Texas Hunting Forum

Pistol optics (red dots)

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Pistol optics (red dots) - 03/07/18 01:43 AM

I have a Bushnell trs-25 on a browning buckmark. My groups actually get worse when I use it. I know 100% the scope works perfectly because I shoot it off of a rest with extremely tight groups. I think the dot is too small. I find myself chasing the dot and noticing every tiny little movement. That doesn’t happen with the irons. I know I can shoot it without the scope, but I really want a red dot on this pistol. If I have this problem with this scope, will I have the same issue with an RMR or vortex or fast fire? Or is it because of the style of sight?

To edit, it’s a great sight that holds zero really well. I love it on my crossbow or AR, just not sure it’s great for a pistol.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Pistol optics (red dots) - 03/07/18 04:54 AM

Sightmark has some good red dot piston sights. Look into them.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Pistol optics (red dots) - 03/07/18 05:01 AM

you shoot 1 eye or both eyes - zero is just a little bit different between the 2 try it each way and see which one works better. I shoot with both eyes open. pistols I stick with 3moa dots minimum
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pistol optics (red dots) - 03/07/18 05:14 AM

You’re going to be chasing the dot just like you would chase the dot of a laser. It shows lots of error that you wouldn’t see in open sights.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pistol optics (red dots) - 03/07/18 05:16 AM

I run a Burris FF3 on my S&W 460XVR and I like it. Believe it’s a 3 MOA dot, it’s pretty big at 200 yards, but works fine at 100 for what I hunt with it
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Pistol optics (red dots) - 04/17/18 05:29 PM

Ended up splurging like crazy and putting a c-more sight on a 90 degree mount. Holy cow, it’s amazing. The 90 Mount puts the lens a couple millimeters above the slide. Dot acquisition is instant as it’s basically a co witness with irons (it I had irons on this gun) because it’s so natural, I also am not chasing the dot like I was before. It cost me $300 for Mount and c-more, but it’s truly top notch.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum