Texas Hunting Forum

Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma

Posted By: Duke4456

Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma - 09/30/15 06:50 PM

I am going to be using my boat to get to my stand on a wma this weekend I have never done this before and was wondering if anybody on here does and if so is there anything I need to be aware of. I am new to the forum by the way.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma - 09/30/15 10:47 PM

welcome ta THF.. Have used jon boat & canoe at WMA down the road a bit... It has very high steap banks... rofl Make sure ya tie boat up... Boats can be an asset... Most WMA gotta do lot of walking at times... Safe hunting... flag

Re: Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma - 09/30/15 11:14 PM

Thanks. Yea I decided to try to boat in because so many people hunt within a half of the entrances

Re: Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma - 09/30/15 11:14 PM

Half mile
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma - 10/01/15 01:47 PM

Used my kayak before and will do it again. As said above you may not be able to get out where ya want do to steep muddy banks. Also log jams from time to time could be a problem etc. Depends a lot on the creek or river and water level.

On another WMA I know that boarders a lake, I know of people who used boats to get to Islands to pig hunt.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Boating in to bow hunting spot on wma - 10/01/15 05:16 PM

cheers Some good points... Usualy huntsolo am usdta the log jams steap banks... Tried talken several inta doing the canoe thing... rofl just be carefull getting out of canoe, took swim one day... Never tried kayak, mines old & barely holds me... Been ta WOWMA with canoe... Islands also hold deer.. Had a 13"+ with in bow range, twas bout when had ta start turning down my 70# bow down.. Messed it up at work years ago falling of steps... Kept working, that night it popped out, slowly gotten worse.. cheers good thread... Boat is easier than dragging deer or back packing hog when ya several miles back... Best Wishes... Safe hunten... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum