Texas Hunting Forum

Powderhorn Ranch

Posted By: SWtexashunter

Powderhorn Ranch - 11/22/16 04:00 AM

I recently drew to hunt the Powderhorn Ranch and was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about the animals they have on it. I read about the history and how old explorers and wealthy landowners released many animals on to it but I'm wondering if yall knew anything else about it.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 11/22/16 04:19 PM

I've seen mention of Axis, Nilgai, Sambar, and Perre David being put ton there in some of the past write-ups. The most recent thing I found from TPWD specifically mentions Sambar deer. That's pretty cool. What draw did you win? I didn't see any hunts on the Powderhorn on the regular online catalog. I would definitely have put in for those if I'd seen them I'm really looking forward to the public getting access to that land.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 11/23/16 01:12 AM

LUCKY remember Snake Boots
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 11/23/16 08:41 AM

up
Posted By: 1100aggie

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 11/23/16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: SWtexashunter
I recently drew to hunt the Powderhorn Ranch and was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about the animals they have on it. I read about the history and how old explorers and wealthy landowners released many animals on to it but I'm wondering if yall knew anything else about it.

+2 In regard to the same question earlier. Where or how did you enter a draw for Powderhorn?

I just skimmed the draw hunts by area and did not see it listed either.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 11/25/16 12:54 PM

I curious to as I have seen anything made available yet.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 11/25/16 05:41 PM

Me thinks he got confused with a different "ranch" drawn hunt area. Powderhorn does not transfer to TPWD until 2018.

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 12/06/16 12:49 AM

They are having some Texas Youth Hunting Program hunts there now. I received a notice that they need guides for a hunt this weekend.

http://tyhp.alamark.com/ai1ec_event/17-128-tpwf-powderhorn-ranch/?instance_id=1851
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 12/06/16 03:12 AM

That will be a hunt of a lifetime for most of those kids. up

"Description: This is an awesome opportunity to hunt Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation’s Powderhorn Ranch on Powderhorn lake near Port O’Connor. This is the first time that the public will be allowed to hunt on this amazing piece of the Texas coast. Game will be white-tail, axis and hogs."

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 12/06/16 01:01 PM

Depending on what they are allowing to be taken, this might be the chance for a buck of a lifetime.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 12/06/16 09:35 PM

Bud of mine is big amigos with manager of Powderhorn. Said there's some BIG bucks on that place
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Powderhorn Ranch - 12/07/16 07:32 PM

Wow. Lucky kids. I hope they have an awesome hunt and get a chance to show the rest of us what that place is all about.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum