Texas Hunting Forum

I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a

Posted By: Pig_Popper

I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 03:40 AM

https://www.overwatch-optics.com/product-p/ow-1a.htm

Talked with the CEO of the company , nice Man.

The battery compartment held 4 CR123a batteries he states it can support 10 hours continuous runtime

The near eye display looked good

He says it is recoil tolerant up to 50 BMG

The front objective focus was smooth If not a bit too easy to turn

Video out plug is like the IR Hunter / Trijicon scopes

Has picture in picture like the pulsars
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 02:53 PM

Did they have a working unit they let you look through?

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
Did they have a working unit they let you look through?

Yes Sir they did, it has a color screen with palette options, and it looked good for its price point.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 04:20 PM

That's some good display resolution for the price. I wonder if they'll sell direct to consumer or wholesale to retailers. I'd like to check one out.

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
That's some good display resolution for the price. I wonder if they'll sell direct to consumer or wholesale to retailers. I'd like to check one out.

He seemed willing to sell to the public, be our guinea pig....

I will say I thought the battery compartment was a joke, lots to go wrong with it’s design and it didn’t appear to be of quality.

The startup time was rather long 12-15 seconds

Other than that it needs to be reviewed and hunted hard............

5 year warranty
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

He seemed willing to sell to the public, be our guinea pig....

I will say I thought the battery compartment was a joke, lots to go wrong with it’s design and it didn’t appear to be of quality.

The startup time was rather long 12-15 seconds

Other than that it needs to be reviewed and hunted hard............

5 year warranty

I'm more of a $500 guinea pig. I'll have to let someone with mo money try this one first.

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/06/18 04:31 PM

Me too!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/07/18 03:16 AM

No way I’m spending that kind of money on a company I’ve never heard of. Would be interesting g to see some in depth reviews of it and see it used hard in the field.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: I saw a new thermal weapon sight at the NRA Annual Meeting Today - Overwatch Optics OW-1a - 05/07/18 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
[quote=ImTheReasonDovesMourn]

Battery compartments seem to be a sticking point on a lot of units. Armsight/FLIR (PTS series) have the terrible fine threaded disk/cap that is really hard to get threaded properly and almost always involves screwing the wrong way before you can start screwing it the right way (did I just say that?). Trjicon (particularly the IR Hunters) have the difficult to hold because you can't get your fingers on both sides screw cap that is tough to seat because the spring tension is so high and is needed to be high to offset keeping power from disconnecting during recoil because the batteries are in line with recoil. Pulsar's Apex has top loaded batteries that make changing batteries involve either a magnet or inverting the gun to get the batteries out. Plus if you don't seat the battery compartment door properly, it will pop off during recoil.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum