Texas Hunting Forum

Brazos Bend either-sex hunt

Posted By: 12shotgun

Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 09/28/16 10:37 PM

Was lucky to be (first for me, finally!!) drawn for a Brazos Bend either-sex hunt on November.
I'm not familiar with the park other that what the TPWD website has, if anyone has any pointers they'll be appreciated. So far I know:
Antler restrictions enforced, Mosquitos, Hunters are taken to/from blind.
Assuming I'm successful, are there any processors nearby you'd recommend?
Thank you and good luck!
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 09/29/16 12:26 AM

Congrats on getting drawn! I've tried unsuccessfully for years to get drawn there. Even tried standby several times, still no luck. Several of my buddies have hunted there though and I hunt the surrounding area, so I know a little about it.

The place is covered up in hogs. There are a lot of deer, not a lot of trophys though. Drop the first legal critter you see, especially the hogs.
You're gonna enjoy this part of Texas. It's a lot different than Round Rock. Lots of big mossy oaks, swamps, gators, stuff like that. It looks a lot like folks picture Louisiana. The deer are also a different sub-species. They are Avery Island whitetail, O.v.mcilhennyi. They are fairly pure too, because their rut starts in August and is over before other sub-species start breeding.

Have fun and good luck!

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 09/29/16 11:59 AM

Thanks! Really looking forward to the hunt. My other public hunts have been youth ones for my son in Bastrop and Colorado Bend. This one will be a different terrain for sure.
Thanks!
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 09/29/16 02:16 PM

Yes, there are lots of deer in this area. Like Palehorse said, not to big but plenty. Not sure what the park looks like since all the floods a few months ago. Should be a good one though. I will be interested to hear about the number of standby's there this year since they don't seem to report them accurately.

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 09/30/16 07:34 PM

Just counting days now... smile
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 10/07/16 11:02 AM

Just got an email saying I was selected as well. Dates are December 6-8
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 10/07/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Congrats!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 10/07/16 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Congrats!

Congrats I guess you got the second chance draw!

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 10/07/16 02:06 PM

I'll be there Nov 1-3. Still undecided between taking a 270 or a 30-30 lever.
Given the terrain, anyone who has hunted there before what would you recommend? The 30-30 has a scope, can't trust my eyes with open sights.

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 10/07/16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Congrats!

Congrats I guess you got the second chance draw!
that's what I was there thinking I'm pretty sure it said pending second draw before.

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 10/09/16 06:37 AM

So question for anyone who has hunted there in the past. If I kill a doe on day one and want to quarter it and put in the cooler do they have an area to discard whatever is left like guts and whatnot or do I just find a dumpster and toss it haha? Just curious bc it's 4 hours from home so don't want to use a local processor down there but also don't want to pack up and leave after one day.

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 11/14/16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: 12shotgun
I'll be there Nov 1-3. Still undecided between taking a 270 or a 30-30 lever.
Given the terrain, anyone who has hunted there before what would you recommend? The 30-30 has a scope, can't trust my eyes with open sights.
PM sent.

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 11/14/16 09:57 PM

Anyone else hunt brazos bend yet this year?

Re: Brazos Bend either-sex hunt - 11/15/16 02:52 AM

I went on the Nov 1-3 hunt, was hot as heck. I had no luck on my blinds, didn't see any deer at all, ofhers were more fortunate. There were 30 blinds and hunters picked a wooden chip with a number in it corresponding to a blind. Draw on Tuesday good for that evening and Wednesday morning, then another draw on noon Wednesday for that evening and Thursday morning. I drew 26 then 6; the last one had a functional feeder which went on at 4:30 pm, I expected deer to show up but did not see a thing. Blind 22 was a big producer with 2 bucks, a doe and a spike, 30 also produced some. Not sure about the numbers but there were probably 30ish deer taken if I had to guess. Some of us didn't see any. There were also a few pigs shot but not in mass numbers. It was a nice couple days away from work but would have been better had I seen deer. All in all the staff was great and helpful. Oh one thing, some blinds such as 22 are double blinds, so it may be on a different pile of wood chips for the draw, they made a few groups such as singles, doubles and short walk-in for those who could not/did not want to walk far. Blinds are as close as 20 yards to half a mile from where you get dropped off.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum