Texas Hunting Forum

Winter Dove Season on public hunting lands

Posted By: Creek Henry

Winter Dove Season on public hunting lands - 12/24/14 04:16 PM

Back in the fall, I hunting some public units near I-30 East of Dallas. Will those units still be available for dove hunting for the winter season (now through 1/7/15)? The tpwd hunting does not say otherwise.

Thx,
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Winter Dove Season on public hunting lands - 12/24/14 05:36 PM

Yes, they will.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Winter Dove Season on public hunting lands - 12/24/14 07:37 PM

No, not necessarily. They do indicate if they are open in your APHL book. Look at each individual map corresponding for the unit your wanting to hunt. Most of the dove hunting areas are not open for the second split season. If it only says "Each day of the first split of the North Zone..." and nothing else then it is only open during the first split season. If it says "Each day of the North Zone season" or simply "North Zone" then it would be open for the full North Zone season or both split seasons. Some including at lease one in the area your asking about give specific dates.

The private land leases that are not open for the late season I understand, but why WMA managers have closed some of the WMA's to dove during the second split makes no sense. It is frustrating when your hunting a different legal small game, snipe, duck, woodcock, rabbit, etc. and your seeing late season dove that would make for a nice bonus bird, but they have it closed to late season hunting on the respective WMA. hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum