Texas Hunting Forum

Inks Lake hunting report

Posted By: crosshare

Inks Lake hunting report - 12/14/15 03:43 PM

Got back from the either sex hunt held last week at Inks Lake State Park. I forgot whom was going down later so I figured I'd just post up here.
I remember it was said before to go a day early and scout and see stands and all. Well, forget that! There are stands positioned/located at places that will never be found hiking around.
I'm not 100% sure but from talking with the other hunters there it sounds like every stand has a feeder. They go off at 7 and 4 and run about 4 to 5 seconds. It was warm during our hunt but everyone saw deer and everybody went home with deer. I only saw bucks at my stand and others only saw does. The guy that manages the hunt does what he can do to put you in place to see deer. They take you out about 530 to 6 and come and pick you back up around 10. Afternoons you go out at 2 and they come to get you at dark. If you put something down and are ready to come back all you have to do is text them or call and they are on the way.
Stands- some stands have chairs and others just have a bench and no back. So a stadium seat comes in handy if you get a stand without a chair.
I don't think everyone filled there allotted tags this year but with the weather and the green pickings it was tough.
To sum it all up: beautiful place, great people, and healthy deer waiting to go in the cooler up
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/15/15 07:23 PM

CH that was prolly me that you asked about, my GDA Hunt is scheduled mid January if my schedule holds together - we Listed the House with a realtor yesterday, after my Investor it was promised to backed out 2 weeks ago after 5 years of him saying "I'll write you check anytime". Good to see you scored and had a good trip. Sounds like you'd prolly go back next year....and the perfect kinda hunt for an old codger like me, hunting by himself.

I always tell folks to go down early anywhere they can get out to walk the ground on SP Lottery Hunts, even if it is not around the actual hunting area, to get a feel for the look of the land & general landmarks.

"Everybody saw deer" IMO is phenominal on a SP Lottery Hunt, from my experiences at 3 trips to GRSP, Walter Buck WMA (next door to and overlooking SLRSP), Daughtrey, Lake Mineral Wells, Garner and couple others. Anybody see any hogs or "furrin" critters?
Ron

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/17/15 07:19 PM

Just got off the phone with Chris, the Hunt Mgr @ Inks SP. Said they just finished out this weeks GDA hunt at 11am today and had 9 guys take 13 deer, and no one went home empty handed. Sez still NO Hogs, but all the adjacent properties got'em. Think's it must be Inks's Magic Fence Coatings keepn'em out...that he's thinking about Patenting.

Chris is easy to talk to and very informative. I'm looking forward to pushing to make this Hunt happen next month, even if the BH has to show & sell the house by herself .... unless the DinL has enough problems 'tween now and then that I need to holdup my end of the household together in this Roseann Roseanna Danna world we live in.
Ron
Posted By: crosshare

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/17/15 08:32 PM

WC, only fuzzy critter I saw was a hill country mountain lion (house cat) that came out of the brush and ran up to my stand. No hogs where seen and Chris said there was only one spot they have ever shot a hog and that was down by Longhorn.
I'll probably never get drawn again for a hunt but I'd go back. I stayed in the park and did some fishing when I was there and got some great pics of ducks on the lake.
Hope you can make it and you should even if it's only for a day.

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/18/15 12:31 AM

CH ...as I live Corp front & waterview at Lake Texoma on the Little Mineral Arm, I can appreciate seeing lots of waterfowl if you don't get to see them usually. All of a sudden we've got a large flock 100/200 of Greater Canadians hanging out in the creek and park in front of the house, and the non resident mallards have taken over sleeping & pooping on my boathouse again. My French Brittany wakes everybody up every morning just for fun, on her way to chase tree rats. PTL the Lake is finally going down again....just in time for Spring rains.

The weekly Hagarmen Refuge WMA Newsletter I got today sez they've counted 4500+ Snows, 1500+ Pintails and couple K of mixed puddle ducks so far this week during the Christmas Bird Count that just finished.

Becky, the Inks Lake SP volunteer who answered the phone today, told me about the "Mountain Lion" sightings her husband had told her about...with smile in her voice.

Seems all these folks are super friendly, anxious to please with a healthy sense of humor to my teasing....and a good place to be whatever the purpose of the trip. I'm lookin forward to it for sure.

Reminds me of the georgous huge Black & White tomcat that belonged to the Guadalupe River SP mgr - Byron "Smith-Jones" or whatever his double name was - that liked keeping me company one year, and would come to see me everytime I climbed into the tripod located couple hunnert yards behind the Mgr's house. He was my alarm bell/scout and would perk up, even standing at Alert from his nap at the foot of the tripod, or nearby mouse hunt anytime game critters would wander through on the far side of the TPW fence 3-400 yards away...while I was watching the brushy area on my side of the fence off to another side. Prolly scared of the hogs, several nearby blinds were killing. I Didn't score that trip, but the fond memory of that cat has stayed with me. grin
Ron
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/19/15 02:39 PM

Where exactly is this Inks Lake? I've heard of it.
And WC, I live on Little Mineral too! Heck, we may be neighbors? I'm in Simmons Shores.

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/19/15 05:10 PM

I'm up the street from you around the Light House entrance...my boathouse is across the creek from the Coors/Highland Shores HOA Concession.

The teeny tiny 1600 acre Inks Lake & Longhorn Caverns SP are on the 2nd lake down from the very top end of the Colorado River... next lake below Lake Buchanan, just 9 miles west of Burnet, in Burnet County aka Hwy 281 @ Hwy 29 west of Georgetown. Beautimous Classic Texas Hill Country of granite, mesquite, live oak, pear cactus, blubonnets and rattlesnakes on the north side of the river...about 5-6 hours southwest of Grayson County.

Burnet County & the surrounding counties are one of my most favorite places in the US, and why we have been looking to relocate for years, to get closer to extended family that have migrated to Fayette, Travis, Hayes & ?Comal counties & access the extensive VA services in McLennan & Bell counties, and be able to continue to maintain our weekly medical care obligations to family in Dallas.
Ron

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/20/15 05:06 PM

I see. My ex in-laws use to run Preston Fishing Camp, back during the 90's flood. That's why they no longer run it, lol.
And thanks for the info. I've always heard about it, but wasn't sure about the location.
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/20/15 11:18 PM

Congrats one a fruitful hunt. I have hunted 3 state parks and saw tons of deer each time. Problem was that they were mostly to small to legally take. That doesn't mean i wouldn't go back. Had a great time in those places and met some great folks. Post some pics if you have time.

Thanks,
CM

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/21/15 05:00 AM

DG, I've enjoyed my time on Texoma, we've owned the property 17 years, and been here full time for 10 after it was gettijg real close to get ready for my time, until the Dallas VA put me back together. But fixin' the boathouse every couple years is getting tiresome plus more and more expensive every time thses days, after another highwater event...none like this year though. Got some kinda scary looking UP at the roof of the boathouse from the kitchen window, that was getting closer to the house every day there for a while. I got off light this year though, my cables held, and I didn't have to chase the boathouse over at the Islands like couple guys next to me did last time before this one...mine just got left in the middle of the pasture still tied to the landing with 1/2" steel, instead of up in the willow tree like the guy across from me....and the BH caught fish all fall again with a 28"er and a just under 5lb Small mouth off the washed out ramp topping the list.

We've got family scattered all over Central Texas, after we all started out in Dallas that I'd really like to see more than every 5-10 years, but need to keep our primary job of back stopping family medical commitments in Dallas covered until that situation is inevitably resolved prolly sooner than later...and a real PIA coming down from the north fighting 50 miles of North Dallas/Plano/McKinney traffic down to Central & Loop 12, UTSWMedSchool or big Baylor 3-5 days a week some weeks.
Ron

Re: Inks Lake hunting report - 12/21/15 01:53 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum