Texas Hunting Forum

Bowhunting the Sam

Posted By: chital_shikari

Bowhunting the Sam - 10/23/15 10:54 PM

I've got a friend whom i just re-met today, and he told me he a has a 60# recurve and he shoots Toxic broadheads, and is a decent shot. He doesn't have a stand or blind, but has apparently found the hidey hole of all deer in the area. He tells me his problem is that walking in, he always spooks 2-4 deer. What should he do?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Bowhunting the Sam - 10/23/15 11:01 PM

Not walk in so far and wait for them to move, they have to get up and go somewhere to feed and drink. Figure out where they go and set up there to cut them off
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Bowhunting the Sam - 10/23/15 11:46 PM

confused2 morning hunt, evening hunt, more info. Sounds like bedding area... You've got some impresive pic's of game what you think ? Ricky got good tip , set up farther back in tree stand were can observe movement, wind, cary pocket note book & pen write down info...Tough ta say with out seeing set up.. flag
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Bowhunting the Sam - 10/24/15 12:54 AM

He needs to go back in the middle of the day, and find a different route into his hunting spot, preferably utilizing the wind to not blow his scent into the bedding area.

You talking about the Sam Houston National forest?
Posted By: MexicanTexan

Re: Bowhunting the Sam - 10/25/15 09:48 PM

man i swear to go i thought you were talking about me when i was reading your post i also have a #60 recurve with toxics
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Bowhunting the Sam - 10/28/15 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
confused2 morning hunt, evening hunt, more info. Sounds like bedding area... You've got some impresive pic's of game what you think ? Ricky got good tip , set up farther back in tree stand were can observe movement, wind, cary pocket note book & pen write down info...Tough ta say with out seeing set up.. flag
I have no idea. My dad shot down my idea of going out with him on opening day of gun season, so I doubt I'm ever gonna see his spot. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a bedding area. Thing is, he doesn't have a blind or stand, so should I tell him to ambush the trail and at what time?
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: Bowhunting the Sam - 11/02/15 01:41 AM

I had a chance to get out of the house, so even with shady weather I went last night and this morning. I saw a total of six deer. One fawn and doe, the rest not sure what sex but three were quite large. Spooked them up so really only saw the bodies and tails bouncing away from me. One kept snorting and would stop...I crept further and it would take off snorting again. Never could see if it was legal shooter.

I was able to stalk and get within 30 yards of a nice sized hog, but i missed low with my shot. This was my first trip to the sam going in only looking at aerial maps and topography to see if I could find any pinch points. It was quite promising how many deer I saw. Anyways. I was just sharing my experience. I tried stalking and aparently im not very good at it. Hahaha.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum