Texas Hunting Forum

Was anyone at the South Llano River State Park youth hunt this week?

Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Was anyone at the South Llano River State Park youth hunt this week? - 12/24/15 03:31 AM

My son and I are leaving this Sunday to go to the TPWD draw hunt at South Llano River State Park. They had another hunt there this week that ended today. Just curious if anybody here on the forum happened to be there. Would love to get some reports if so. Thanks!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Was anyone at the South Llano River State Park youth hunt this week? - 12/24/15 05:57 PM

cheers Best Wishes on up coming hunt... 2cents Never hunted the place, nor done draw hunts... Have hunted the WMA down road ever since it opened... Draw hunts every one has a signed area... Could tell hunters were have seen some up deer during archery hunt, give quardenance... Yet each hunt tis different just like each hunter has their own hunting prefferances... On hog hunts i do a lot of pudding one foot in front of the other ... scratch usualy why i huntsolo ... Going inta the thick hard ta reach areas, tis not for every one... Bye next week things might have change.. An way you hunt might be differnt from last person who hunted that area... Never hunted the place so like said, 2cents bout the place, wish was more help... Hopefully some of other hunters more familiar with area can be more helpful... Merry Christmas . flag
Posted By: sleepyfish

Re: Was anyone at the South Llano River State Park youth hunt this week? - 12/25/15 01:44 AM

I took both my sons they managed to shoot two small whitetail bucks. We hunted in blind number seven we saw axis deer every day except the last day but they were always moving fast or too far away 250 yards plus. We did see two more whitetail bucks the last day including a decent size 8 pt. I can't remember exactly how many animals were taken but it was kinda slow according to the staff. I think 9 hunters took 4 axis including two decent bucks and 4 whitetail bucks one was a nice 8 pt. I think two kids did not shoot anything but they did see animals. One kid saw 4 decent size whitetail but again the deer were always moving and in the brush. I would recommend putting a lot of corn out it seemed to attract the younger deer and allowed for a shot. The axis did not seem to care for the corn. We also saw hogs. My oldest boy is usually a good shot but he missed a axis doe and a whitetail doe soooo we could of had four deer. I also feel like my kids are used too shooting at moderate ranges 100 to 150 yds and usually at animals not moving under a feeder or eating corn. They had difficulty picking up animals in the grass. I think if I would have hunting I could have easily shot a couple of axis and a doe and a buck. I think all the blinds had oppurtunities but the animals were very skittish.
Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: Was anyone at the South Llano River State Park youth hunt this week? - 12/25/15 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: sleepyfish
I took both my sons they managed to shoot two small whitetail bucks. We hunted in blind number seven we saw axis deer every day except the last day but they were always moving fast or too far away 250 yards plus. We did see two more whitetail bucks the last day including a decent size 8 pt. I can't remember exactly how many animals were taken but it was kinda slow according to the staff. I think 9 hunters took 4 axis including two decent bucks and 4 whitetail bucks one was a nice 8 pt. I think two kids did not shoot anything but they did see animals. One kid saw 4 decent size whitetail but again the deer were always moving and in the brush. I would recommend putting a lot of corn out it seemed to attract the younger deer and allowed for a shot. The axis did not seem to care for the corn. We also saw hogs. My oldest boy is usually a good shot but he missed a axis doe and a whitetail doe soooo we could of had four deer. I also feel like my kids are used too shooting at moderate ranges 100 to 150 yds and usually at animals not moving under a feeder or eating corn. They had difficulty picking up animals in the grass. I think if I would have hunting I could have easily shot a couple of axis and a doe and a buck. I think all the blinds had oppurtunities but the animals were very skittish.

Thank you sleepyfish for the info and update! Congrats to your sons on the Bucks! Sounds like y'all had a good time! We are heading down there Sunday and plan on camping in the park. Gonna be cold so I hope we can handle it. Haha!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum