Texas Hunting Forum

Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts?

Posted By: texashelms

Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/15/16 04:19 PM

Anyone got any information about either of these hunts? Best areas, type of exotics, longest shot distance.

I was selected for Enchanted rock November 14-17 spike/doe and Kickapoo cavern December 5-9 either sex
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/15/16 05:48 PM

I've hunted E-rock before. Gary, the guy who runs the hunts is a real cool cat. The whole crew is very helpful and friendly. It is a very easy, no-brainer hunt. They will pick out your blind and take you to and from your blind twice a day. All you do is spread out some corn, wait for the deer to show up, and don't miss. They try to set it up to where you won't have to shoot more than 100 yards or so. They even will help you with tracking if the deer runs off. In fact, they require you to stay near your blind and if the deer runs out of sight, you must wait for them to help you so you don't get turned around.

They are very strict on the spike and doe thing. Bring binoculars and absolutely confirm it is indeed a spike or a doe. There will be a game warden around. If you shoot a buck that is not a spike, you will lose your deer, get a ticket, and be asked to leave the property. There was one guy when I was there that shot not one, but two illegal bucks in one afternoon. It did not go well for him.

The blinds are just popup blinds that they set up for you before the hunt. Bring a comfortable chair and shooting sticks. Also, bring water, snacks, and TP because you won't be allowed to leave the area of your blind until they pick you up.

There are a few axis deer around, but not many. They hang out mainly near the campground.

If your wanting an easy hunt, this is it. Just follow the rules, don't shoot illegal deer, and enjoy the awesome scenery!

Good luck!

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/15/16 05:53 PM

BTW, when you get there, tell Gary that Gary said hi. Tell him that I was the guy that had his doe half eaten by hogs before we could get to it. He will remember!

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/15/16 06:31 PM

Is alfalfa hay allowed at enchanted rock? I hear that's the best bait for them axis but never I a chance at one.

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/15/16 06:32 PM

Dang hogs must be hungry.

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/15/16 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: texashelms
Is alfalfa hay allowed at enchanted rock? I hear that's the best bait for them axis but never I a chance at one.

Unless you get the compartment near the campground, I would just stick with corn. No one even saw an axis except a doe and her fawn right in the campground. A couple of years ago, a young woman shot an axis buck in the compartment right next to the campground.

And yes, those hogs are hungry. I wanted to shoot one of those SOB's just for revenge. Never got to though.

I normally prefer a more challenging, compartment style hunt. I wanted to my youngest son to get a deer on his own though. He has shot a few, but I was always in the blind with him. This time, he was able to do it all on his own. A nice memory. I'll also have to admit, it was nice being able to fill the freezer without a lot of stress and effort for a change.
Posted By: ChickenFried

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/19/16 09:47 PM

My son got his first deer at Enchanted Rock in December 2014 - a young Axis buck, not far from the campground. I got a spike. We put out corn.
We camped in Llano, but I wish we'd camped at the campground, just to save the travel time. [img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...e_cleaning_rack[/img]

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/20/16 02:22 AM

That axis looks huge!! Hopefully I see one too
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/23/16 02:42 PM

I'm hunting Kickapoo Dec 12-14. The research I've done so for tells me that the main exotics out there are Barbado sheep. I went out there last weekend to scout around. One of the guys I talked to told me they have seen axis in the park but nobody has ever killed one. The lowlands are very thick with cedar for the most part. There are some areas where you can see for a little ways. The areas with the higher elevation have better views and I could see there being some long shot opportunities down into some of the draws. They also have quite a few hogs out there. Baiting is not allowed and I think it will be a fun challenging hunt. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/25/16 12:32 AM

@triplesnake, what might be closest town with a hotel/motel to Kickapoo? Only hotel I can find online is in Del Rio which an hour away.

I'll keep you posted on my hunt.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/25/16 04:48 PM

Brackettville or Rocksprings are the two closest towns, but I don't know if you can find anything there. I'm planning to camp at the park.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/25/16 05:07 PM

Im almost positive there are no hotels in Brackettville, you may have to look into Del Rio for your best options.
Posted By: JKC

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/25/16 08:39 PM

I stayed at Fort Clark Springs motel in Brackettville years ago. It is an old fort barracks turned into a motel. It was clean and very economical.

Re: Enchanted rock and Kickapoo state hunts? - 10/27/16 10:37 PM

Booked a room at fort Clark.

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum