Texas Hunting Forum

Twin Buttes is now APH

Posted By: fishfree

Twin Buttes is now APH - 08/31/16 05:28 PM

Just went out to the Twin Buttes hunting area near Line Rd San Angelo. There is a brand new sign announcing it as APH and requiring the APH permit for entry.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Twin Buttes is now APH - 08/31/16 07:39 PM

I saw the info in the map booklet. I have never been there. How is the deer hunting? And do you know if water is available at any of the camping areas?

Re: Twin Buttes is now APH - 08/31/16 10:55 PM

I don't deer hunt but it has been very popular with the archery set. I've seen plenty and a few really nice ones.

When the Feds built the reservoir they put in nice campgrounds with full facilities- they are all gone now. The most that is left of the camp grounds are some shade structures.

The city (park operations?) picks up trash/litter sometimes but it is by most accounts a very trashy area. Mondays are the worst for trash left by visitors at the main lake. Lake is still way down.

There is no piped water but there is of course untreated lake water.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Twin Buttes is now APH - 09/02/16 02:08 AM

For those who have hunted Twin Buttes before and have questions beyond what's in the booklet, one of the main guys in charge of the area posted on another site:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603925
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Twin Buttes is now APH - 09/02/16 04:57 AM

Thanks for the above info. I did a search on Youtube for hunting info at Twin Buttes. No much to see. There were many videos on 4-wheelin. I read some reviews on TB. It is said to be like the wild West, and that littering is a real issue. I still don't have a good feel for the quality of the hunting. Anyone know if your camping equipment is safe, when you are out hunting?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Twin Buttes is now APH - 09/02/16 11:33 AM

I killed a lot of quail out there in the 90's. Most of the litter comes from college students out there getting drunk and having bonfires. Reservoir parties.

Re: Twin Buttes is now APH - 09/02/16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother Phil
Thanks for the above info. I did a search on Youtube for hunting info at Twin Buttes. No much to see. There were many videos on 4-wheelin. I read some reviews on TB. It is said to be like the wild West, and that littering is a real issue. I still don't have a good feel for the quality of the hunting. Anyone know if your camping equipment is safe, when you are out hunting?

That texasbowhunter site is the best place to ask this question but I'll say this- no one has ever messed with my truck and every hunter I've met has been friendly and outgoing. I've come across camps and I just gave them a wide berth to respect their privacy. Most hunter camping has been scattered as if in a wilderness area but now there will be designated locations.

From what I hear the deer hunting (meat not trophies) is good. I see a lot of deer and I see a lot of tracks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum