Texas Hunting Forum

SHNF Buck

Posted By: Tjack28

SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 02:44 PM

Was able to take this nice Sam Houston National forest buck Saturday morning. My 2nd public land kill this year with the harvest of my first eastern back in April...

Posted By: Seadog

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 02:48 PM

Nice buck!!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 02:50 PM

up
Posted By: aerangis

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 02:53 PM

That is one nice buck!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:13 PM

Congrats!!! Dang fine buck up
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:16 PM

You are the man to take both a turk and a nice buck off of public land. up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:28 PM

Congrats on a dang nice looking buck cheers
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:33 PM

NICE ONE MAN!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:40 PM

Good job on a nice buck
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:41 PM

Very nice buck, congrats on a great public land trophy! Baker
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 03:45 PM

Congrats on the success of a challenging public land hunt. You're obviously doing something right.
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 04:01 PM

Nice public land score! up
Posted By: DaveTexas

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 04:09 PM

Great Buck! Congrats.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 04:14 PM

Great buck for sure.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 04:29 PM

Great public land buck Terrance. Congrats
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

x2
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 04:49 PM

cheers flag
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 05:32 PM

Congrats on a great buck on public land!!!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Outstandingcheers
Posted By: Western

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

x2

X's3!
Posted By: Tye

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 07:39 PM

Congrats ! Nice buck
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Outstandingcheers
up
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 09:26 PM

Congrats buddy!

There are some good deer in the SHNF!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 10:07 PM

Well done!! Especially for public lands up
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 10:10 PM

That'll work..... cheers
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/10/14 10:28 PM

Very well done young man. Congratulations.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 01:54 AM

nice buck.

you were able to do what very few are able to do.....twice.

Congrats
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 03:06 AM

Heck of a buck. Congrats
Posted By: rattler03

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 03:09 AM

That's a good buck anywhere, but on public land that's a true stud. Congrats!!! banana
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Congrats on a dang nice looking buck cheers

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 03:56 AM

Thanks guys...God is good! This Friday and Saturday was my first time out this season as I've been pretty busy, so I've been prayerful on maximizing the few opportunities I can get in the field this season. I wasn't selected for a doe permit this year, so I was concerned that it would be slim pickings since I was limited on what I could harvest.

I went to a spot that isn't heavily hunted where I've seen nice bucks for the past couple of years, but for one reason or another wasn't able to close the deal. Made it out late morning Friday and walked a few familiar areas and came across a few fresh scrapes. Took a lunch break and went to Walmart and picked up some Special golden estrus. I put a little on a scent wick and drug it to the scrape and put some on the scrape. Set up in my climber about 25-30 feet up a pine tree and waited all afternoon and didn't see anything but squirrels dropping hundreds of acorns from the oak trees. Came down when it started to get dark around 5:45p.m. and left my climber hidden as I planned to stay at a friends in Huntsville and come back early the next morning.

I made it back to my stand a little after 6:00 a.m. and got settled in. I sat there for a couple of hours enjoying nature and just being thankful to be out. The temps weren't too warn nor too cold and there was a bit of an overcast with a little sun peeking through revealing the hint fall colors starting to show in the leaves. About 8:40 I heard a crackle and looked down to see this great buck sniffing the scrape. He started walking to the next scrape sniffing the air and I put the cross hairs on him and dropped him in place.

I came down from the tree and examined my prize, kneeled down over him and gave thanks to God for the successful harvest and the sacrifice made to put meat on our table. Then I commenced to dragging that heavy joker back to the truck. He was extremely heavy and I had to stop every so many yards to rest and catch my breath for nearly a mile back to the truck. Though it was a task I finally got it done and I took him to my friends in Huntsville who helped me to skin him. It was a pretty good weekend and I'm a happy camper.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 04:04 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: North2AK

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 04:17 AM

Great buck and a great write-up! cheers
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 01:44 PM

Nice story, great buck, keep that honey hole secret as long as you can.
Posted By: Stub

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Nice buck!!! Congrats!!!
up
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 02:15 PM

up
Posted By: TxAg

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 03:12 PM

Great SHNF buck! That deer is a trophy for sure; that place is tough to hunt. Great outlook from you as well.

Congrats to you up
Posted By: whitetail85

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: North2AK
Great buck and a great write-up! cheers
Posted By: therancher

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 04:41 PM

Great buck anywhere and super special on public land, congrats!

A biology prof of mine in college (many years ago) hunted SHNF and consistently took bruisers. His method was to get as far back in the bedding thickets as possible and set up where they bed at. And live there during daylight.

Packing the deer out was tough, as it was for you I'm sure.

Congrats again!

up
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/11/14 04:56 PM

Awesome! up
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/14/14 04:40 PM

Impressive food
Posted By: A.B.

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/14/14 10:16 PM

Very nice
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/15/14 12:09 AM

I am jealous! Way to go TJack!
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/15/14 01:52 AM

I've hunted sam for the last 7 years. Have not taken a buck yet. Have never seen a buck during hunting season that was wider than 13". I have seen and passed on several spikes, and have also seen more than 100 basket racked deer that were probably 6-8" inside spread-mostly 4-6 points. What you have accomplished is not normal. You my friend are blessed.

Congratulations on a great buck. That is a LIFETIME buck for Sam Houston. Honestly if I shot something that looked like that in Sam, I would seriously give up hunting as that would be the best it would/could ever get. I know Sam has been under antler restrictions for I think 8 years now? But I'm still only seeing an abundance of basket racked deer in the places that I hunt.

Have you aged that deer to see how old he is? I would love to get an accurate age on him. You scored big time. You can't see it, but I'm bowing to you right now.
Posted By: erok11

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/15/14 05:30 AM

Congrats sir. Heck of a buck !
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/16/14 09:13 PM

up
Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/19/14 04:41 AM

That is a great buck! The SHNF has put out some dandys this season. Those AR's are really starting to pay off.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/19/14 05:28 PM

Congratulation on a Public buck that is beautiful. cheers Good hard work, and it paid well. What did you shot him with.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/22/14 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Nice buck!!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/22/14 08:17 PM

That's impressive!
Posted By: swellcat

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/25/14 04:17 PM

Quote:
. . . gave thanks . . . for the successful harvest and the sacrifice made to put meat on our table.

That's a very nice sentiment for this holiday and for all the time.
Posted By: redfred

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/26/14 04:07 AM

The hope of seeing and shooting something like that buck is why I keep dragging my butt up to the Forest. Good job!!!

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/26/14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Kawabuggy
I've hunted sam for the last 7 years. Have not taken a buck yet. Have never seen a buck during hunting season that was wider than 13". I have seen and passed on several spikes, and have also seen more than 100 basket racked deer that were probably 6-8" inside spread-mostly 4-6 points. What you have accomplished is not normal. You my friend are blessed.

Congratulations on a great buck. That is a LIFETIME buck for Sam Houston. Honestly if I shot something that looked like that in Sam, I would seriously give up hunting as that would be the best it would/could ever get. I know Sam has been under antler restrictions for I think 8 years now? But I'm still only seeing an abundance of basket racked deer in the places that I hunt.

Have you aged that deer to see how old he is? I would love to get an accurate age on him. You scored big time. You can't see it, but I'm bowing to you right now.

Yes Sir...I agree that taking this buck was a blessing. I have seen several nice bucks on the forest..some much better than this, but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to drop one. Last year my scope fogged up and I couldn't see him to take the shot before he disappeared into the thick stuff...he was a monster though. The year before I saw a huge one that I believe was a 12 point from what I could tell. Noticed the doe first and when he came behind her and she took off in the other direction I got a look at him in hot pursuit. Same year I had another big one that I waited too late to fire the shot on because I wanted to make sure he was legal. He got in the distance and looked my way to reveal a very nice wrack just before disappearing into the brush. I've found some monstrous rubs out there on some big trees as well and the year before last one of the locals who lives near the area took a big 12 point that looked like a mule. There are some good deer out there but I've noticed that most of my sightings were way back in the real thick stuff where they feel safe.

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/26/14 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXbuckman
That is a great buck! The SHNF has put out some dandys this season. Those AR's are really starting to pay off.

I agree...have noticed some very nice bucks out there over the past few years...

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/26/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Congratulation on a Public buck that is beautiful. cheers Good hard work, and it paid well. What did you shot him with.

I shot him with my 30'06...dropped him where he stood and was surprised that it didn't mess up a lot of meat either...

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/26/14 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: redfred
The hope of seeing and shooting something like that buck is why I keep dragging my butt up to the Forest. Good job!!!

Keep at it...ol Mossy Horns is bound to make a wrong move at some point...

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/26/14 10:24 PM

Thanks guys...God is good!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: SHNF Buck - 11/27/14 02:56 AM

Congrats on an awesome buck!
Posted By: 01Z-71

Re: SHNF Buck - 12/04/14 07:06 PM

8-points are soooo cool! I got one on 11/12/2014, in the Sabine National Forest. Been hunting there for 19 yrs. now. Heard about some good deer coming out of SHNF, just cant see leaving the area i hunt right now, its been too productive. Nice buck.

Re: SHNF Buck - 12/06/14 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: 01Z-71
8-points are soooo cool! I got one on 11/12/2014, in the Sabine National Forest. Been hunting there for 19 yrs. now. Heard about some good deer coming out of SHNF, just cant see leaving the area i hunt right now, its been too productive. Nice buck.

I understand that...I used to come out there during deer season but Sam Houston is a lot closer to home for me. Last time I deer hunted at Sabine filled a doe tag out there, but that was years ago. Now I only come out there during turkey season. I see and hear turkey out there every year and finally managed to take a nice one this past April...
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: SHNF Buck - 12/06/14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Congrats!!! Dang fine buck up

Amen! Great buck
Posted By: dacton

Re: SHNF Buck - 12/08/14 07:53 PM

Nice buck!

I've got a rookie question for anyone that knows. So I got selected this year for a Doe tag for SHNF. Done a bunch a research and I'm a little confused with the rules for hunting public land. According to the their 2014-2015 info general season is "Nov. 1-Jan. 4 (buck only unless in possession of a USFS Antlerless Deer Permit obtained from the USFS. See USFS Additional Restriction section for more information on antlerless deer permits)."

So way I'm reading this since I have my hunting public lands permit, valid hunting license, hunting class card, and the USFS Antlerless permit. If I see a qualifying sized (see below) buck or a doe I could harvest either as long as I'm within the proper "hunting zone" on the maps. Correct?

A legal buck means:
"White Tail - bag limit - 1 buck and 2 antlerless (all seasons combined). Legal BUCK must have at least one unbranched antler or an inside spread of at least 13 inches"

My brother in law is a game warden for another state and I'm just being extra careful with the rules.

Re: SHNF Buck - 12/25/14 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: dacton

So way I'm reading this since I have my hunting public lands permit, valid hunting license, hunting class card, and the USFS Antlerless permit. If I see a qualifying sized (see below) buck or a doe I could harvest either as long as I'm within the proper "hunting zone" on the maps. Correct?

A legal buck means:
"White Tail - bag limit - 1 buck and 2 antlerless (all seasons combined). Legal BUCK must have at least one unbranched antler or an inside spread of at least 13 inches"

My brother in law is a game warden for another state and I'm just being extra careful with the rules.

Sorry for the late reply. That is correct....you can take either or both (buck and doe) if your lucky enough to have the opportunity to take two. If you go during bow season you can take two does using your regular tags on your hunting license as well as a buck if you have the opportunity. Then once gun season starts you can use your doe tag to take a third doe totaling 4 deer ...if you're lucky enough to have that kind of success. The Antlerless permit is more of a bonus tag only valid during gun season that is separate from your regular license tags
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum