Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice?

Posted By: Bownhead

Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 11/11/15 02:13 AM

Well I got the golden ticket for Chap WMA . Just wondering what compartments anyone has hunted and how to set up. Suggestions on compartments and areas/blinds to set up on. Have a couple of six foot tripods and a ground blind. Is it better to hunt on roads senderos or back in the brush ? I think we get to bait with corn so that should help. Also wondering if rattling will work Second week in December down there ? Also as far as the campground anyone know how many sites they have, and will a small trailer be ok in the camping area as long a I'm not using a generator ? Any advice appreciated it's gonna be a long 4 weeks until hunt gets here.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 11/12/15 10:49 PM

Have hunted the Chap 3 times in 4 years. Gun deer, Archery deer, and Youth deer. Fantastic place to hunt, but takes a ton of points to be lucky enough to draw. Don't think there is a bad compartment on the place, and if you do struggle to see deer they will often move you to another open one. Their elevated stands are set up more for rifle hunting, and the box blinds are especially easy for the youth to hunt out of better. Lots of javelina in all the compartments. Pigs are there, but don't kill a lot of them. They just killed a huge male warthog on the management deer hunt (156# dressed), and posted pictures today on their FaceBook page.... A pop-up blind would be your best bet, or a really well set up natural ground blind. Don't be cutting a lot of green brush, or you will be lectured! smile The baiting really helps, and we have used a mixture of corn and other attractants to our advantage. Good luck, it's gonna be great fun.

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 11/13/15 01:21 AM

Thanks and don't want to get anyone mad but I was actually drawn with one point. I was drawn for Mason Mountain archery last year and shot a management 6 point. I have bought lottery tickets but only lucky on public hunts smile Appreciate the info. Keep 'email coming.
Posted By: safdm44

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 12/01/15 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Bownhead
Thanks and don't want to get anyone mad but I was actually drawn with one point. I was drawn for Mason Mountain archery last year and shot a management 6 point. I have bought lottery tickets but only lucky on public hunts smile Appreciate the info. Keep 'email coming.

I got drawn for the same hunt, I only had 5 points....Hope we get something!

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 12/02/15 01:24 AM

Safdam44 hope to see you there. I'll be there staying in my 1963 airstream Bambi in the camping area drop by for a beer. Not sure if you have been to the chap facebook page but they have the compartment drawing order and compartment map. I've been glued too google earth checking out the area .
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 12/02/15 01:57 AM

Congrats and good luck to the both of you.
Posted By: Hen-Killer

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 12/05/15 05:06 AM

I hope one of yall shoot a warthog
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Drawn for Chapparal WMA December archery any advice? - 12/06/15 09:23 PM

Get in stand early and stay all day!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum