Texas Hunting Forum

The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233

Posted By: HansETX

The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 03:19 PM

So I've had a chance to use the new Flir ThermoSight Pro PTS 233 for the past 2 weeks, I've had several hours of glass time with this scope and I feel like I know it well enough to give my honest/unbiased opinion. I hunted with it every night... I spotted, scanned, shot, and tested everything on this unit that I could think of. This is the newest "budget" thermal from Flir in quite a while, coming in at a very buyer friendly price at around $2,200. In the review video you'll see my likes/dislikes... you'll see actual video through the scope and some of the different picture modes, preset enhancement modes, and all of the shooting reticle choices. If you're looking at getting into thermal hunting for the first time, if $2,200 is your max budget, or if your looking to add an additional thermal scope to your collection... the PTS233 is worth looking at and considering. If you have any questions I'll give you a very unbiased answer...

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 03:45 PM

Hans thanks for the info !

Can you advise on what calibers your tried with the scope during your testing and what the manufacturer recoil rating is listed as?

These (PTS Thermosight PROs) are the first models of the FLIR/ARMASIGHT venture and I think they have ALOT going for them. A couple of the issues I noted with Armasight scopes I used in the past was that the screen (near eye display) would develop artifacts at high recoil (308 or higher) and the auto gain would tend to wash out or darken the overall image too much, too often.

Did you experience any of these during your tests? If not then I would say those kinks got worked out and that the PTS series is going to be very attractive for night hunters!

P.S. - if you would like to test the scope on some heavier calibers (30-06 / 338 Federal / 7mm Rem Mag) let me know, I'm sure we can arrange something rifle

!!!Good review by the way!!!

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Hans thanks for the info !

Can you advise on what calibers your tried with the scope during your testing and what the manufacturer recoil rating is listed as?

These (PTS Thermosight PROs) are the first models of the FLIR/ARMASIGHT venture and I think they have ALOT going for them. A couple of the issues I noted with Armasight scopes I used in the past was that the screen (near eye display) would develop artifacts at high recoil (308 or higher) and the auto gain would tend to wash out or darken the overall image too much, too often.

Did you experience any of these during your tests? If not then I would say those kinks got worked out and that the PTS series is going to be very attractive for night hunters!

P.S. - if you would like to test the scope on some heavier calibers (30-06 / 338 Federal / 7mm Rem Mag) let me know, I'm sure we can arrange something rifle

!!!Good review by the way!!!

Thanks Pig Popper! I tested this unit on a .223 using 62 grain ammo. It's rated for max .308. I didn't test it out on my .308 but I can slap it on there and report back to you, if you'd like..

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 05:58 PM

Thanks Hans, that’d be awesome .

I think experience and information pertaining to recoil resilience, tested and repeated, is very important to buyers.

The scope is so new you’d be giving us the first word on the matter wink
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 06:11 PM

This new version of flir products better than the Armasight Predator series of thermals
Posted By: mikei

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: KK30RAR
This new version of flir products better than the Armasight Predator series of thermals

KK30RAR, is that a question or a statement?

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 06:57 PM

Sorry question ?

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 07:04 PM

I hunted with the Armasight Predator 336 for about a year and I’ll tell you that the picture quality on the PTS233 is definitely better. I’ll put the PTS233 on my .308 and see how it reacts..

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 07:16 PM

Granted it isn't the end all be all there are many other variables involved but the

Armasight Predator ran the FLIR Tau 2 17 micron core

the PTS223 runs the FLIR Boson 12 micron core

The new tech *should* translate to better imagery , of course somebody needs to throw the Boson core around on 308 or higher to see that the new cores are recoil stable and anchored well....
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 07:31 PM

Only rated to 308 bolt
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/02/18 08:25 PM

Just bought this thermal myself. Haven't hunted with it, but will share what I think so far.

Pros:
Seems well built
Nice mount
Ease of use/controls
Good selection of color palettes
Picture and video are very clear
Price point

Cons:
No audio
Non focusable lens

I'll post videos and additional thoughts once I get to hunt with the scope. For me I had a very tight budget and this scope seemed to meet most of my wants. I'd love a bigger lens, more magnification and audio, but I simply wasn't willing to spend anymore than I did.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/04/18 04:49 PM

They're dang good for the price point. Basically an upgraded Armasight predator.

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/04/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
They're dang good for the price point. Basically an upgraded Armasight predator.

Agreed!
Posted By: 6.5 shooter

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 02:14 PM

Wonder if audio can be added, from some update?
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 03:52 PM

It cannot. It doesn't have a microphone or the ability for user firmware updates.

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 04:33 PM

One more question. How far can you see to shoot pigs?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 04:34 PM

Unfortunately, no sound makes for rather boring videos.

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Unfortunately, no sound makes for rather boring videos.

That’s what the music import feature is for and those laser sound effects...

partyon555

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 09:11 PM

The lack of audio is a negative for people who like to create content. I'm having to record audio on my cell phone and then splice it together with the video. It's not fun, but heck, for the past several months I've add to do the same thing on my Pulsar Trail.. Thankfully that issue has been resolved through the firmware update..

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jay baker
One more question. How far can you see to shoot pigs?

Really.. conservatively I'd say 150 yards on a night with low humidity. 150 and closer is where you want to be with this scope..

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 09:21 PM

Thanks, Hans.
I really appreciate it.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/05/18 10:29 PM

Don't know about a .308 but mounted on one of my 6.8s, no problem so far. I sighted it in Saturday, it was bright sunshine and hot. I used a hand warmer for the thermal target. Didn't have time to go to my 100 yd range so I went to the hay lot and sighted it in 1" low @ 50 yds. This little clip is after I sighted it in, I was just burning up some FMJ loads. Video is a little washed out but I didn't adjust the enhancements that I had set the night before.

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/06/18 04:00 PM

I can’t belive there isn’t any available for sale. FLIR and pulsar missed out on the market.
Posted By: hetman

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/06/18 08:02 PM

Just ordered one, cant hunt this coming weekend but will be out 2/16-2/18

shipping from Ft worth to Addison should be here this week

ordered from www.nightvisionoutfitters.com they said they just got 10 in stock 2/6/2018 @ 2pm
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/06/18 11:45 PM

I can’t belive there isn’t any available for sale. FLIR and pulsar missed out on the market.

FLIR has been dribbling the PTS233's out a few at a time and it's been very frustrating. I'm hoping that changes within the next few months but as the PTS536, PTS736 and the Breach start shipping, I'm afraid it will get worse because they all use the exact same Boson thermal core.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 02:06 AM

I have one coming in to review..
I have spent a fair bit of time on thermals at different price points
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 12:52 PM

This is a serious question. When you say review, what do you mean? I think most people would like to see the thing used in the field. Really used, not just someone shot a coyote of the back porch , then went back into the house where it’s warm . Nobody to my knowledge has taken the thing out all night and beat it up in the mud and grit and weather to see how the thing operates in the real world ..

If I did a “review” of new dodge truck, and said hey this thing is awesome. It pulled a single axle trailer loaded down with yeti coolers with no problem, everyone would call me a moron. But at the same time, people seem ok with that type of review for whatever the newest thermal is. Seems perfectly acceptable to walk outside, shoot a pig off your porch, then return to heated house. There’s not much real world use there it doesn’t seem. Maybe I’m the only one noticing this trend . I’d like to see you use the thing a couple nights in a row , then tell us what you think.

This isn’t directed at you, so much as this very popular “review” process going on now. I hope you beat it up, and report back . Look forward to your report

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 02:29 PM

What would be a better choice between the FLIR or the pulsar XQ38?

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
This is a serious question. When you say review, what do you mean? I think most people would like to see the thing used in the field. Really used, not just someone shot a coyote of the back porch , then went back into the house where it’s warm . Nobody to my knowledge has taken the thing out all night and beat it up in the mud and grit and weather to see how the thing operates in the real world ..

If I did a “review” of new dodge truck, and said hey this thing is awesome. It pulled a single axle trailer loaded down with yeti coolers with no problem, everyone would call me a moron. But at the same time, people seem ok with that type of review for whatever the newest thermal is. Seems perfectly acceptable to walk outside, shoot a pig off your porch, then return to heated house. There’s not much real world use there it doesn’t seem. Maybe I’m the only one noticing this trend . I’d like to see you use the thing a couple nights in a row , then tell us what you think.

This isn’t directed at you, so much as this very popular “review” process going on now. I hope you beat it up, and report back . Look forward to your report

I look at most reviews as a piece of the greater whole -

Manufacturers want and expect to receive their testing and evaluation products back in near the same condition that it was sent out. Then they send it to the next reviewer and it goes on and on.

Over a period of time the consumer will have multiple reviews and field use reports from owners (who are free to push their units to the extremes) to consider when making a buying decision.

In my opinion the manufacturers should be beating up and testing their product ahead of release and then reporting (video or technical report) to prospective buyers

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 02:41 PM

Dollar for dollar - guy is stretching to make the purchase and can’t spend an extra dime ?

Well the FLIR seems to have a lot of features going for it.

Bottom dollar entry level scope to thermal

Pulsar CoreRxQ30v

Then the FLIR

If the buyer would like the option of finer image adjustment, output capability to record image and sound and an external powerpack for all night hunting then I think that the Pulsar has the platform to offer that additional versatility

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm

I agree with alot that you say. When people are looking at a particular scope to purchase each person is looking to get some type of different information. Some want to see actual hunts and kills and some want to see the functionality and what the different modes look like and setup process. I try to do both... information and actual hunts. I'm posting video of 3 hunts with the PTS233 today and next week I'll post more... The video that you saw was a lot of technical info and my review after hunting with it every night for two weeks. When I made that video I had already dropped 5 hogs with it. This week I'll be posting video of those hunts.. Like I said, I agree with you... and I try to accommodate what everybody is looking for but sometimes I have to break it up into a few videos because of time constraints.. I appreciate the feedback

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 03:54 PM

which flir and which xq38 there’s apex and trail about 800$ difference in the two

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 04:30 PM

which flir and which xq38 there’s apex and trail about 800$ difference in the two

The apex xq38 and the FLIR PTS233.

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 05:36 PM

I would honestly say that the apex xq38 has better picture quality but it doesn't have the internal video recorder..
Posted By: He'sDeadJim

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/07/18 05:44 PM

The apex xq38 and the FLIR PTS233.

Unquestionably the Apex XQ38 has a better picture. Like way better. If recording is important to you, buy a UNV MDVR for the Apex. Then you will have video AND sound, which you can never get with the PTS233.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: He'sDeadJim
...which you can never get with the PTS233.

Jim, the PTS233 does have built in, recoil activated recording.
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 03:09 AM

My statements weren’t directed at you. Really more about “reviews” in general. Example, the guy that posted a comment about he was getting a unit to review, on a thread that you started, to review flirs new baby. If you get on YouTube I’m sure there will be 50 people who also did a review, most of which will be of their pet golden retriever in the living room. Just seems like real world use/feedback would be pretty useful to people making decisions about what to spend money on . Hope no offense was taken, none was intended. As I mentioned before, I was impressed with your video making skills . I understand you can’t use the thing to drive fencing staples, but I hope you beat it up as much as you can get away with , and see how well it really works.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Originally Posted By: He'sDeadJim
...which you can never get with the PTS233.

Jim, the PTS233 does have built in, recoil activated recording.
sound is what he is referring g too

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 05:44 AM

Good question. If you are talking about image quality, it's no comparison. The Apex XQ38 wins that race every time. It is much better than the PTS233. But the PTS233 was never designed to compete with the XQ38. It is the competitor to the Pulsar Core RXQ30V. Those scopes are extremely similar but the PTS233 has internal video recording.

Here is the way I see it. If you are on a tight budget and don't need video recording, buy the RXQ30V. If you are on a budget and need video recording, buy the PTS233. If you can spend $300 more and don't need internal video recording (you can always add a MDVR later), buy the XQ38.

That's my 2 cents.

Jason

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 12:39 PM

Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread, but a lot of great information is here.
What is the best MDVR for a pulsar apex xq38?
Thanks.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
sound is what he is referring to.

Hans posted a video yesterday with his PTS233 and it has sound, did he record the sound separately? I just haven't read they did not capture sound.

HansETX video link
Posted By: ccoker

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 03:31 PM

I think a real world review is using it for a few months and reporting on how well it worked.
Did it do what they said it would do?
for thermal, at what distances does it work to id "something" vs "yeah, that's is definitely a X" and not just based on interpretation of activity.

I really don't care what condition it goes back in frankly.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
sound is what he is referring to.

Hans posted a video yesterday with his PTS233 and it has sound, did he record the sound separately? I just haven't read they did not capture sound.

HansETX video link

Yes, he recorded the sound on his phone. I have the PTS-233 and it does not record sound.

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/08/18 04:25 PM

Correct, there is no sound because there is no microphone on the PTS233. Sound was recorded separately and spliced in, just like we had to do with the Trails for all of last year. Thankfully that's fixed now!

Jay, the UNV MDVR is "the" video recorder of choice for most everyone in the NV world. It's used on everything from Trijicons and all the way down. There is also a really nice custom cable for the Apex's that is just the right length when used in conjunction with the Pulsar pig tail adapter that comes with the scope.

Hit me up if you have more questions.

Jason
Posted By: hetman

Re: The New "Budget" Thermal Flir Scope- PTS233 - 02/09/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: hetman
Just ordered one, cant hunt this coming weekend but will be out 2/16-2/18

shipping from Ft worth to Addison should be here this week

ordered from www.nightvisionoutfitters.com they said they just got 10 in stock 2/6/2018 @ 2pm

Pissed me off - when I ordered it showed to be in stock- now its on back order 2 weeks to a month flame whip
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum