Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department expands its options to hunters

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department expands its options to hunters - 07/14/16 04:44 PM

Some good information on some new category's. And some stats on hunt apps cheers

Quote:

Opportunities to apply for drawings for permits to hunt nilgai, a non-native antelope, on three federal wildlife refuges in South Texas are part of this year's expanded public hunting program run by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

In a state where more than 97 percent of the landscape is privately owned and the right to access that property for hunting is almost universally sold to the highest bidder if it's allowed at all, a low-cost, high-quality hunting experience may be the toughest quarry Texas' million-plus hunters pursue.

Tens of thousands of Texas hunters - and a couple-thousand out-of-state hunters - find their best shot at an affordable hunt with at least a decent and often outstanding chance of success through the "drawn hunts" portion of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's public hunting program.

Those participating in TPWD's public hunting program, which this past week kicked its 2016-17 season into gear with the opening of its online operation, will have more options to target and almost 1,200 more chances to score one of the 8,705 hunt permits to be issued through a drawing of applications carrying only a $3-$10 per person fee.

MORE
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-...#photo-10544999

snip
Quote:
Switch to online

That 2013-14 season was the final season the agency used a paper-based system for its draw hunt program. In 2014-15, the agency switched to a wholly online system for applications and required electronic payment of fees. The move, which included scrapping the annual printed booklet listing hunts, included application cards and was mailed to all persons who had entered drawing the previous season, saved TPWD more than $100,000, agency staff said.

This past year, the program loosened rules that had limited persons to applying for only one hunt within a specific category. Hunters are now allowed to apply for as many hunts within a single category as they want. That liberalization spurred much of the increase in applications seen this past year.

That increased interest and participation reached beyond Texas' borders. This past year, 2,005 hunters from outside Texas, including hunters from every state except Rhode Island, submitted applications for the state's public hunt drawings, Dreibelbis said.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department expands its options to hunters - 07/14/16 08:14 PM

If it is about money, they are sure missing out on some that would be easy.

Why not a preference point only code? One reply was that it was not important because it is not a weighted point. Well Pennsylvania would dispute that. Take 2012 1 in every 26 applicants for the public elk hunt was for a PP only. 707 x $10 free money for nothing. Most drawn had over 10 points. The points can matter even if just extra drops in the hat.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-169809056.html
Texas instead has many applicants in years that applicant does not wish to draw put in for a hard to draw hunts or by adding non hunters on their app with zero PPs to average down with the intent not to draw and gain the point. Talking to hunters at the orientations it goes on more than tpwd knows. And they wonder why people don't show. Manipulating the draw with friends and family members got so bad in Arkansas they did away with their entire point system. It too could have been fixed.

Then there is non residents that pay the same entry and hunt fee as Texans. Missed money and more lost opportunity to residents. Oklahoma is a non weighted PP draw like Texas. They require non residents any current hunting license to apply. No telling how much revenue that state takes in just by nonresidents entering that state's public Elk hunt alone. There are over 30,000 applicants for OKs Wichita Mnt hunt. Many if not most of those non residents.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department expands its options to hunters - 07/15/16 12:07 AM

Keep yammering at them and someday somebody might listen...We all know TPW gets the short end of the MONEY Stick...lets let the out of stater's pay a premium like Texans do everywhere else.

And Yes I am guilty as charged with the way I've put in for hard to get hunts to build what's now the most insulting thing I ever heard...Loyalty Points. What a joke for a name.

Texas could have done a true Prefernce Point system just like every Rocky Mountain State back when Hector was a pup kinda years ago...but Nooo we got to be different and not capture the best use of the resource....'cause we got Awl Money to burn.

Ranting about it has been a waste of breath and interest, so I'll spend a couple bux at most... Big Woo, I spent $12 bux this year on App Fee's and preserved my 15 now going on 16 EXO points ...and forget about really trying to go somewhere to hunt in a Texas State property....and buy Lotto tickets instead in hopes of winning enough money to BUY my Own place to hunt.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum