Texas Hunting Forum

New to public land

Posted By: Nickbyrd

New to public land - 06/24/16 04:42 PM

I know absolutely zero about hunting on public land and have an itch that's needs to be scratched ...
So I have a couple of questions .
Is it free
Does it require special tags or formal paperwork
Do I have to contact someone to notify them I'm hunting on this land
I live in Johnson county where is the closest section of public land
Are these lands open year round
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: New to public land - 06/24/16 04:56 PM

And just looked on twpd website what's the deal with only shotguns and bows for hog are there any rifle permitted ones
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New to public land - 06/24/16 10:28 PM

Just look down a few threads and all the info is there. Even says it in the titles.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: New to public land - 06/25/16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Nickbyrd
I know absolutely zero about hunting on public land and have an itch that's needs to be scratched ...
So I have a couple of questions .
Is it free -- No.
Does it require special tags or formal paperwork -- Yes. You need the $48 annual public hunting permit in addition to a TX hunting license. You can get the APH anywhere you get license, or online.
Do I have to contact someone to notify them I'm hunting on this land -- Not contact, but some of the sites require filling out a short registration form.
I live in Johnson county where is the closest section of public land -- When you buy an APH, the state will send you a book with all the sites in it. You can also find maps online.
Are these lands open year round -- No. Each site has different rules for what you can hunt there, and when. Check each listing carefully.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum