Texas Hunting Forum

? OSBWMA

Posted By: 1860.colt

? OSBWMA - 01/26/15 04:38 AM

any one seeing hogs? havent gotten permit yet flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 01/26/15 04:34 PM

popcorn they might be thinned out. seem some good sign last year, limited on time. & last trip seen couple small ones. see few reports from other public land were, seeimg hogs & sign, few taken. Tis not Free Hunt, more of a working class hunt. best wishes. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 01/26/15 05:52 PM

tis warmen up out thar. be a nice day ta be wondering about the woods, or purched in tree stand. leaves off the trees, have walked up on many hogs, downed trees give em shade & means ta cool down. ticks, flea's, & chiggers. hog with 30# of sausage, & back straps grillen & chillen time. best wishes flag
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: ? OSBWMA - 01/28/15 02:10 AM

Do you strictly hunt hogs at OSBWMA?

Re: ? OSBWMA - 01/28/15 05:00 AM

mostly for hogs. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 01/28/15 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
Do you strictly hunt hogs at OSBWMA?

did the archery deer & hogs up to the 2013-2014 hunts climber. few squirrel hog hunts shotgun & rim fire or muzzleloader hunts. & yes the hog general hunts after deer season. few morning hunts during, squral hog hunt in May. It realy not worth it, not as young, & warm weather, need ta get hogs on ice fast. like most public or privet land, hogs get alot of pressure. OSB is day hunts for hogs. just like most other public land. less presute at night from surrounding privet land. tis why say: finding hogs easy part, . work starts getting hogs out. Back packing works best. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/01/15 05:03 PM

scratch alot has changed since first got on THF. Used ta see alot of looking for Free Hog Hunts . My cell phone is always roaming. Thinking why have ta log in whin havent logged out. Some pic's dont show up, just get blue square with a ? mark. i do majority of my hog hunting on WMA. Not every one can aford high prices of hunting. Low income family here. So started posting about Public hunts for hogs. $48.00 permit. fFor those checking ta see if i'm doting my t's & crossing my i's forgive me for my bad attempt at hummor. Got light rain this morning. So it might be little wet down at OSBWMA. Easy part is finding hogs. Getting hogs out is were work begins. Best wishes flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/01/15 06:48 PM

Does the Public Hunting permit expire Sept 1 or does it last a year from the day of purchase?

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/01/15 07:14 PM

My 2013-2014 permit expired 8-31-14. Tagged along with a friend, video a bow hunt, my shoulders are kaput. Got mine 11-07-13. They start day of purchace & end 8-31 Hope that helps. Sniper John is on here from time ta time & has good info. Best wishes flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/01/15 07:29 PM

Yup, that helps. Thank you

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/02/15 04:31 PM

cheers some of the WMA have better hunting than others. For hog hunts, this time of year has always been the best time for hunting at OSBWMA. Cooler weather hogs be moving around little more during day. Usualy hit the thickrt stuff, can catch hogs napen. & dont have ta hurry as much ta get hog on ice. Best wishes. confused2 my Tree stand thread gone missing rofl can' t complain flag
Posted By: Bowde

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/05/15 09:17 PM

if a fellar wanted to hunt a pig at OSBWMA what does he need to do ? I read the official papers on it and get lost. you can hunt with shotgun only ? got to wear orange vest and a orange hat ? park in a designated parking area ? Daytime hunting only ? buy the 48 dollar permit ? When you get back to your truck will it still have the wheels on it ? I guess you need some kind of a back pack frame so you can pack out the back strip ? I think they must have hired new york lawyers to write the hunting maps that you use to get with your permit. The more I read them the more I get confused to the point where I just dont go because Im not sure what is legal and what aint legal
Posted By: RDub270

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/06/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Bowde
if a fellar wanted to hunt a pig at OSBWMA what does he need to do ? I read the official papers on it and get lost. you can hunt with shotgun only ? got to wear orange vest and a orange hat ? park in a designated parking area ? Daytime hunting only ? buy the 48 dollar permit ? When you get back to your truck will it still have the wheels on it ? I guess you need some kind of a back pack frame so you can pack out the back strip ? I think they must have hired new york lawyers to write the hunting maps that you use to get with your permit. The more I read them the more I get confused to the point where I just dont go because Im not sure what is legal and what aint legal

Spend the $48 and get the Public Hunting Lands tag and book, look at page 63 for OSBWMA. Look under the heading Legal Game * 2014 - 2015 for Feral Hog. It clearly answers all your questions.

Let us know how your trip to OSBWMA goes.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/06/15 02:17 AM

Get the APH permit.
Archery is all year for hogs.
Shotgun, muzzleloader, rimfire - Oct 1-24, Dec 16-Feb 22, May 1-31
General Season - Jan 5-March 31

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112a.pdf

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/06/15 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: RDub270

Spend the $48 and get the Public Hunting Lands tag and book, look at page 63 for OSBWMA. Look under the heading Legal Game * 2014 - 2015 for Feral Hog. It clearly answers all your questions.

Let us know how your trip to OSBWMA goes.

cheers it might be a little wet. Hunt Safe flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/06/15 05:42 AM

all right , I will let you all know how it goes , thanks for all the help ,think Im going to park over on 1804 and stomp around in there some.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/07/15 05:02 AM

cheers have seen hogs right their on high line. You'll see trails. Have followed them in ta thicker stuff. Best wishes flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/07/15 03:31 PM

good ! that helps a lot just having some advice on where to start

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/09/15 03:21 PM

good ! that helps a lot just having some advice on where to start

A lot will depend on how much & were the pressure has been. The video of hogs sleeping, was just having fun with camera. Took video with hog laying down, couple days later. Tried ta get boar on other side of fallen tree, almost stepped on a little one. No shots taken either day. Couple days later, friend & I were in same area. Seen hogs again. Just cause you see alot of hog sign, doesn't mean you gonna see hogs while your there. Most is done at night. Under less pressure. Best wishes flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/15/15 02:26 PM

all right , I will let you all know how it goes , thanks for all the help ,think Im going to park over on 1804 and stomp around in there some.

Any luck? Haven't gotten permit. Twas Blessed ta live close by, easier ta spend time figuring out patterns. 5,727acres, theirs hogs. rofl thinking bout doing a recon with my camera. At house, can drive ta get hog, unfortunatly dogs keep the hogs from staying around. Cant complain. Best Wishes ta all at OSBWMA. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/15/15 03:28 PM

I havent been yet , dont know how I ever had time to go to work everyday , been retired for 10 years and still way behind on all my farm work ,hunting and fishing. I was thinking I would get a lot done in ten years, seems like I just get further behind.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/15/15 09:53 PM

Seen several trucks parked in the parking area whin passed by. Ya get chance ta get away from your busy scheduale, good deer & hog hunten. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/22/15 08:07 PM

Having no luck at tree stand behind house sitting between two feeders. No one giving report bout OSBWMA. Know theirs hogs. Any one up for a hunt? Thinking it might be little wet, need ta put nother layer of ducktap on tennieshoes. Want ta try an ara have had some luck. Bit of a walk, little work if get one for grillen & chillen. No garrentees. Open ta ideas. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/25/15 05:01 PM

Little snow & ice, cool weather. Rather be at OSBWMA. SAFE Traveling ta all. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/25/15 06:46 PM

scratch Thinken bout hitting the bottom for some ice fishing . Coolers getting a little low. rofl safe travling evey one. Bad werck on 69 this morning. Prayers flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 02/27/15 09:57 PM

Perfect weather for a hog hunt at OSBWMA flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/03/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Having no luck at tree stand behind house sitting between two feeders. No one giving report bout OSBWMA. Know theirs hogs. Any one up for a hunt? Thinking it might be little wet, need ta put nother layer of ducktap on tennieshoes. Want ta try an ara have had some luck. Bit of a walk, little work if get one for grillen & chillen. No garrentees. Open ta ideas. flag

bang Dang, just like the invite gave bout hog hunt with muzzleloaders. As Hank Jr. sings : all my rowdy friends have rowdied on down. rofl as pappy once said: a person with open mind has a wider point of view. On public land theirs no garrentees. Plenty of places on texasHF ta hunt hogs. Theirs no fancy stands ta sit, gotta bring own stand. Have sat many hours & days sitting during archery deer & hog on torn up areas ack away from ATV trails never seeing hog. Best way was pudding one foot in front of the other. Finden hogs was the easy part, getting hog out for grillen & chillen was were the work began. Been pudding few bucks back from paycheck for the $48.00 permit. Dogs here been kepen hogs away from feeders. Yagh, need the exercise, got about 50# need ta loose. Need ta put nother layer of duck tape on me tennishoes, Sabine is way up. Lots of rain, rofl that thar place eats up d socks. Any ways Best wishes. flag
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/04/15 03:02 PM

I don't know where the hogs went during hunting season. But they are showing up again with the rain. Need to do a hunt for some.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/04/15 10:14 PM

cheers Cams got at house by feeders & other areas been getting more pic's of dogs than deer&hogs put tagether. Last night was full moon. Sat in between two feeders at house till bout 8:00. Last year had lots of pic's of hogs hitting the two feeders. Always done better going ta hogs vs waiting. Scraped up the $48.00 for permit. Did short recon at OSBWMA, more for exercise. Wasn't their 20min. Bucks are loosing antlers, or i seen the biggest bodied doe on steroids with thick neck. rofl Did find wer some one skinned a hog, so some one doing some good. In all seen 4deer. River is way up. ATV trails are closed. Was gonna hit few area's always have luck finding hogs, it way back in their. i'm turning inta a sissy, ny duck tape around tennishoes hit a leak early. Freezer is full right know, & didnt feel like quartering a hog, if would have got one in the rain. These ol bones aint what they used ta be. Two many house on the idiot stick, & bending ovrr boxes picking up stuff half my weight for chill, at foundry done its toll. Last few years missed archery season their cause shoulders worn out. Seen your pic's on javelen hunt cheers never been, they good for grillen & chillen flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 02:19 PM

eeks333 snow. had set alarm for 6:00. It went off, threw a shoe. Rolled back over. Too old & sore, these alian body parts have slowed me down. ATV trails ankle deep, cold & wet. We used ta slid our feet whin sabine this wet, crossing threw the water, trying ta fond the higher ground for hogs. Start out ankle deep, then hit over knee high rubber boots, one step & ya be waist deep. rofl Enjoyed hunten with my son out their. Years ago, he's moved off. Daughters gone few time, shes moved off. Wifes left, cant blame her. Not able ta do type jobs usdta, workmans comp is a joke. Big shot lawers. Settled for sit down job talken on fone, rofl talk as bad as i spel. Missed last snow days. Rolled over seen that thar snow. woot already payed the $48.00 for permit. Gonna grab camera, ducktaped tennishoes. muyloco AR & do a slow recon. Take pic's & if see small enough hog, see if can get close enough for shot. grill & chill. Wont have ta rush ta get on ice. Just enjoy the day. Best wishes. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 02:57 PM

Was just thinking about just sitting in stand between the feeders through lots of corn oit & wai ting . Gonna put odds in my favor, the short scouting did yesterday cheers looked good. The Snow was mind changer. Keep warmer moving. nidea Thinking of changing screen name ta huntsolo rofl no body wants ta go. Cant complain. Best wishes. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 03:08 PM

Was just thinking about just sitting in stand between the feeders through lots of corn oit & wai ting . Gonna put odds in my favor, the short scouting did yesterday cheers looked good. The Snow was mind changer. Keep warmer moving. nidea Thinking of changing screen name ta huntsolo rofl no body wants ta go. Cant complain. Best wishes. flag

Ya got feeders on OSBWMA?

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 03:31 PM

Javelina taste like they smell to me! Can we say skunk. I need to meet you at OSWMA some day. I have some 45 cal round balls I can give ya, power also!

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 07:28 PM

No baiting or feeders allowed at OSBWMA. sorry for confussion some posts are ta White Falcon bout feeders & hunten at personal stands. Am at WMA doing walk-a-bout hunt. Its wet in just about any direction ya step. Sliped & fell once already. Seeing deer. Sorry for confussion. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 10:20 PM

I wasn't confused! banana banana

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 11:31 PM

No baiting or feeders allowed at OSBWMA. sorry for confussion some posts are ta White Falcon bout feeders & hunten at personal stands. Am at WMA doing walk-a-bout hunt. Its wet in just about any direction ya step. Sliped & fell once already. Seeing deer. Sorry for confussion. flag

cheers
Posted By: ralph

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/05/15 11:46 PM

Is the river over FM 1804 yet?

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/06/15 01:23 AM

Wasn't on fm1804 today. Judging from the river at last camp site, would say no. Have put canoe in at fm 1804 whin bout 2" over road & gone ta 14. It looks like a lake. The OSBWMA stays soggy. River is way up though, dought over. Hope this helps. Best wishes flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/06/15 01:53 AM

Thanks colt.45.
I have driven Hoard Road more times than I care to count but not much since late 1970s early 80s. I have driven it when it was flooded andcurrent was swift enough to almost float an empty gooseneck.

In fact, one summer (maybe '77?) I actually baled hay on that part of OSBWMA on the east side of 1804 and north of the river! It has obviously changed a lot since then. It wasn't a real hay meadow but we cut and round baled a part of it. Also spent many hours mowing that long bottom west of 1804 over toward Hwy69. It was all part of Oakhurst Farms at that time.

I haven't been on any of that land in many years.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/06/15 03:25 AM

Fm 1804 was the west boundry of WMA land whin it first opened up ta public. They added some land on the west side of Fm 1804. River at first bridge coming from Hoard is North boundry & the old channel at 2nd bridge is South boundry. Most of the WMA is East of Fm1804. Several yrs back they built new road an bridge on 14. Went on a call with volenteer fire departman. Person tried crossing bridge an swept it off old bridge. Safe travels flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/06/15 12:44 PM

I did not know that the WMA extended across 1804 to the west. Thanks for that information.

I am well remember that old bridge and Belzora lake on FM14 south of Hawkins.

There are some pretty wild areas all along the Sabine.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/06/15 09:18 PM

Old booklet 1999-2000 shows fm 1804 as west boundry, so some time after that they added 569 acres west of fm1804. Goes to a fence bout 3-4 power line poles after they angle ta left. It been while since walked it. Used ta hunt Unit #120 in Anderson Co. Was section south of 84, & smaller sectiion off cr 387, if remember right. Theirs been lots of changes over the years with public lands. Used ta lease, then they opened up Sabine. Archery only for deer, they do have gun draw hunts. Mostly hunted the Hog season. Been many hog hunts hitting the higher ground, waiding knee waist deep, learned ta slid feet. It seemed alot easier hunt back then, old age kicken in. flag

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 03/07/15 05:53 PM

cheers OSBWMA is archery only. They have gun draw hunts for deer. It helps with income. Have seen many a bucks that rival pic's on THF last several years. As pappy once said: proud supporter of WMA's . Few years back offered ta volenteer down thar. They wanna know life history. Like your screen name, cheers swampthang . rofl felt like that down at OSBWMA the other day on hog hunt. Thinken bout changen mine ta huntsolo twas muyloco wondering about the woods in the snow & ice. Just about every step was inch of water, swampy had a blast though, till slipped & fell, bang dang ducktaped tennishoes make it slick. Whin thar thin layer of ice, water be cold. As long as krpt moving twas alright. Feelen aches & pains. Some one been geting some hogs for grillen & chillen. Took some videos, was hopen ta find some hogs or deer on higher ground. Can't compete with some of the videos on THF. Some cool ones on thar, enjoy watchen. Rambeld enough. Best wishes. An as pappy says: keep your head held high & your powder dry. flag

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? - 03/07/15 06:32 PM

popcorn Hmm, nother chance for hog hunt. Hit the OSBWMA for a hog hunt, its swampy their. Seen were few hogs were taken. Last few years been seeing less hogs, it used ta be my go to place, for grillen & chillen pork. Didn't get chance ta hit area was wanting ta hit. Used Topo USA before left ta hit higher ground, crossed some knee-deep water, learned years ago ta slid feet. rofl needed more duck-tape on shoes. Brought back some good memmories. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/08/15 07:57 PM

More rain today, so its gona be even wetter at OSBWMA. Stay safe.. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/09/15 02:50 PM

cheers Back in 70's-80's the OSBWMA was a hunting lease. It had waiting list ta get on. Not sure bout around $400.00 or more per gun. Got invite for a coon hunt down their. Whin it opened ta public, started hog hunting. Had $250.00 1buck county lease, & 1doe tag for lease. Worked at Tyler Pipe, rofl some called me easy money. Got nickname caveman from some, hog hunten , slinger most called me Yankee . Go inta work, 2am put in 10-11 hours, get off work, bout 15min drive ta OSBWMA & lease was over by were White Falcon lives. They had plan's made up, even map's ta turn that area inta a lake. Working at city of Tyler as a water-meter-reader just before it went high-tech, lost job, didn't do no good ta complain. Laughed at made fun of, rofl some one had ta pay the price. Ya dont hear bout that on news. That was during the water-wars . Lakes were going dry. So this rain has realy helped. The west part added ta WMA was due mostly, whin river flooded, Duck hunters would set up. Dispute of water leavel. So they added that area. Edit: They had set some turkeys loose whin it first became WMA land, flooding pushed em out. Over the years seeing less hogs, & some nice deer, Sat many hours & seen several that just as nice a ones posted in photo section on this forum. flag

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? - 03/18/15 05:20 PM

More rain here, OSBWMA is like a swamp. Wish had my boat running flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 03/27/15 08:03 PM

Only few days left for General hog hunts at OSBWMA. Think its open for archery hogs year round. cheers Proud Supporter of WMA , can't beat the price. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 04/23/15 02:01 PM

cheers cool weather holds out, the May squirrel&hog shotgun, rimfire, & muzzy hunts, be good for early morning hog hunts. For those who dont mind getting little wet, last snow that hit, had daughters truck, had jury duty, twas good ta get down their.. Seen several deer, some one took few hogs. Find the higher land youll find the hog's. They are getting thinned out.. Best wishes flag
Posted By: Erich

Re: ? OSBWMA - 04/23/15 06:25 PM

hunted OSB with my brother and cousin for a few days several years ago now. was an awesome hunt. saw hogs....was really fun rustic....hike-in type hunting.

would be neat to go back sometime, but its a LONG drive for me. back then I had no other place to hunt hogs. and we had lots of free time. these days I have much less free time and the ranch is closer with plenty hogs. still though if it were closer to me I'd have to go back sometime.

good to cover a lot of ground looking for fresh sign....fresh rooting or other indication. find water in the hotter months. river is all over the place there....but find lower lying water like the beaver pond, or other more easily accessible area. past that....I'd pretty well just pick a tree to sit up against and wait. you might see fewer that way...but you'll have better shot opportunities. shooting at spooked hogs in that dense cover burns a lot of ammo.

most of the seasons are shotgun/rimfire/muzzy only. very little centerfire rifle access. there's little to nowhere that you can shoot very far though. baiting is not allowed. most of your shots will be at less than 50yds. often times at moving targets. so a pump-gun with 00 or 000 buckshot....or even rifled slugs just aiming down the smoothbore are really the most effective tools to have.

we shot 12ga 000 buckshot. was always plenty effective.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 04/23/15 11:54 PM

bang 1st post didn't go threw, then had ta log back in, confused2 didn't log out. Try again... First got on THF lot of people looking for ( free ) or cheap hog hunts... Posted about OSBWMA, even gave several invites.. Usualy huntsolo hit some tough times, dont get chance ta hunt there like wish.. up finding hogs was always easy part, getting em out were the work begain. Its been thinned out, back mile or two, theirs still some big hogs.... Best wishes. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/09/15 12:47 PM

Colt, You will need some dry wall stilts to walk around the OSBWMA this week!! If we get all the rain we are to get, all my stands will be washed to Winona!

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/09/15 03:21 PM

rofl Is Hoard road.flooded between the bridges ? Only got ta go ta OSBWMA twice, Shoulders no good, not able ta pull bow back no more... Overal health not best, twas good ta get down their... We've had plenty rain... Finaly got few pic's of deer on cam by house.. Weeds taller than deer... confused2 Guess moderators got complaint's bout my For what its worth , same as few others have put on here, one aboit cullinh another Fun-de-mentals of choot-en ... its all about who ya know... Thought it was a Huntin Form ... Got were i go back threw posts ta check for spelling errors... rofl Looked like one of the pic's from cam was of a buck in velvet... Got 39 pic's between two cam's, thought all pic's were same deer... With it as wet as.it is at OSB, it will be good hog hunting for land owners, make big dent... Best wishes... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/09/15 06:56 PM

Hadn't been that far down the road to see if under water, If we get the rain this week I would say yes.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/11/15 12:42 PM

I bet 1804 is under water today, Colt!

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/11/15 04:01 PM

cheers am without wheels again.. It thundered like crasy here last night.. Have had luck hog hunting in years past going by boat hitting high spots at OSBWMA.. Used ta put in at Hoard & canoe ta 14 whin river up... Time ta ttrim the weeds agaon down ta size of the grass... Replace batterirs in cam's... The surounding area's should have good hog hunten, hog's not made ot this far yet... The WMA land gave hogs little bit of a break from the 24-7-365 pressure... Best wish's Edit: bang be good for catfishing right now ... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/13/15 02:09 PM

More rain today... OSBWMA gonna be swampy... Wish had my boat running... Used ta hit high ground for hog's & it be good for catfishing... Water might be over the road between the bridges... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/16/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: White Falcon
I bet 1804 is under water today, Colt!

Worken up the nerve ta mow the yard... scratch would rather be floating down river with-out a paddle.... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/17/15 12:34 PM

I thought about it, ONCE!

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/17/15 04:19 PM

rofl cheers have put im at Hoard rd & canoed many times ta 14, & ta 155.... Day timr & night, just float & camping, wife, kids, last several times been solo... Lots of times seen hog's, even had a gater less than 2ft away from canoe... Been on it whin flooded, rofl & several times whin had ta drag canoe... Going over log jam's, rofl brings back some great memories... If OSBWMA is wetter than whin i was their the last snow fall, the high spots, know a few, taken hogs, it will push hogs off WMA looking for food, & be good hunting for people with land ajoining WMA.. Still not seeing anything here at feeders, pic's of deer, it bout 20min drive ... We've had more light rain... Best wishes.. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/17/15 04:42 PM

rofl cheers have put im at Hoard rd & canoed many times ta 14, & ta 155.... Day timr & night, just float & camping, wife, kids, last several times hIbeen solo... Lots of times seen hog's, even had a gater less than 2ft away from canoe... Been on it whin flooded, rofl & several times whin had ta drag canoe... Going over log jam's, rofl brings back some great memories... If OSBWMA is wetter than whin i was their the last snow fall, the high spots, know a few, taken hogs, it will push hogs off WMA looking for food, & be good hunting for people with land ajoining WMA.. Still not seeing anything here at feeders, pic's of deer, it bout 20min drive ... We've had more light rain... Best wishes.. flag

muyloco if could aford a ski-doo rofl would be doing a huntsolo for hogs at OSBWMA right now... As pappy once said: tis about as bright as a burnt out light bulb, whin ya flip the switch the ellement dont conect.. Sometimes theirs a spart of injinuaty ... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/22/15 03:52 PM

bang purfect morning ta be canoeing at OSBWMA on a hog hunt... flag
Posted By: Jake84

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/22/15 10:41 PM

Colt how much rain yall been getting down there? I am wanting to take a drive down to OSBWMA tomorrow. Do I needa bring my blaze orange swim trunks? Haven't been down there in several weeks.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/23/15 12:37 AM

White Falcon could probley answer that better than me... He's got place on north side of old sabine river... Last time i was their was last snow we got.. At last campground river was bout 4ta5ft from going over.. Tride hitting few high spots close ta parking area's.. Several times was knee deep... Son & i usdta wade hip deep at times years back... We've went by boat whin it looked like a lake & taken hog's hitting high spots.. We've gotten lot of rain, the creek by house here, can take a step without getting feet wet were food lot & feeder is at.. Ground so wet it flooded out of bank u to & past feeder... So guessing OSBWMA gonna be wet... Just do like i did, throw on old pair britches, tennishoes, mine were duck-taped, snakes might be out, depends, rofl on wost day at OSBWMA chances are double than what have here sitten between two feeders... Have had many a great times at OSBWMA... Little water not gonna hurt any one, ya find the high spots you'll find hog's.. Best wishes.. flag
Posted By: swampthang

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/23/15 01:54 AM

Canoeing? Dont you mean white water rafting? grin

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/23/15 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: swampthang

Canoeing? Dont you mean white water rafting? grin

rofl Been on it many times with canoe, day & at night, tis very relaxing, wife, kids.. Daughter & i went, she was early ta mid teens, think its 21 mile trip from Hoard ta 14...

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/23/15 06:03 PM

If ya not wanting ta mess with the water at OSBWMA unit #708, at lake Tawakoni, pawnee is shotgun only... Hunted it time or too... If ya got small boat, wish had ski-doo i usualy huntsolo , would work real goid at sabine... Think they did some work on boat ramp, at north bridge... Sorry not much help... flag
Posted By: Jake84

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/24/15 12:17 AM

I went out today. It wasn't near as wet as I have seen before. Didn't see any pigs but saw several snakes. Almost stepped on a cotton mouth. Today was the first time I tried on the 1804 side.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/24/15 01:50 PM

cheers seen 4 deer last time i went... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/30/15 12:41 PM

Went by yesterday, road is closed,1804, Water looked to be 2 or 3 ft over the road. I hope I still have some stands left!!

Re: ? OSBWMA - 05/30/15 03:16 PM

cheers good report... Hope your stand holds up... Have parked truck at 14 then get dropped off at Hoard, ( 1804 ) & canoed, think last time was with daughter, so its been few years.. Theirs few places were river starts coming up it starts flooding the WMA part, & they close the gate were the camping grounds at.. Couple guys hog hunt with from DFW area had called few years back, saying meet them for hog hunt... Didnt turn on phone till bout 10:00, seen their message, tried ta call em, the river was up.. Didnt reach them, figured they in woods... Drove their the ggate past second camp was closed, water over road, they had left went back home.. Drove ta 1804 deer were crossing road heading ta higher ground.. Theirs places on the WMA that can take boat & find hogs, done it several times... Reason said wish had ski-doo usualy huntsolo .... Its wet at feeders here also, & raining... Best wishes Edit: 9:00pm more rain. flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 07/12/15 08:24 PM

From the other side of the river. I still have all my stands!! banana bounce Saw some hog signs and deer. Might be getting back to normal!! My friend has lost some 100 year old oaks and property due to the flooding, could have been worse. He said he had a couple guys try to get down river in mud boats, during the high water. Al they did was get stuck in his downed trees!!

Re: ? OSBWMA - 07/13/15 04:29 AM

cheers great news bout.the stands.. Getting few pic's of deer on cam's pute on the photo form been over month since seen any hogs... Used ta take the kids in their teens on sabine, from Hoard ta 155, river up & whin its down, drag canoe over the log jam's, rofl builds charictur.. It not for every one... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 07/19/15 02:33 PM

Hog wallow in a creek going to the river.

Re: ? OSBWMA - 07/19/15 02:34 PM

Re: ? OSBWMA - 07/19/15 05:56 PM

coolpics First thread put on here bout OSBWMA talked about the downed trees, winds push em over, makes a wallow were the tree up rooted, the hogs got shade mud walliw ta keep cool, & ta help keep tic's, flea's, chigger's & such off.. Got videos of were 3ta4 & some even more, beds all around the trees.. The video of me sneaken up ta hogs sleepen was in switch cain & downed tree, the other video group of hogs bedded down by downef tree... Theirs several places that still see some good sized hogs down their, rofl a good friend still gives me hard time case didn't pull the trigger on one.. Was in bad shape that day, still recovering from smaller hog took few days earlier on a huntsolo ... Hesitated pulling trigger, cause he would have done 3/4 of the work getting it out... He big enough he could have done it himself, & wouldnt have mind... Many times wish would have swallowed my pride & pulled trigger, just knew wouldnt been able ta pull my weight that day.. Thanks for sharing the pic's Best wishes... flag

Re: ? OSBWMA - 08/03/15 02:59 PM

cheers Count down ta archery deer&hogs... Unfortunatly hunting licence & the $48.00 permit expires end of this month.... Best wishes... Proud suporter of WMA ... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum