Texas Hunting Forum

Bringing someone with you...what are the rules?

Posted By: themanfromsnowyriver

Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/26/15 01:06 AM

Hi Guys,

My wife wants to come along and just follow me around (she's scared of guns so won't actually shoot anything).
I hunt on public land (Granger lake) and was wondering what the rules are. Do I need to get her a hunting license/hunter-ed or is something like a fishing/camping pass enough?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/26/15 02:16 AM

My understanding is that if she doesn't have her own weapon, she wouldn't need a license (and therefore hunter ed.).

It's probably still a good idea for her to go to the class, if you have time. There's some good material. She should also comply with any hunter orange requirements.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/26/15 02:24 AM

Thanks Shawheel, I'll get her to do a class.

I always wear the orange, but honestly I've never seen another hunter following those rules at Granger!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/26/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: themanfromsnowyriver
Thanks Shawheel, I'll get her to do a class.

I always wear the orange, but honestly I've never seen another hunter following those rules at Granger!

welcome ta THF not familiar with Granger. ya need the $48.00 for their? hunt OSBWMA also wear the orange, accidents happen, hunt the thick stuff for hogs, have chased few hogs out, if another hunter happened by at time in front of escaping hog, things happen fast. up tis why i limit range of shots. best wishes & SAFE hunting flag
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/26/15 03:27 AM

Check out the $12 Limited Use Permit. That is what we purchased my wife and daughter (both non-hunters at the time) when they went with me to APH properties. When we were checked by game wardens a few times, they were surprised we actually knew about them.

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/26/15 03:42 AM

Thanks guys, I'll look at the limited use permit, sound perfect.

I agree about the orange, don't want to get shot.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/27/15 03:42 PM

If she is not hunting then why would she need a hunters education course?? The answer is that she does not. So it is completely unnecessary.

All she needs is hunter orange. You do not need to go buy stuff like permits or courses for her. If you are legal then she is good to go with a orange hat and vest
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/27/15 04:50 PM

That is what I did with my wife when we went spent a day on a wma and not hunting. Got her the limited use permit and made sure her and my son were dressed with hunter orange. Required because the wma we were on had an open feral hog season at the time.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/27/15 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoutdog
Check out the $12 Limited Use Permit. That is what we purchased my wife and daughter (both non-hunters at the time) when they went with me to APH properties. When we were checked by game wardens a few times, they were surprised we actually knew about them.

^^^ This.. Have to have it.. From personal experience in taking a friend that ended with a visit from the GW.. She wont need the $48 pass, just the limited use permit.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Bringing someone with you...what are the rules? - 01/28/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
Originally Posted By: Scoutdog

^^^ This.. Have to have it.. From personal experience in taking a friend that ended with a visit from the GW.. She wont need the $48 pass, just the limited use permit.

have heard of people getting ticketed for Not haveing permit. The $48.00 permit is a cheap fee for leasing or write ta hunt Public Land GW just doing job. the WMA down the road has designated parking areas. asked one of guys work their if okay ta park side road or end of ATV trails, this side of No vechcals beyond this point . This was first year open ta public. his responce just dont tear up road & Dont block Trucks. their were some guys, tried driving down one of ATV trails with truck. parked Suzzuki. walking ta help out, heard one say, here comes. GW toldem no, but their is reason they have sign, NO vechicals beyond this point. They put a chain across ta stop. AT different WMA unit 120, it no longer WMA had parked my truck in such a place. entrance to old ATV trail. Water was standing, so parked over little hump, could see, tail lights. Whin got done hunting GW left note. park side of road. No Ticket. GW have bad days too. Just like every one else. i might have caught GW on good day. i go ta hunt, mostly hogs, & enjoy the woods. have place for deer. during archery have seen people walking trails, no orange. also, walking their dogs . flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum