Texas Hunting Forum

The Sam

Posted By: driftwood257

The Sam - 10/01/15 04:25 PM

Just got an email from TP&W that said I was drawn for my antlerless permit.
....SWEET....That sure takes a load off...Didn't get drawn last year so Im real happy.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: The Sam - 10/01/15 06:16 PM

I got mine too!!!

Was my first year to apply and I got it. I think it was a 50/50 chance so its not like drawing at Big Bend Ranch SP but I am excited anyways.

The last 2 years I saw tons of does and no bucks. Now that I have a permit maybe a buck will come out for me.
Posted By: quickerNu

Re: The Sam - 10/05/15 05:02 AM

My daughter just got selected, too. Very excited, her first year hunting!
Posted By: fishingoncredit

Re: The Sam - 10/05/15 05:07 AM

Nice y'all I was also drawn for an antlerless permit for sam! I told my dad well we've got options now old man lol!!
Posted By: Harrier

Re: The Sam - 10/06/15 06:01 PM

I got my antlerless permit for SHNF too. I scouted out there on Sunday and spooked a couple of deer among some pines. Also spooked a hiker on the Lone Star Trail.

Re: The Sam - 10/06/15 08:50 PM

Spooked a hiker.....thats funny roflmao

Re: The Sam - 10/06/15 09:33 PM

He probably thought you were bigfoot! LOL
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: The Sam - 10/07/15 10:33 AM

I've been thinking about hunting the NF, I've never done and don't where to start lol, I live right by it so I would be able to hunt more often than I do now, I'm worried about leaving my truck parked out there all day and stuff like that, any of y'all had any issues with your vehicle being messed with?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: The Sam - 10/07/15 11:39 AM

nidea Hunt the OSBWMA it just down the road... Never heard of problems nor had any... Heard about many of the other WMA , break ins , crack houses & such.. Went ta several, just been lucky... Every thing going high-tech... At OSBWMA used ta fill out cards on arivel, & leaving... Hunters are the eyes & ears of the woods.. Heard the saying many times if a tree falls in the woods & no ones thar.. Does it make a sound been doing resurch on it.. rofl ya'll probly didn't hear it but i did... They call me nobody ... Some that have hunted WMA know what i'm talken about, filling out cards, how many deer squirrels hogs seen & such... Had ta put licence plates, let them know who's supose ta be their whos not.. Last couple years they done away with it...
This is the age of high-tech ... nidea hmm, hidden camera's, listening devices.. Yagh never know... If yagh worry about all the rummors, hunt close ta the parking area's... But dont get mad if people walk threw trying ta find place ta hunt.. Its open ta public... Stay safe.. Its alternative ta high price leases... 98% of people out their ta hunt... Doing low income jobs, having ta hear how bad times are at work... flag

Re: The Sam - 10/07/15 03:40 PM

knock on wood but so far I have never had an issue
with my truck being messed with.
And I have hunter NF for over 30 years

Re: The Sam - 10/12/15 11:49 PM

I usually hunt in February and march after the deer crowd has moved on and so far I havent had any problems or even seen another hunter or parked vehicle over the past few years

I hunted a few times during deer season last year and saw a few hunters and trucks and everybody did their own thing and no problems

Re: The Sam - 10/16/15 04:52 PM

Have any of yall got your permits in the mail yet.
Been checking the mail every day but nothing so far.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: The Sam - 10/16/15 08:59 PM

Mine was in the mailbox when I got home this afternoon.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: The Sam - 10/16/15 10:43 PM

Still waiting on the mail myself!

Re: The Sam - 10/18/15 03:31 PM

Finally came yesterday!!!! banana

Re: The Sam - 10/18/15 04:38 PM

cheers Congrats ta all. flag

Re: The Sam - 10/18/15 07:10 PM

I have my tag in hand now. Couple of questions for those that know.

Once I get the deer to where it is being processed do I keep the tag for TPWD? or just throw it away or what?

I believe I do not need to use any tag from my actual hunting license and that is to remain untouched but in my pocket of course.

Just making sure for my benefit and others. You know how everything has to be spot on with Johnny Law warden or you are paying a ticket. No disrespect to the wardens I love those guys and appreciate the heck out of what they do.

Thanks

Re: The Sam - 10/19/15 06:29 PM

You still have to use a tag from your hunting license & the anterless permit.
Once at the final destination (processor...home ...ect..)
you can get rid if it.
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: The Sam - 10/21/15 05:55 PM

You have to use the tag from your license. The anterless permit just gives you the permission to take a doe, while those without a permit can only take a buck from the NF.

Re: The Sam - 10/21/15 11:10 PM

glad I asked!!

Re: The Sam - 10/21/15 11:11 PM

I am ready to get all those deer hunters out of my personal pig hunting areas and then we will be good for awhile!! LOL
Posted By: sac-a-lait

Re: The Sam - 10/24/15 02:09 AM

The way I understand it your permit is a tag you do not have to use a tag from your license. I would contact the TPWD or Game Warden to make sure. It does not say anywhere on the permit that you have to use a tag from your license.

Re: The Sam - 10/27/15 12:13 PM

What about Muzzleloader season Jan 4-17th? Do you need to have a permit for the SHNF to take anterless then? Its not exactly written that way.
Posted By: sac-a-lait

Re: The Sam - 10/28/15 01:56 AM

Antlerless permit is not required only tag from your license. Permit is only good from Nov. 7 thru Jan. 3
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: The Sam - 10/29/15 02:05 PM

On the legal game legend of the map it specifically states in the archery only and muzzleloader seasons "No USFS Antlerless Deer Permit required."

Re: The Sam - 10/29/15 08:31 PM

if you get a doe and you dont use a tag from you license
Stop a GW and ask...let me know how works out.

More info : yall do know that opening weekend in SHNF their is
a mandatory check in for all deer at the hunters camp areas.

Re: The Sam - 11/06/15 02:06 AM

Good luck to the other public hunters this weekend. Stay safe and dont shoot me! Hahaha

Re: The Sam - 11/06/15 03:38 PM

With this rain my clients for tmrw may cancel and if so I may have to go hunt in the rain. I found an area where it looks like they were bedding down and tons of tracks after that rain a few days ago. I also saw 2 other sets of foot prints in the area too. May have to head out about 3:30 am and sit in the rain for my first ever opening morning hunt.

watch for falling limbs guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

especially if it is windy or rainy!

Re: The Sam - 11/06/15 04:16 PM

Its looking like saturday afternoon and sunday will be nice. I might have to go duck hunting saturday morning and then head up to the Sam saturday afternoon. I have only been there once, so I am still trying to find a good spot. I did spook up a bunch of deer (6) last weekend, but couldnt tell if any were bucks. Now that bow season is over, Im really hoping I see a legal buck because I didnt hit the deadline to even apply for the anterless permit.

Do you prefer to have more of an open shooting lane, or be tucked away in deeper trees/woods? I have been looking at topo maps and google earth and have found some openings, but wonder what the consensus is out there. Anyone seeing rut activity in the Sam? Im guessing if the rut is hitting, more open area may be better, but also being public land it may be better to be tucked away more (to be safer and because pressure may keep deer in the woods).

Re: The Sam - 11/07/15 03:17 PM

Anyone braving the weather this morning?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: The Sam - 11/07/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
Anyone braving the weather this morning?

I'm here, in a tree, in the rain, tree swaying back and forth. Not a lot moving right now. Maybe when the rain lets up and the rest of the hunters start getting out of their trucks. Glad I bought the water proof phone.

Re: The Sam - 11/07/15 05:28 PM

I am there with you in spirit Palehorse.

I got up at 3:30 AM and decided it wasnt worth it. It is now 11:30 and I keep thinking I need to head out there for the evening hunt but it just doesnt look good on the radar for such a long drive especially when I can hunt during the week.

I wish I was there right now rain or not!

Re: The Sam - 11/07/15 06:47 PM

Since I made this thread before I have seen the wind switch from North to West to East.

Better have some good scent control boys because that wind is swirlin!

Re: The Sam - 11/07/15 09:11 PM

Well, I'm not going home empty handed. About 30 min ago, a sounder of hogs came through and I dropped a pretty good sized sow. It's laying there within sight and not moving. Hoping something else will come wandering through.

Re: The Sam - 11/08/15 01:12 AM

I made it up for a few hours to scope my spot for tomorrow and mark my path to the tree ill be in. I sat in one spot for anaboutout 30 min at sunset and had two doe in my sights for about 10 min. I was hoping to at least see a spike or something I could shoot. Ill be in a tree in the morning. Good luck to everyone else!

Re: The Sam - 11/08/15 04:00 AM

cheers flag

Re: The Sam - 11/08/15 05:14 PM

Spike down! got my first deer! Pics and story to come.
Posted By:

Re: The Sam - 11/09/15 01:12 PM

I toughed it out in the rain all weekend, hunted all day Saturday in the rain, in a tree. Ive been here 5 days and have not seen a single live animal other than a bird. Once again, Sam kicked my [censored]...beyond frustrated. Starting to really get down on myself after hearing all these success stories...i just wish i knew what im doing wrong. Its sure not for lack of effort...i bust my butt

Re: The Sam - 11/09/15 01:57 PM

I had begginers luck. Well...maybe. I did scout sat evening and found a spot where I saw two does at sunset. i would suggest (and maybe its wrong) to get out of the stand and scout and stalk. Look for any sign of scrapes, poop, bedding, etc. Im sure you already know. Even go maybe a little faster than notmal to see if you spook up any and mark those spots. Last weekend during bow I saw 6 deer. Saw two does sat at sunset and pucked a spot that was pretty thick and had quite a few fallen trees. My max visability was about 80 yards, but the spike I got was only about 20-30 yards when I first saw him pop out. I also hunted the wind. Look at the forecast and dont get up wind of where you plan to hunt. Lastly I hung some cotton in the area I was going to hunt the night before with generic cheap doe pee. Not sure if it helped. Feel free to pm me if you want to know where I went. I cant get anything else this year and dont mind sharing where I was..

Re: The Sam - 11/09/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
Feel free to pm me if you want to know where I went. I cant get anything else this year and dont mind sharing where I was..

That's very nice of you compadre, but I would keep that under my hat. I've had several spots overrun and ruined because I told one person. Just my 2cents
Congrats again!

Re: The Sam - 11/09/15 02:53 PM

Yeah. The way I figure is its public. Im new and appreciate tips and pointers and dont mind sharing. If its loaded next year there 162000 more acres to go scout:) also...anyone going where I did has to earn it. Its far back.. takes at least 30-40 minutes just to get to the tree from where you park and it took MUCH longer dragging the deer out. If somekne want to give that a shot they earn it too:) I dont plan to post it publicly, but I dont mind helping others out. Karma will pay it back in one way or another.

Re: The Sam - 11/09/15 08:26 PM

Cool Deal Indy. I am quite impressed that you got in there and got it done so fast.

Last Monday I went and scouted out a spot and I found a ton of tracks in one area. I finally had this morning off to go sit on a log I had picked out on my scouting session. Wind was in my favor so I got in there about sunup and didnt see a thing. About 9:45am I decided I better scout the area a little better find a better a spot and see what fresh tracks I could find. Last week I did find a ton of tracks and 1 big heavy set of deer trax. After the rains this weekend most of those trax were washed away but those big trax were fresh again in the same spot heading east to west again. Looks like I have a nice deer to target even though I bet he is moving at night. A few hog tracks also on the same trail. Cant wait till I can go camp there for a day or 2 so I can figure out this deers movements. There is a private tract of land about a 1/2 mile East of where I am set up so my guess is that he is staying over there until after dark and then heading back west to bed down I guess.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum