Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone Tried Stand By Hunting at Guad SP or Govt Canyon?

Posted By: MikeTX

Anyone Tried Stand By Hunting at Guad SP or Govt Canyon? - 11/07/15 01:01 PM

I wasn't drawn for either area and see the many applications for limited slots (500+ for 5 slots) so I'm not sure it's worth the time to show up waiting for a stand by.

Has anyone had experiences in either of those areas?
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Anyone Tried Stand By Hunting at Guad SP or Govt Canyon? - 11/07/15 04:23 PM

At GRSP the standby hunters also have a potential of qualifying for the other nearby location too...or at least did years ago the last time I got drawn for GRSP and went thru the Hunters Talk with the other place's hunters too.

Can't say about Gvt Canyon, but with it's proximity to the SA Metro area..I'd doubt there will be any SB's anymore anywhere down there within 100 miles of SA, especially with the advent of the 2nd Drawing available to TPW's Hunt planners.

I'd get lots more miles away from SA or Austin to look for a Stand By opportunity....and rather than waste myu time on the road, I'd let my fingers do the walking and spend time on the phone talking to SP/WMA Mgr's the week before the Hunt Date & I made the trip.
JMHO & YMMV

Re: Anyone Tried Stand By Hunting at Guad SP or Govt Canyon? - 11/07/15 05:06 PM

Thanks...are you calling the number listed for the state park the week before or is it another number listed on a TPWD Hunting page?
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Anyone Tried Stand By Hunting at Guad SP or Govt Canyon? - 11/08/15 12:59 AM

I Start by calling the SP's listed Phone # and talking to whoever answers the phone about who to talk to & if I can reach them off the Listed # or is there another # I should be calling. FWIW I LUV to get to talk to the Bio Guys if at all possible, 'cause they got all the straight skinny on things, and frequently the SP Directors are too busy "managing" (aka playing politics with Austin) the place to spend any time talking to the Great Unwashed Hunting Public about a time & $$ consuming Hunting Program...Getting MORE Camping & Day Use tourist $$'s are the bottom line issues for the SP Mgr's has been my experience in most SP Operations.

The WMA's are totally different story & run by the Game Mgr - Bio Guys...NO CAMPERS or tourists to be concerned with.
JMHO & YMMV ...based on my personal experiences 1st Hand.
Ron

Re: Anyone Tried Stand By Hunting at Guad SP or Govt Canyon? - 11/08/15 04:30 PM

Ron,

Thanks for the great advice. I may have to research some WMAs.

Mike
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum