Texas Hunting Forum

$500 spotting scope

Posted By: chital_shikari

$500 spotting scope - 01/30/18 05:56 AM

I am fairly certain I'm going to buy a spotting scope this year. It's gotta be 20-60x80mm. I've decided on a $500 budget because the el-cheapo glass at public ranges is crap and if I wanted to save money I'd get one of those and because $500<$800.

The three that are most appealing to me are Leupold SX1 Ventana, Nikon ProStaff 5, and Vortex Diamondback (in this order). Here's a few reasons why:
>with starter kits I can get them at about $500
>have Leupold, Nikon, and Vortex glass currently, really like their products
>I like these three brands

Any other recommendations in this budget of $500, which is to say <$625?
The primary use of this scope will be at the shooting range from 100-600yd and if I'm ever fortunate enough, then a hunting trip that requires such hefty glass.

Thank you
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: $500 spotting scope - 01/31/18 12:19 AM

I had two buddies with Diamondbacks and they each sold it and bought Razors.

I've had the Razor 16-48 and a Nikon 13-40x. Both would do the job you are looking to do for the rifle range.

You can probably find a Viper HD used in that price range which would be in between the Diamondback and Razor.

Re: $500 spotting scope - 01/31/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
I had two buddies with Diamondbacks and they each sold it and bought Razors.

I've had the Razor 16-48 and a Nikon 13-40x. Both would do the job you are looking to do for the rifle range.

You can probably find a Viper HD used in that price range which would be in between the Diamondback and Razor.
Thank you!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: $500 spotting scope - 01/31/18 02:51 AM

I agree with duckhunter. I own diamondback binocs and love them, but looking through the diamondback spotting scope was less than stellar.

I bought a Razor 11-33 spotting scope used for $400. Stupid good glass for the money, but you do give up on magnification, although I'm sure if you're looking to do range work then I think the 33x max is plenty. If you're not willing to do that, I'd side with duckhunter and suggest a used Viper (though I haven't looked through one, I can imagine it's probably a good middle ground). But unless you need high mag, the lower-mag razor glass should not be ignored.

Re: $500 spotting scope - 01/31/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
I agree with duckhunter. I own diamondback binocs and love them, but looking through the diamondback spotting scope was less than stellar.

I bought a Razor 11-33 spotting scope used for $400. Stupid good glass for the money, but you do give up on magnification, although I'm sure if you're looking to do range work then I think the 33x max is plenty. If you're not willing to do that, I'd side with duckhunter and suggest a used Viper (though I haven't looked through one, I can imagine it's probably a good middle ground). But unless you need high mag, the lower-mag razor glass should not be ignored.
Thank you!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: $500 spotting scope - 01/31/18 02:41 PM

I have the Leupold you're looking at and I really like it. I got mine as a demo from Cameraland and came in greatly under your budget. Shop around, there are deals to be had!
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: $500 spotting scope - 01/31/18 02:48 PM

You'd be hard pressed to beat a Bushnell T series

http://bushnell.com/all-products/spotting-scopes/legend-tactical/15-45x-60mm-t-series

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/01/18 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I have the Leupold you're looking at and I really like it. I got mine as a demo from Cameraland and came in greatly under your budget. Shop around, there are deals to be had!
Awesome, just the review I need. I will most likely go this route, thank you!
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
will look at that!
Posted By: Cleric

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 12:43 AM

You can get a razor 11-33 for 499 right now

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Thank you!
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

From where? If that's the one from Cameraland it's gone.

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 03:35 AM

Didn’t know they just had one. They put them on sale from time to time

I bought a demo from them that I would have thought was new
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 03:44 AM

It wasn't from their inventory. They took on another stores inventory and listed it. Neil told me they aren't going to carry Vortex anymore.. or at least for the time being.

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TXBoss
It wasn't from their inventory. They took on another stores inventory and listed it. Neil told me they aren't going to carry Vortex anymore.. or at least for the time being.

explains why the prices were lower then usual.... wonder what happened
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 01:52 PM

Probably why Doug has been pimping Athlon so hard.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 02:50 PM

see my post above on the Leupold
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Buzz, I don't see another post from you in this thread?
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Buzz, I don't see another post from you in this thread?

roflmao
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/02/18 06:21 PM

For range use, have you looked at one of the wireless camera setups? BullsEye, Caldwell, and others sell them and can go out to a mile or so. It's in your budget range and provides a better picture than a spotting scope in the same price range. The million dollar question is if the range(s) that you use will allow them to be used.

I personally have found that it's better to have top tier binos than a low/mid-grade spotting scope. This is especially true when hunting and mostly true when target shooting. If I need to see bullet holes at longer ranges, I just use reactive targets or ring steel.

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/04/18 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000
For range use, have you looked at one of the wireless camera setups? BullsEye, Caldwell, and others sell them and can go out to a mile or so. It's in your budget range and provides a better picture than a spotting scope in the same price range. The million dollar question is if the range(s) that you use will allow them to be used.

I personally have found that it's better to have top tier binos than a low/mid-grade spotting scope. This is especially true when hunting and mostly true when target shooting. If I need to see bullet holes at longer ranges, I just use reactive targets or ring steel.
I did not know that these are within my price range. The range that is 200-600yd has this permission.
Posted By: Loanman

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/20/18 01:22 PM

I went with the Cabelas Krotus 20-60-x85, lifetime warranty and its the Athlon scope ( from what i have read) for $699....originally $1200.....they are clearing out their inventory....they had 3 left in Ft worth last week.
We had it out at the Niblo ranch last week looking at stuff thousands of yds away, and had a Leupold scope up against it and was considerably better for the money spent.
Posted By: JCO

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/22/18 09:05 AM

Cabelas has the Viper for 599 now. Was 899.
Posted By: LuckyVictim

Re: $500 spotting scope - 02/24/18 10:17 AM

Unless your dead set on those numbers, If it were me with that budget, I'd focus on higher quality glass and less magnification and objective.
Viper is a good scope, and Razor will blow your mind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum