Texas Hunting Forum

Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23

Posted By: thermal time

Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/14/18 11:49 PM

New firmware came out today. Supposed to fix the point of impact change with temperature issue that so many have complained about. They caution to check your zero after updating before heading out to hunt. I think the best we can hope for is an attempt to minimizing P.O.I. shift with temperature changes not to totally eliminate the shift.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/15/18 02:15 AM

Thanks just did my xq50 trail. Pulsar makes this so easy
Posted By: hetman

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/15/18 02:46 AM

are all thermals subject to this ? ie:flir etc etc
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/15/18 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: hetman
are all thermals subject to this ? ie:flir etc etc

Nope. All have their own special issues, however. This is just one of the special issues with this particular model. No such problems have been reported with the Pulsar Apex series, for example.
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/15/18 03:03 PM

Do the apex line have any updates?
Nothing is wrong with mine just wondering?
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/15/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jay baker
Do the apex line have any updates?
Nothing is wrong with mine just wondering?

There is no way for an end user to update an Apex but thankfully there have been no issues at all reported with the new Apexes, so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Jason
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/15/18 03:23 PM

Thanks, Jason.

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 12:18 AM

Ok so who else did this new firmware update my results where not good . I guess I should’ve did more research before i got the xq50 trail i did not know about the poi problem I’ve only had this thing 2 weeks
needless to say when i called pulsar they quickly gave me a RA# to drop it off at there facility down the road from me . We’ll see what happens
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 01:34 AM

What's not working?

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhio
What's not working?
. Well everything works on the unit except the most important keeping the same zero it really seems to me the warmer the scope gets the more the poi moves not 1 or 2 inches I’m taking 4 to 5 inch shifts I’ve reading on other forms that this has been a common problem
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 11:22 AM

I’d like to see this happen first hand. Any chance I can get you to come down here?

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
I’d like to see this happen first hand. Any chance I can get you to come down here?
I’ve already dropped the thermal off at sellmark they already know about the problem it’s talked about on several other forms . Also I’m done wasting ammo 4 boxes of 30ar and 2 boxes of Hornady for my Grendel it did this on 3 different rifles
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 05:45 PM

Wasn’t questioning you. Hope it was taken that way. Really just want to see it with my own eyes is all. Sorry your gear is down . Look me up if the trigger finger gets twitchy will your waiting. I’ve got extra. Welcome to come down

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/22/18 06:00 PM

No offense takin Felix at nv guys is trying to take care of this as fast as he can great c/s there. He’s had a few trails with this same problem I just got a bad egg .
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/29/18 06:40 PM

So I hunted the last weekend of buck season when the ice blew threw with my Apex . The freezing rain was sticking to everything. A shootable buck comes in and I line up for a 128 yard shot. Pull the trigger and watch this rascal bound away. I’m thinking I made a solid hit but never found any sign. Went back to camp and shot at a 30yard target and it was all over the place. So I sent the rifle to the gunsmith to see if it was the rifle or the scope. The Smith didn’t find anything wrong and showed my the test target at 80 yards that grouped a little ove moa. I’m thinking my scope may have this temperature issue as well?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/29/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
I’m thinking my scope may have this temperature issue as well?

The Apex is quite different than the Trail, has been around for a long time and to my knowledge, does not have user update-able FW. I had an XD50A and now shoot an XQ50 and neither showed issues with moving POI whether hot or cold, other than shooter induced.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 03/29/18 07:52 PM

So I hunted the last weekend of buck season when the ice blew threw with my Apex . The freezing rain was sticking to everything. A shootable buck comes in and I line up for a 128 yard shot. Pull the trigger and watch this rascal bound away. I’m thinking I made a solid hit but never found any sign. Went back to camp and shot at a 30yard target and it was all over the place. So I sent the rifle to the gunsmith to see if it was the rifle or the scope. The Smith didn’t find anything wrong and showed my the test target at 80 yards that grouped a little ove moa. I’m thinking my scope may have this temperature issue as well?

I would check to make sure your mount is still torqued to proper specs. Apex has not had POI issues like the trail.

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 04/07/18 11:31 PM

So while you say the problem does not exist in the Apex, here I am describing the exact issue. Now granted we don’t know if it was the cold or the Freezing rain or the sheet of ice covering everything at the time, the fact is I took it to a professional smith with access to a 80 yard indoor range that reports back to me the gun group less than an inch when he tested it. Not trying to cause a ruckus merely stating what has happened.

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 04/07/18 11:36 PM

Oh yes mount, it is a Pulsar QD mount that is extremely well fitted. I have tested it numerous times and it returns perfectly to the previous POI.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 04/08/18 01:55 AM

So while you say the problem does not exist in the Apex, here I am describing the exact issue.

You're trying to equate a SW problem in one device to a completely different one because it's the same Mfr. My apologies for disagreeing.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 04/08/18 01:58 AM

Oh yes mount, it is a Pulsar QD mount that is extremely well fitted. I have tested it numerous times and it returns perfectly to the previous POI.

You need to try it with the original OEM Mount

Re: Pulsar Trail new firmware ver. 3.0.23 - 04/08/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

You need to try it with the original OEM Mount

I don’t know what that will prove at this point. Unfortunately on this trip I left my AR at home. If I had it here I could have tested at near freezing temperatures. At 70 degrees at the range it grouped just like it was supposed to, about the size of your thumb at 80 yards. Swapping the mount would not prove anything unless I could recreate the sub-freezing, icy, nasty weather that looks like caused the problem. See what I mean? It’s shooting fine in good weather.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum