Texas Hunting Forum

What does "Designated Access Point mean"?

Posted By: Noob Hunter

What does "Designated Access Point mean"? - 04/02/16 04:46 PM

Hi, I am really new to hunting, and I have a question about Designated Access Point.
Does that means I have to get into that public hunting resort through that point?

For example, When I open the map for "Ray Roberts PHLUnit #501" (http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/resources/RayRoberts_501.pdf)

As you can see, there are several Designated Access Point marked on the map. When I open the google satellite map, and found that point on map. There was only trees. No parking spot or anything. So, what's the point of Designated Access Point?
eek2
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What does "Designated Access Point mean"? - 04/02/16 05:54 PM

Some of those are just pull off spots with a small swivel post or multiple offset gate to walk through the fence! Parking is just pull off the roadway.....If they're not used a lot you might not even see the entry from aerial or satellite view.....
Posted By: Harrier

Re: What does "Designated Access Point mean"? - 04/02/16 05:58 PM

Yep, just like it sounds, the Designated Access Points on public hunting lands are the only spots where you're authorized to enter. A lot of these lands are adjacent to private property, and they don't want the hunters crawling all over someone else's land to get into the site. It also helps the game wardens when they're out checking licenses etc.

I haven't hunted at Ray Roberts, but at other WMAs the access points have signs marking the parking areas. There's usually a map of the site and sometimes an on-site registration post.

Good luck hunting, and check out the Public Hunting forum on THF for more public hunting info.

Re: What does "Designated Access Point mean"? - 04/03/16 05:21 AM

Thank You!

Re: What does "Designated Access Point mean"? - 04/03/16 05:21 AM

Thank You!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum