Texas Hunting Forum

Lake Lavon Hog Hunting

Posted By: Stegar

Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/05/14 10:45 PM

I was on unit 11 and 13 this weekend all I saw was 2 Game Wardens. anyone have any better luck?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/06/14 12:13 AM

welcome ta THF not fulmilliar with area. it been awhile since seen hogs around here. best wishes flag
Posted By: spitfire

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/06/14 01:16 AM

I spent about 4 days out there last november. It was clear to me that I was just wasting my time.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/06/14 03:53 PM

dang, last year camped at one usualy see hogs at, 3days 2nights, or was it 4days 3nights. any way didn't see anything eather. Talked ta one of the guys that worked their, was told no-one seeing hogs. so didn't feel ap bad. couple weeks later, went back, seen 1or2 hogs, but its a big place. have sat during archery season for hours, day after day were hogs tore it up an seen no hogs. yet whin general hog season hit. best place ta hunt. confused2 sitting at house wondering about the woods is waste of time. they do have hog hunts on this form. have heard some great reviews. 24-7-365 tis gonna put a dent in hogs. what made WMA good hunting for hogs was they limit the time ya can hunt, &they get no pressure. my 2cents i got cheep poats. best wishes flag

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/06/14 05:37 PM

I saw a lot of torn up ground but no animals. the game wardens said the bow hunting only areas were showing lots of activity but I don't bow hunt.im going to try the other shotgun areas in the next few weeks with better luck hopefully.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/06/14 08:13 PM

Hogs are scarce, a trapper pulled quite a few out last year off the AMA airfield and the population hasn't recovered.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/06/14 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Stegar
I saw a lot of torn up ground but no animals. the game wardens said the bow hunting only areas were showing lots of activity but I don't bow hunt.im going to try the other shotgun areas in the next few weeks with better luck hopefully.

98% of the rooting up was done at night were i was setting up. be fresh sign every day. WMA no hog hunts at night so they have less pressure. two, warmer weather they bedded down, hogs don't have sweat glands ta cool down. my best luck for WMA hog hunts is going were the dogs don't like ta go. rofl lots of easing threw the woods, eyes scanning. have found tons of beds, got video of were latest the AR in the hog bed. scanned area with cam, stepped out, heard hog. it was few feet from bed. it had been chewing on a root, stick, think it was about ta have little ones. if ya found fresh sign, try getting their just before sun- up best wishes. flag

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/07/14 04:02 PM

I'll get out there a little earlier next time.
Thanks for the input !

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/07/14 06:43 PM

my posts are cheep, it been couple years since got a hog. whin theirs a lot of hogs even a blind person can stumble on one. whin i find were hogs rooting up, kick the dirt bye it, ya can see difference in it. ease threw, stop listen, lots of times can wind em, then again i fart a lot & the wind swearls. do most of my walken on the hog only hunts, or try ta stay out of way of archery hunters, some times whin the archery deer & hogs & shotgun, rimfire, &muzzzy squirrels are at same time. i take ol Kentucky, or Kentucky Jr out on hog hunts. hogs been put lots of pressure on them, right place right time. best wishes flag
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/14/14 01:49 AM

Any update from Lake Lavon?

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/14/14 11:36 PM

rumor has it they'll be back . whin theirs a lot of pressure on privete land land surrounding public land. hogs follow the creaks & such & if theirs brows, acorns thickets &such. public land can be best hog hunten around. they shut down at nights, no hog hunten, & most not open 24-7-365. yet they too, can get over hunted. best wishes flag
Posted By: Lonewolf84

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/15/14 07:26 PM

Took a hog there 2 years ago with my Xbow in plot X Got lucky. Hand corn. There were quite a few around too. http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/recreation/hunting.asp that's my hog.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/15/14 08:01 PM

awesome, have you hunted there since then? If not Lake Lavon, where do you hunt now?
Posted By: jono7183

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/16/14 02:04 AM

Scouted it about month ago and only saw about 5 white tail deer running around.good luck to all
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/16/14 04:38 PM

I have hunted both Lavon and Lewisville. Both have good populations of hogs. Problem is that a few "bad" hunters do it illegally and make it tougher for the rest of us. I have seen unauthorized traps, stands, and feeders. Someone doing it the legal way has a "hard row to hoe" when going up against the ones that put up stands and feeders (which are 100% illegal).

Best way to hunt them is during a very windy day. Still hunt into the wind and you can usually walk up on them without them hearing you. You will smell them out to 100 to 200 yards very easy on most days.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/17/14 04:14 AM

cheers Pittstate, move slow eyes roaming looking for movement. it fun sneaken up on em while sleepen & scaren de chit outa em. rofl got video flag

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 11/18/14 04:23 PM

Nice!!

I'm going back out this weekend. I'll give an update on how it went.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/08/14 06:37 PM

I walked up on 1 standing in a tank about 130 yds away. I got busted trying to get into range and she was gone into the thick stuff. I also came upon a fresh wallow on the creek bank, with wet mud balls leading into the brush. im getting closer!

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/08/14 09:28 PM

Which zone were you hunting? Shotgun or Archery?

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/08/14 09:31 PM

shotgun.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/09/14 02:10 AM

ok, so you are north of 380. We drove by there over the holiday, and there sure were a lot of wildlife officers running around. Also, it was very muddy. Did you see any snakes?
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/09/14 05:31 PM

stands (which are 100% illegal). NOT TRUE

Best way to hunt them is during a very windy day. Still hunt into the wind and you can usually walk up on them without them hearing you. You will smell them out to 100 to 200 yards very easy on most days. [/quote]
TRUE!
Removable tree stands are not illegal on lewisville! And the only time to stalk with success
Is in the fall or winter! The green belt is one of the thickest nastiest briar infested pieces of property I've ever experienced!
Pitt I'm sure you were talking about Wooden ladder stands! I see some up!

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/10/14 03:43 PM

I have not seen any snakes. I was approached by the GW on two days. they are checking the duck hunters and looking for deer hunters. There is no legal deer hunting out there but I think it is going on.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/10/14 04:53 PM

Watch out for Ole Leroy. He likes to wait at the access point for you to come out.

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/10/14 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BadLander

Best way to hunt them is during a very windy day. Still hunt into the wind and you can usually walk up on them without them hearing you. You will smell them out to 100 to 200 yards very easy on most days.
TRUE!
Removable tree stands are not illegal on lewisville! And the only time to stalk with success
Is in the fall or winter! The green belt is one of the thickest nastiest briar infested pieces of property I've ever experienced!
if alot of pressure thats were ta find de hogs. do lots of walken at one i hunt. move slow & eyes roaming. best wishes flag

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/10/14 05:44 PM

i'm Always Legal. No worries.
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/12/14 02:27 AM

I have not seen any snakes. I was approached by the GW on two days. they are checking the duck hunters and looking for deer hunters. There is no legal deer hunting out there but I think it is going on.

I thought you couldn't hog hunt out there until deer season was closed? That's the way is used to be. Anyway if the corp is stupid enough to allow hog hunting during deer season than you dang right people are deer hunting. How would they ever know unless they catchem' dragging out a deer. I mean a deer hunter looks exactly like a hog hunter and how many people go out there hog hunting and end up deer hunting when a deer walks out in front of them? A bunch I would imagine.
Posted By: sethcros

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/12/14 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Westtexan1

I thought you couldn't hog hunt out there until deer season was closed? That's the way is used to be. Anyway if the corp is stupid enough to allow hog hunting during deer season than you dang right people are deer hunting. How would they ever know unless they catchem' dragging out a deer. I mean a deer hunter looks exactly like a hog hunter and how many people go out there hog hunting and end up deer hunting when a deer walks out in front of them? A bunch I would imagine.

But deer hunting isn't allowed out there...

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/12/14 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Westtexan1

don't think any close hog hunting durinng deer hunts. flag

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/12/14 04:03 PM

well there is always that group of people that breaks rules and disrespects the land that screws it up for all the rest of us. people that don't have the control to not shoot when they Know they are not supposed to imo do not need to be able to hunt. people like that are the reason land owners will not let people hunt anymore. they are afraid that people will tear up their places or poach all of their game or sue if they get a hang nail while on their land. I have 0 tolerance for poachers.
Posted By: Squirrel Sniper

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/13/14 10:48 PM

I've hunted out there dozens of times and have yet to see a gw or park ranger.I must be hunting in the wrong spots.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/14/14 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Originally Posted By: BadLander

TRUE!
if alot of pressure thats were ta find de hogs. do lots of walken at one i hunt. move slow & eyes roaming. best wishes flag

Almost sounds like you are cruising in nightclub/bar/tavern/ bolt

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 12/14/14 02:54 AM

rofl spent lots a hours hog hunten. don't kill as many as most on here. just enjoy the time spent. best wishes flag
Posted By: Hog Man1

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 03/19/15 01:15 PM

Have any of you been out to Lavon recently? Hogs are hard to find!

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 03/20/15 02:36 AM

welcome ta THF Hog Man 1 flag
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 03/20/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Man1
Have any of you been out to Lavon recently? Hogs are hard to find!

There was a (legal) trapper that put a significant dent in the hog population on the East and West side of Lavon the winter and spring of 2014.

Up until a year ago, when we flew RC planes at the AMA field (next to the Broughtonia (sp?) boat ramp) it was common to see hogs or hear them running off when we'd pull in to park. I've seen none at the AMA field since.
Posted By: Hog Man1

Re: Lake Lavon Hog Hunting - 05/28/15 12:20 AM

Anyone been out in a while?? Is it under water?? Ha. Been a month for me. Last time saw two hogs... Good size too!! Want to go getem!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum