Texas Hunting Forum

Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 01/02/16 06:11 PM

Quote:
A sprawling old oak arches its back against the wind, bending its lanky arms all the way to the ground.

Those protective branches make the perfect backdrop for a campground, and one day Texans will pitch tents here at Powderhorn Ranch, near Matagorda Bay along the Gulf Coast.

They’ll train binoculars on impossibly pink roseate spoonbills, spy on egrets teetering through marshes on stiltlike legs, paddle kayaks in the bay or cast fishing lines into salt water. Some will catch a glimpse of the resident alligators, or hear the crash of a white-tailed buck charging through the underbrush.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/lifestyl...e-texas-/npsWp/

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 01/02/16 06:53 PM

Yummy looking place for sure...Loong way down there though...
Ron
Posted By: Mike H.

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 01/02/16 07:07 PM

Cool! I wonder if we'll see more of this in the future when (not if) the economy keeps heading south...I'm assuming the owners got tired of paying taxes or, as I've heard was the case at Elephant Mountain WMA, it's the result of a nasty divorce!

Mike H.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 01/02/16 11:53 PM

Just down the road from me. Looking forward to it opening.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 02/02/16 06:11 AM

I just read an interesting article on European Wild Boars and their introduction into the US. The owners of the Powderhorn ranch bought a large number of wild boar from zoos and released them on the ranch. Most escaped and bred with the feral hogs already in the area. That explains why the hogs here on the coast look more like the European Wild Boar. They are likely decendents of those released on the Powderhorn.

Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 02/02/16 07:02 PM

The hogs we have just north of Uvalde look like Russian boars, at least the big males. Its a long way from their but there is a bunch of high fenced places so im thinking some escaped up their as well.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 02/03/16 01:06 AM

It's a jewel to have in the park system for sure.
Posted By: GoBears870

Re: Powderhorn Ranch: Coastal land set to become Texas’ next big state park. - 02/12/16 04:25 PM

I was able to check out Powderhorn last year with some TPWD friends. The place is phenomenal. I haven't spent a ton of time on the coast but being there for a weekend got me hooked. I can't wait for it to be a fully-functioning state park and WMA - you can spend a whole week there and not run out of stuff to do or places to explore.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum