Texas Hunting Forum

Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport

Posted By: Cleric

Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport - 06/13/18 12:59 AM

Does anyone with a mark 5 3-18 have a few minutes to help me out tomorrow evening. I am interested in the scope and wanted to look through it at sun down. Figured we can meet up around 745-800 at a park in grapevine or coppell. I have heard great things about the pst 2 3-15, and will have one to compare.

If you can help shoot me a pm please
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport - 06/13/18 03:37 PM

I have a VX5-HD, 3-15, VX6 3-18. They both seem to create light, can't say enough about them. Let me know if these would help.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport - 06/14/18 10:28 PM

I’m too far to help with a comparison but I have a 3.6-18 and couldn’t be happier so far. Mine will pull hunting duties but as of yet I have not shot in low light with it.

One thing that I did impress me with te MK5 is the amount of adjustment in the scope. My 18” AR creed takes 9.8 Mils to get to 1000. The scope still has 9.7 Mils of vertical adjustment left AFTER dialing to 1000. This is with a 0 MOA base. Of course your numbers will vary but still, I thought that was pretty nice.

Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport - 06/14/18 10:53 PM

I've got a Mark 5 5-25 with the CCH reticle and it performs well in all light conditions. For under 2k there's not a scope that can top it. It's in the same league as the gen 2 Razor and Nightforce ATACR.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport - 06/15/18 04:01 AM

Around the 2k price point I think it’s a close call between the mark 5, Atacr and Amg

The biggest issue I have with the mark 5 is the only reticle that interest me is the tremor and that has it pros and cons.

I was surprised at how the pst 2 held its own. In daylight there was little to no difference between the ers and pst 2. Only after sun down did the difference start showing up. The contrast was great ont he pst 2. I had seen a lot of posts saying optically the 3-15 is the best in the bunch
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Mark 5 3-18- helped needed north of dfw airport - 06/15/18 11:03 AM

The PST 2 3-15 is pretty nice.

I've heard the Leupold Mark 5 is awesome, but I can't see spending that kind of money with the ridiculous reticle selection they have. But then again, I suppose if you liked one of them, that's all you'd need to be happy. I just didn't find any of them even close to being what I consider well-designed.

My next scope will have .2 mil marks for windage. That, and the lines being too thick, are my biggest complaints on the SWFA mil quad.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum