Texas Hunting Forum

Public Hunts... never been

Posted By: JDMore

Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:01 AM

Never been on a public hunt. For those who do, do you mind filling me in on the ins and outs?
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:07 AM

Visit tpwd and look up the draw hunts, its basically a lottery system, most applications are due in the summer some as late as septmeber. They have a preference point system, prime hunt areas might take 10 years or more before you draw, low demand areas its possible to win on your first try but unlikely.
Posted By: Txdiesel15

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:12 AM

I just started as well and I really love the fact that nothing is given to you. I've always hunted a family members land, they already knew the land and where the game would be. Or a fenced in guided hunt where you can walk up to the ram and pet the dang things. Public land intrigues me to go out and scout and not have support or a "head start". safety is obviously the main concern. I found myself looking for other hunters just as much as I was looking for animals.
Make sure that you have your APH permit as well, it is required. Go out, have fun and do your research. I think landing a trophy on public land will bring you more gratification also.

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:24 AM

I dont have a APH Permit.

So is it true, that these public hunts, you are likely to be surrounded by other hunters (land overrun with people)?
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:28 AM

There is a good chance you will run into other hunters, part of public land hunting here is learning how to pattern the hunters as well as the game. Understand that texas is 99% private land compared to other states like new mexico or colorado that have an abundance of public land, thats why leasing is the name of the game in texas.

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:28 AM

Gotcha.... thanks for the info.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 02:40 AM

For the draw hunts mentioned in the 2nd post, most of the hunts are conducted in compartments where you and members of your party are the only hunters allowed in your compartment. Depending on the area, compartments may be a few hundred acres up to several thousand acres. In a few areas, primarily state parks (not management areas), selected hunters must hunt from a particular blind, but most of the hunts are by compartment.

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/30/14 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
For the draw hunts mentioned in the 2nd post, most of the hunts are conducted in compartments where you and members of your party are the only hunters allowed in your compartment. Depending on the area, compartments may be a few hundred acres up to several thousand acres. In a few areas, primarily state parks (not management areas), selected hunters must hunt from a particular blind, but most of the hunts are by compartment.

Good to know. I will keep my eyes open and see about getting signed up before next season.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 12/31/14 07:09 PM

Depending on what game you're after, you're much more likely to run into other hunters on opening day/first weekend. After that, it really thins out. Many times when I've been hunting for doves, hogs, small game or even deer, I've been the only hunter on the site. Make sure you have your APH and have checked the site's restrictions.

I agree with what TxDiesel said (and have posted as such on this forum). When you do a walk-in hunt on public land, you're completely on your own. I consider anything taken on public land to be a trophy.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 01/04/15 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Harrier
Depending on what game you're after, you're much more likely to run into other hunters on opening day/first weekend. After that, it really thins out. Many times when I've been hunting for doves, hogs, small game or even deer, I've been the only hunter on the site. Make sure you have your APH and have checked the site's restrictions.

I agree with what TxDiesel said (and have posted as such on this forum). When you do a walk-in hunt on public land, you're completely on your own. I consider anything taken on public land to be a trophy.

I completly agree. If you get any big game animal on public land it is trophy. Some of the most rewarding hunts I have ever been on have been on public land.
Posted By: rickv16

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 02/07/15 05:19 AM

i am also want to start hunting public land. What all is needed and how does it all work. All ive ever hunted is out of a blind or tree stand at my grandpas ranches, until i went to canada this past sep. and did a spot and stalk on some caribou. I checked into the tpwd site and i still dont understand it. Can you hunt whenever u want for exotics if u have the aph. Or is it all a draw system. Im looking to hunt all animals available. Any and all info would be appreciated
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 02/08/15 12:14 AM

Your best bet is to read the APH booklet until you memorize the rules.

Its not brain surgery

wear orange
dont shoot within 150 yards of trails
dont walk around with a magazine in your gun

figure out what you want to shoot and where you want go hunt!!

If you arent willing to put the time in to read and understand the rules you wont have the patience and commitment to hunt public land. Hunting public land is tough!
Posted By: rickv16

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 02/08/15 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info, i appreciate it
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 02/09/15 03:48 PM

Some have hog hunts. Have used that to get familiar with area. Rubs scapes can still be found & your not messing up other hunters archery hunts & chance to take a hog. Some places over run with them. flag
Posted By: inkedagent

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 02/10/15 07:48 AM

Answers the question I had when I first moved to Texas about why there is so little public space. The more you know.
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 03/06/15 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Your best bet is to read the APH booklet until you memorize the rules.

Its not brain surgery

wear orange
dont shoot within 150 yards of trails
dont walk around with a magazine in your gun

figure out what you want to shoot and where you want go hunt!!

If you arent willing to put the time in to read and understand the rules you wont have the patience and commitment to hunt public land. Hunting public land is tough!

What a helpful response... rolleyes
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 03/06/15 09:28 PM

I have read the book but i have never noticed "dont walk around with a magazine in your gun"

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 03/06/15 10:37 PM

rofl think what the big guy was refuring to was: prohibited acts under means & methods around the campsites, parking area, boat launches & such. flag
Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 05/16/15 12:55 AM

Are their places to hunt deer in central texas ?
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 05/20/15 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe

Not that I've found in the public hunting booklets, but you can apply for a few draws in central TX.

Re: Public Hunts... never been - 05/20/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe

Didnt get the 2014-2015 booklet... Most are draw hunts... Unit #711 has archery & unless its changed Unit #607 has archery & general deer hunts. Have been ta 607 on hog hunts, & archery deer.. cheers both in Region 6... Best wishes.. flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum