Texas Hunting Forum

Granger Lake WMA

Posted By: Sirrah243

Granger Lake WMA - 11/08/16 04:32 PM

I just found out about this place yesterday. It's only an hour and a half from home and I hear its covered up in hogs. Anybody here hunt this place?
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/08/16 06:34 PM

I've hunted there for rabbits. Hog hunting there is archery only, no firearms.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/09/16 01:45 AM

I waz planning on using a crossbow
Posted By: erok11

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/09/16 03:47 AM

Came across a thread on TBH forum about Granger hog hunting. Ive never hunted it but some good info on that thread
Posted By: rsquared

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/09/16 07:15 AM

Thick brush, but definitely has hogs
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/10/16 05:39 PM

Yes, big deer there but its by lottery and archery only.
Posted By: emiliodeluna

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/14/16 09:23 PM

I'm thinking about starting to scout that area soon but I cannot find any info anywhere about it. I'm pretty much going on blind. I do know that you can bait and the hogs can only be taken by bow or crossbow.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/16/16 12:10 AM

I used to hunt there all the time in the late 90's I killed a few and chased a lot of hogs but from what I hear now they are not as common up close you have to go deep in the woods to locate them.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/21/16 10:27 PM

Just like Hagerman, its had death by internet, ... to some degree.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 11/22/16 06:06 AM

Absolutely it has had death by internet. Poachers, hunters who don't mind the archery only rules, and general buffoons abound. You'll need to put boots in the mud, mosquito swarms, rattlesnakes, poison ivy thickets and miles of walking only to bust hogs literally buried under the briars and bloodweed 2 yards from you and never have a shot. The Corps employees recently did a survey count. Found over 300 feeders within eyesight of the border fence on private property. There are still a few big deer but it has intense pressure now a days. As for hogs they are some of the most savvy I've ever hunted...
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Granger Lake WMA - 12/07/16 05:24 PM

I've hunted there many years. It's a great place!! If you have a boat and are willing to work a bit you can kill hogs whenever you want. The best thing to know is learn what crops are being grown on the boundrys and hunt the borders. Behind the dam is a great place to start but you can find hogs all the way around the lake at any given point of the right crop is there. Corn or sourgum crops are a sure thing. Also when it's fairly warm outside hunt flooded fields of high grass. They just lay out there all day in the water.
With that little bit of knowledge and desire to get out there and see what crops are there anyone can find pigs out there. Don't hunt the wrong wind. PM me if you like I can give you lots of info
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum