twisted sometimes.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: At Laguna Atascosa refuge, big cats keep secret presence - 12/07/16 05:15 PM

Ha my favorite part...if a cougar attacks fight back:) ok
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum