Texas Hunting Forum

Meopta Scopes

Posted By: scottfromdallas

Meopta Scopes - 05/28/18 08:29 PM

What are your thoughts on Meopta Scopes? I'm considering the Meopro 6x42. I have one of the last American made Winchester 70 Featherweights in 7-08. Shortly after purchasing the rifle they moved production from South Carolina to Portugal. I'm thinking this combo with 120 Ballistic Tips at 3,000 FPS would be a great point and shoot lighter weight hunting rig. Sighted in 2" high at 100 yards would be only 5" low at 300 yards. I've heard the 6X glass is stellar in low light and the scope is built like a tank.

Any feedback on Meopta scopes are welcome.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/6/24/meopta-meopro-6x-42-mm/
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/28/18 08:38 PM

Good scopes, very clear but some are heavy

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/28/18 08:39 PM

Dang it meant to post this in optics! bang
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/28/18 10:04 PM

Would probably rather have a swfa 6 so you can have some wind marks

The meopta would be fine though
Posted By: booradley

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/28/18 10:14 PM

My favorite scope in what I can afford. Have two 3.5-10x44s and a pair of their binoculars.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/29/18 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Dang it meant to post this in optics! bang

Took care of that cheers
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/29/18 02:24 AM

Meopta rocks, you want ne disappointed
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/29/18 03:56 AM

Great low light scope.
Posted By: spitfire

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/29/18 01:47 PM

I'm a big fan of the ones I have. I have a few from Cabelas that were made by meopta, and also the Zeiss conquest.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Meopta Scopes - 05/29/18 04:25 PM

yep, good stuff

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/18/18 01:09 AM

I ordered a 6X42 with a plex reticle and it came Friday. I have to say the glass is really nice. The scope is beautiful. I've been in "turret" mode for about 2 years so it's refreshing to have a simple point and shoot scope. I recognize the fact that it will limit the distance I can potentially shoot but when I use it, I never have to worry about focal planes, which magnification it's on, turrets getting bumped, etc...

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/18/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I ordered a 6X42 with a plex reticle and it came Friday. I have to say the glass is really nice. The scope is beautiful. I've been in "turret" mode for about 2 years so it's refreshing to have a simple point and shoot scope. I recognize the fact that it will limit the distance I can potentially shoot but when I use it, I never have to worry about focal planes, which magnification it's on, turrets getting bumped, etc...

Nice looking rig, Scott. I have a fixed 6x on my 308 and I love it. The field of view is great.

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/18/18 01:44 AM

Thanks, I put it on my 338 Federal to test it out.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/18/18 02:03 AM

Hard to beat that all around combo scott. That scope is bomb proof, and that 120 BT is a wicked killer. Great choices all the way around IMO.
Posted By: Ben SportOptics

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/27/18 08:38 PM

Good looking rig.

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/28/18 08:50 PM

Rock Me!!

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/28/18 10:38 PM

Is that new? What am it?

Is that a freaking Tikka?

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/29/18 07:10 PM

SAKO !!!!!!!!!

Quad Varmint .22LR

we dont need no stinkin Tikkas roflmao

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/29/18 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
SAKO !!!!!!!!!

Quad Varmint .22LR

we dont need no stinkin Tikkas roflmao

I was worried about your high roller status if that was a Tikka. Sako makes sense for you Buzz. If the optic new? How do you like it? I was really impressed with the 6X. The clarity is amazing for $500 scope.

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/29/18 11:51 PM

Here is where the scope is staying. 45 grains of Varget was good for 3040 FPS with 120 Ballistic Tips ( I use the Nosler version).

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/30/18 02:13 AM

Why? What's wrong with Hornady Ballistic Tips??
scared
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/30/18 02:41 AM

I've had very mixed results with Hornady SST's (Hornady's ballistic tip). Admittedly I haven't used them in about 5 years, but that was due to having them fail to stay together, i.e. "blow apart" on deer sized game at closer ranges. I've never had that happen with Nosler BT's, at least since 1990 or so when they toughened them up. As I mentioned earlier, the 120 is a great bullet.

139gr SST, 7mm Rem Mag, 3150 at muzzle, impact at 100 yds. Obviously the bullet encountered some bone.......

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/30/18 02:56 AM

Hell, ya almost didn't even have to field dress it. Reckon they could make a selling point out of that?

loser8
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/30/18 04:52 AM

Big, heavy for caliber bullet, slowed down a tad is where it's at.

Re: Meopta Scopes - 06/30/18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
I've had very mixed results with Hornady SST's (Hornady's ballistic tip). Admittedly I haven't used them in about 5 years, but that was due to having them fail to stay together, i.e. "blow apart" on deer sized game at closer ranges. I've never had that happen with Nosler BT's, at least since 1990 or so when they toughened them up. As I mentioned earlier, the 120 is a great bullet.

139gr SST, 7mm Rem Mag, 3150 at muzzle, impact at 100 yds. Obviously the bullet encountered some bone.......

I think I've seen you post that picture on a another forum. Although it appears to be a freak incident, it would certainly scare me off from using them if that happened to me. Like you, I love the NOSLER ballistic tips for hunting. They don't have as good a BC as the new Hornadys or Bergers but I like their performance on game. The solid base boat tail makes them perform almost like a Partition. Shooters Pro Shop is wonderful for picking up Nosler bullets at heavily discounted prices.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Meopta Scopes - 07/01/18 03:52 PM

Just inherited this same rifle in 30-06. Was my grandpas for at least 20 years, probably longer. Looking for a scope to put on it now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum