Texas Hunting Forum

Redfield Accu-Range with 6.5 Creedmoor?

Posted By: aggie-01

Redfield Accu-Range with 6.5 Creedmoor? - 04/25/18 04:16 PM

Anyone running a Redfield with the Accu-Range reticle on a 6.5 Creedmoor? I have a 2x7x33 Revolution on my 257 Roberts and really like it. I am thinking of getting a 4x12x40 Revolution with it but wasn't sure how the hold overs work would work with the Creedmoor.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Redfield Accu-Range with 6.5 Creedmoor? - 04/25/18 05:06 PM

If the muzzle velocity is the same as the reticle is programmed, and the bullet has the same BC as the reticle is programmed, it will line up. If not, it won't. Most BC type reticles (or turrets) will be close enough out to about 300 yards. At 400 yards and out, is where you will begging to see a noticeable difference.

I have had customers spend thousands of dollars on high end rifle, high end scope, my top notch custom ammo, and then put a BDC turret on their scope programmed in a certain environmental condition. One guy dialed to 5 on his BDC turret for 500 yards, and shot a 1.5" group at 500 yards with his high end 6.5x284. But the group was 11" low. He called me all mad, so I said let's calculate it. I ran the drop numbers for how his turret was programmed, and then ran the numbers on the EXACT shooting conditions he was shooting in. I calculated 10.2" difference!! So, the weak link in his "system" is the BDC turrets on his scope. System meaning rifle, ammo, shooter, and scope.
Posted By: aggie-01

Re: Redfield Accu-Range with 6.5 Creedmoor? - 04/25/18 06:41 PM

Chad

I completely agree with you that there are so many variables with BDC reticles. This would mainly be for hunting and fun target shooting. Just not sure if it would be worth getting the Accu-Range. I have the normal 4-plex on the one I have. I was just curious if anyone had used it with the 6.5CM and had any first hand knowledge. Here is the info from Redfield.

https://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/redfield-accu-range-cartridge-groups/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum