Texas Hunting Forum

hunting hogs on public land

Posted By: fishingoncredit

hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 12:37 AM

Hey how's it going? Well I'm new to hunting hog's but I really want to start hog hunting. I'm pretty much restricted to public hunting lands so I'm just trying to get some opinions on what sign to look for and should I be stalking or climbing a tree and waiting for some bacon to walk my way. Any advice is welcome! and thanks in advance.
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 01:38 AM

Not sure where u are located, but lbj grasslands is prime from what I've heard customers talking about.they stalk the game trails
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 02:20 AM

welcome ta THF. if hogs are moving, climb tree, rifle can reach out & touch em. leaves mostly gone, can see good distance. my best luck been, wondering about the woods in thick stuff, bump & run best wishes flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 02:55 AM

Thanks
Thanks for the info. I'm in Dallas. Are lbj grasslands the same as caddo national grasslands?
Posted By: taterpop

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 06:11 AM

If you didn't mind the drive to white oak wildlife managment it's over run with hogs and they have a dog season.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 02:41 PM

White Oak used to be run over with hogs. Haven't seen any since bow season began. Also all of the bottoms were pretty much flooded last weekend and they don't like you parking on the highway to access good hunting areas. Last years hog hunts there were an absolute bust for hunters and dogs. The years of drought have really hurt the acorn crop from what I've been told.

Cooper WMA would probably be better for pigs. Historically it has been good year after year and access is a little easier. We will probably start there Saturday and the more the hunters the better. Keeps pigs moving. Its shotgun only.

Colt45 may recommend a better WMA.
Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 03:09 PM

Quote:
•fully automatic firearms are not legal.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods
Posted By: Stegar

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 03:11 PM

Cooper is good, I have seen many there. Old Sabine Bottom is really good also. any legal means right now.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 03:36 PM

:dueling with android rofl it's a conspiracy i tell ya 4th time trying to post. it jumping all over. astronauts back in 60's had better reception than me Lake Tawakoni is also shotgun for hogs. 3 small tracks. Edit: 5th time best wishes flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Stegar
Cooper is good, I have seen many there. Old Sabine Bottom is really good also. any legal means right now.

havent got the $48.00 permit for this year. seen few posts ya had down in the public land form u had any luck at OSBWMA this year? have taken more video's of hogs down at OSBWMA than brought out for grillen & chillen. cooler weather be good hunten. finding hogs twas allways easy part, work begain, getting em out. although have taken several fairly close ta roads. flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the insight and info yall. I was thinking the south part of t-wok (duck cove) this weekend since it's only about an hour away plus my grandma lives in terrell and needs some lights changed so 2 birds one stone lol.
I went to caddo nat grasslands 5 times for deer season but never saw a deer or pig. I did see a bit of sign out there but not much. Then my dad and I made the trip down south to luminant tx for the last day of deer season and dang there was fresh deer and pig sign everywhere but it was pretty dang swampy but never saw anything moving. I did come across 6 piles of pig bones though
Posted By: Stegar

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 06:13 PM

I want to try Luminant out. looks good on the computer.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 06:25 PM

Luminant was pretty nice. There is a big clear cut right down the middle of but theres a creek/river that was not passable for me. Maybe it was up from the rain but the clear cut was swampy and torn up from pigs. I cut back on a game trail and instantly saw fresh deer crap and followed the trial till I saw a nice tree to climb and waited up there for about 5 hours after that my butt was numb and my feet frozen so I called it a trip. Next time I'm going to park on the south side and hunt up if the wind is right.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/07/15 08:01 PM

Hunting hogs on public land is not easy. You can not bait, you have to wear orange, the hogs are nocturnal and finding them during the day is not easy.

But for me that is what is rewarding about it. When something is easy you dont appreciate it as much. The Hard is what makes it great!
Posted By: tworod

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/08/15 02:40 PM

I know lewisville corp land has a lot of hogs, I have seen them during the day as well, hard part is that it is bow only and most of the time I find them I have to deal with idiots driving thru and messing up the hunt even though it is posted for no motor vehicles. nothing like walking in a mile seeing hogs in front of you and have them scared off before you can get a shot.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/10/15 03:55 AM

Bardwell Lake outside of Ennis is free and public land. Lots of hogs out there also. Bow and shotgun slugs only.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/10/15 04:23 AM

thanks ill have to check it out. my dad and I are going out tomorrow so i guess we will prob flip a coin on bardwell or t-wok

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/10/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Hunting hogs on public land is not easy. You can not bait, you have to wear orange, the hogs are nocturnal and finding them during the day is not easy.

But for me that is what is rewarding about it. When something is easy you dont appreciate it as much. The Hard is what makes it great!

cheers+1 more rewarding flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/10/15 09:14 PM

Heck yeah it's tough but fun as hell! We ended up at the duck cove part of twok my dad and I ended up splitting up he stayed close to the parking area and I pushed about a mile or so in and I noticed some pretty fresh prints so I slowed up made a couple grunts and up ahead I heard rustling so I squatted down and waited(as long as I could) till I saw it's back and as soon as I popped up to shoot the pig saw me and took off as I in loaded all 3 rounds on it's smelly [censored]! So I took off after it and jumped over a log twisted my ankle and got hung up in vines all while trying to reload my gun. So I finally get out of the vines and more shells in my gun and start looking for a blood trail... Well I guess I missed all 3 shots because I never found the blood trail... Oo well though all and all I had a great hunt even though we didn't get anything.

I found 4 tree stands 1 game cam and 2 ground blind oo and one freshly killed raccoon with it's guts ate up
Oo yeah also I found a snare on a game trail

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/10/15 09:16 PM

Not my first hunt but my first hubt where I actually have had a chance to get large game...
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/12/15 01:46 AM

sounds like you had a fun day. If you end up going to Bardwell, fresh pig tracks are everywhere along the lake. Just make sure you are in the proper hunting area before you shoot.
Posted By: Jake84

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/13/15 02:53 AM

I want in on this thread, I have been looking lately for a good place to go on public lands. I would like to hunt predators or hogs. I have shotgun or Rifle but I don't bow hunt atm. I am in the Fort Worth area.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/14/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake84
I want in on this thread, I have been looking lately for a good place to go on public lands. I would like to hunt predators or hogs. I have shotgun or Rifle but I don't bow hunt atm. I am in the Fort Worth area.
cheers $48.00 permit flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/14/15 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
[quote=Jake84]I want in on this thread, I have been looking lately for a good place to go on public lands. I would like to hunt predators or hogs. I have shotgun or Rifle but I don't bow hunt atm. I am in the Fort Worth area.
cheers $48.00 permit flag
^^
good point don't forget that!!

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/14/15 03:24 PM

cheers if cash is tight, cant beet price. u had chance ta hit LBJ? havent made it that far North. OSBWMA just down the road 5,727 acres.think their rifle hunt is on now. usualy little wet down thar, last few years been little tougher hunt like most places, hogs been thinned out. seen were T-wak some one got hog, it shot gun. best wishes ta all flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/14/15 10:35 PM

nope i havent been to LBJ bc I didnt see LBJ on the tpwd map for public hunting. I deer hunted/hog hunted caddo nat grasslands this year during deer season but had nooooooo luck out there. Last weekend I missed a hog out at t-wok but I'll be back out saturday to try again!!!

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/15/15 03:04 PM

cheers tis water level low at T-wok? have been ta the pawnee & duck cove both area's have hogs, best wishes. flag
Posted By: BigGameExec

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/15/15 06:13 PM

Sorry for the newbie question, whats the $48 permit for?
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/15/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BigGameExec
Sorry for the newbie question, whats the $48 permit for?

The $48 gets you access to TX public lands.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/19/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: fishingoncredit
nope i havent been to LBJ bc I didnt see LBJ on the tpwd map for public hunting. I deer hunted/hog hunted caddo nat grasslands this year during deer season but had nooooooo luck out there. Last weekend I missed a hog out at t-wok but I'll be back out saturday to try again!!!

cheers hunting hogs on public land great thread. u had chance ta get back out thar? at least ya seeing hogs, still waiting here. flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/19/15 07:31 PM

The water is deff low at t-wok. I went out Saturday had no luck but I did scare up a large doe so that was cool to see! Only down side is I lost my knife some how...

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/19/15 10:26 PM

I plan on going out this coming weekend. Still not sure where but got my public land permit and packing up the truck.
Posted By: SpotStalk84

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/23/15 10:43 PM

Hey Jake if you want a passenger I'll split fuel and go with you.
I have been out to Caddo on the 7th and 13th and have seen very recent sign. My buddy was getting sick so we only stayed for a couple hours but I'm itching to get back out and get a hog!

I know it's late but shoot me a PM if you want to go out.
Posted By: JBlack

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/26/15 06:13 PM

I am considering going to Caddo here in the next month. If anyone is interested in teaming up send me a message.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 01:48 AM

I went to Old Sabine Bottom WMA last weekend on the suggestion of Colt.45. He has told me it can get wet out there... I did not take his word as seriously as I should have. I left DFW after work around 3:30ish, got to OSB right before dark. It was cool and WET. I slept in my truck and woke up around 6:00 to get ready to go out and hunt. My truck said 21 degrees and it sure felt it. I started off at Green Head and walked around for about an hour and a half and saw plenty of signs hogs had been in the area recently (tracks, scat, and areas where they had dug around), I heard plenty of gun shots coming from west of where I was so I made my way back to the truck and moved locations. Don't remember the name of the second location I went to but I roamed that area for a couple more hours and again saw plenty of signs hog were in the area. I finally got too wet and too cold to want to keep walking around.

I plan on going back again soon and have bought a pair of Muck boots instead of just my water proof Merrells (water proof boots don't help if the water goes OVER the top of the boots).

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 02:24 AM

rofl that brings back memories. Son & i spent many hours whin it flooded, waist high at times finding the higher parts. Gone threw many tennishoes & socks. Got a pocket notebook filled with GPS cordanances of rubs, scrapes, wallows, mud rubs, places seen deer or hogs. beds. cheers was day dreamen bout OSBWWMA while over looking feeders. finding hogs was always easy part. usualy spent more time videoing than shooting. move slow see sign, stop. look, move even slower, keeping eyes scanning. if real fresh sit & listen. flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 04:11 AM

Man how was the drive from dfw? (I'm in irving) I've been thinking about trying OSBWMA bc colt but now I might wait and get waders first!! This year is my first year hog hunting and I've found 2 the first one i missed completly and today I hit 1 but I lost its blood trail after about a 1/4mile and searching for almost 4 hours.. But hey a bad day hunting is still better then a good at day work in my mind!

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 04:16 AM

hey colt I've got a question for ya. When i'm following a pig trail and it suddonly disappears whats the best way to pick it back up? Bc alot of times I can find their trail with fresh poop but next thing I know all prints are gone and no broken brush to follow.. And nothing but cardinals making noise

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 10:31 AM

The drive is 2-2 1/2 hours from DFW area, I am in Keller. I wish I would have stayed longer last weekend but cold wet feet can make a hunt not too enjoyable.
Posted By: redfred

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 03:44 PM

Are there any hogs in the Sam Houston National Forest? I have a Public Hunting permit. I've been out there for deer but never saw any pigs.

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/29/15 06:48 PM

hey colt I've got a question for ya. When i'm following a pig trail and it suddonly disappears whats the best way to pick it back up? Bc alot of times I can find their trail with fresh poop but next thing I know all prints are gone and no broken brush to follow.. And nothing but cardinals making noise

rofl cheers flag

Re: hunting hogs on public land - 01/30/15 04:27 PM

Not my first hunt but my first hubt where I actually have had a chance to get large game...

Sounds like ya found good spot at Duck Cove not only found hog sign, got few shots off. cheers This sitting & waiting driving me muyloco did get cool video of bobcat flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum