Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Hunting Public Land question

Posted By: DoveMaster

Deer Hunting Public Land question - 11/28/14 10:15 PM

Going to hunt some public land for deer tomorrow and wondering in general, would my odds be best early at sun up or near sun down in afternoon? Is it about the same % wise, or is one better than the other?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 11/29/14 01:43 AM

a lot will depend on pressure in area. just gotta get out thar an hunt. look for food source. spend the day if ya can. best wishes flag
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 11/29/14 04:09 PM

My best advice would be to travel farther into the woods than most people are willing to walk, they tend to stay near the roads and entry points on the hunting areas. As colt said, if you can spend the entire day in the woods your odds increase greatly. Good luck.

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 11/29/14 05:23 PM

rofl people would be suprised how many deer are seen at the parking areas. right place & right time & pressure has more ta do with it than distance. then my posts not worth 2cents scratch something bouts me english flag
Posted By: postoak

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 11/29/14 06:09 PM

Have fun pulling that deer out of the woods 1+ miles after dark!
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/01/14 08:37 PM

I use a thing called a Game Glide. It's like a foldable little tarp with ties & a handle you can tie a rope to. It makes dragging a deer out much easier than just doing it by hand.

Walk a mile unguided through the brush, sit on your hiney and freeze all day, then shoot a deer, gut it and drag it out, and you get to brag about it on this forum for the rest of your life.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/02/14 02:11 PM

I have a game cart. Easy to pull or push a blind, chairs, heater, decoys, cooler, fishing gear, whatever I need.
Only thing better for hauling gear would be a 4 wheeler and that's a no no on public 99.9% of the time.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/02/14 07:24 PM

I use a game cart also, use it to haul my stuff in and all of my stuff out plus a deer if I get one.

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/03/14 12:53 AM

popcorn any luck? used ta do alot of archery deer & hog hunting on the one down the road & most of my hog hunting during the general hog hunts. best wishes flag
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/03/14 01:13 AM

I've hunted the public hunting areas in e.Texas over 35 years and I'm sure I've seen a hundred times as many deer during the first 3 hours of the day as I have the last 3 hours of the day.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/05/14 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak

Game bags & a good weight bearing pack make short order of it. Most Texas WT's weigh barely 100 pounds dressed.

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/05/14 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
Originally Posted By: postoak

Game bags & a good weight bearing pack make short order of it. Most Texas WT's weigh barely 100 pounds dressed.

My public-land deer hunting days are (probably) over. I last brought a deer out at age 61 and it was a strenuous experience for me, but tell me more about this, anyway. You quarter the deer in the woods? Can you provide a link to a "game bag" and a "weight bearing pack"?
Posted By: quickerNu

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/05/14 09:57 PM

Game Bag
Any external frame backpack you can tie stuff to:
Dicks sporting goods backpack

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/06/14 01:07 AM

Thanks. If I ever need to get a deer out of the deep woods I will give this a try.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/07/14 10:14 PM

Yep, load the game bags in the pack. If you can't lift it, throw you a good sturdy rope over a tree limb & hoist it up & tie it off. Get into it and take rope loose. I have had instances where I could not lift the pack onto my shoulders. But, using the rope I was able to pack it.
Posted By: bakecity55

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/10/14 03:15 PM

I have never shot a WT in the morning. Some people swear by it. Just has not happened for me. I still go because you can't shoot if you're not out there. I recommend going out morning and afternoon. If I had to pick one or the other, I say afternoon. Good Luck.

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/10/14 03:32 PM

welcome ta THF. never shot one at night eather. offtopic seen in different form were they over run with deer an making it legal. got three months ta hunt, Oct. archery & Nov. & Dec. all legal means. an i thought my hunting skills are bad. take it Dovemaster didn't see any thing flag

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/12/14 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: bakecity55
I have never shot a WT in the morning. Some people swear by it. Just has not happened for me. I still go because you can't shoot if you're not out there. I recommend going out morning and afternoon. If I had to pick one or the other, I say afternoon. Good Luck.

Bucks this late in the season have learned morning and late afternoon are dangerous times. I saw two moving at 1:30 today.
Posted By: JDMore

Re: Deer Hunting Public Land question - 12/30/14 02:07 AM

I've never been before and just started a thread. Would appreciate some feedback.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum