Texas Hunting Forum

Public hunting near Collin County

Posted By: Mike Wilson

Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 01:53 PM

Haven't put any real time into hunting since I was a kid in Alabama. Texas is obviously different. Not ready to sink a lot of money into a lease but my son and daughter really want to get into shooting. What I am looking for is safe areas to hunt pigs, or varmints. I will teach them safety first and we will spend time shooting at ranges.
Myself, I want to get into bowhunting as I have killed plenty of deer with rifles and shotguns growing up. While they were little and money was tight, I focused on crappie fishing and pretty much did nothing else. So I need some pointers from you guys who have lots more time in.

My daughter is 21 and son is 18. They have fished with me but never really did any shooting. I want to do something new with them that we can enjoy together.

Not a rookie. Just been a long time
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 04:24 PM

welcome ta THF check at Walmarts about the $48.00 public land permits. If ya get permit they send booklet with places & info. Think Collin county has a WMA open ta public. Others in here could tell ya more. Have had good hunting at one down the road. Best wishes flag
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 04:54 PM

Looking in an older book. Collin county shows ta have Dove & small game Supplemment hunts. Send Sniper John a pm. He may have more info. cheers We went ta public land years ago with the highet cost of leasing & lower income ta spend
scraping ta get the $48.00 for a hog hunt just down road. Dogs keeping hogs & deer away from feeders & food plots here. Best wishes flag

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 06:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to get involved more. I may end up reaching out to family and friends in Alabama and go do some hunting there too. will do on the WMA permits
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 06:56 PM

These aren't far away. I believe LBJ is still shotgun/bow only. You will only need your hunting license to hunt out there. At Caddo you can use regular firearms but I believe you need the public land permit that colt.45 alluded to in the above posts in addition to a hunting license.

Caddo/LBJ National Grasslands

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 07:17 PM

Ok, I have heard of both of those. The Grasslands I've heard had some decent fishing. Will look at that closer
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/16/15 07:30 PM

Mike, check with the Lake Lavon Corps of Engineers office. There is public hunting on some areas around the lake for hogs. You have to obtain a yearly permit from the project office.

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 02/17/15 12:48 AM

John, I wish I could get a permit to hog hunt below Lavon. That bunch of woods is overrun with them. I will look into it.
Posted By: Stegar

Re: Public hunting near Collin County - 03/01/15 02:10 PM

go to the corps office. you can hunt with shotgun above hwy 380, bow only below. the permit is free you just need a Hunting license and a hunters education certification.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum