Texas Hunting Forum

oh my, what have i done, mil man

Posted By: Buzzsaw

oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 03:32 PM

So as most of you know, I'm an old fart, set in his ways, who hates change. My new Swarovski Z6, 5-30X50mm will be here today. besides a great price, I get a free, custom, elevation turret.

I'm wanting to go back to dialing instead of the BDC, yeah, yeah, I know.

Anyway, talking with the Tech guy at Swarovski, I asked about a "dialing" turret. He said since the adjustments on my scope is .36 at 100 yards, 1/10th Mil (whatever that is) I would need to have a Mil based turret built.

My ballistic app on my phone, shows MOA and Mil

so basically without taking a class, you just don't turn the turret as much using MIL as with MOA

For example, Rifle is zeroed at 100 yards, I want to dial to 200, that's a .5 mil vs. 1.7 MOA? @ 500 yards 10.1 MOA vs. 2.9mil?

what's a mill turret look like? does it have more, smaller marks?
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 03:34 PM

Buzz, Which one did you buy? What is their part number?

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 03:40 PM

Hey Skylar, its the 59918, 4W reticle
SWRZ053050-B4WXBT

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 03:47 PM

i'm going to walk my dog be back in a few

shes driving me nuts
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
So as most of you know, I'm an old fart, set in his ways, who hates change. My new Swarovski Z6, 5-30X50mm will be here today. besides a great price, I get a free, custom, elevation turret.

I'm wanting to go back to dialing instead of the BDC, yeah, yeah, I know.

Anyway, talking with the Tech guy at Swarovski, I asked about a "dialing" turret. He said since the adjustments on my scope is .36 at 100 yards, 1/10th Mil (whatever that is) I would need to have a Mil based turret built.

My ballistic app on my phone, shows MOA and Mil

so basically without taking a class, you just don't turn the turret as much using MIL as with MOA

For example, Rifle is zeroed at 100 yards, I want to dial to 200, that's a .5 mil vs. 1.7 MOA? @ 500 yards 10.1 MOA vs. 2.9mil?

what's a mill turret look like? does it have more, smaller marks?

Smaller marks for one tenth of a mil larger for every 5 tenths. Half a mill would be first larger mark you dial to.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 03:50 PM

bang

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 04:19 PM

bang

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 04:39 PM

longest hunting shot will be 500

I will play on steel farther for grins
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 05:54 PM

The turret is correcting for the amount of drop or wind, and the amount of "turning" is the same regardless of the scribbling on the turret. Could be Chinese characters and the amount of correction would still be the same, just a different symbol. Mils, MOA's, other, whatever, the amount of correction needing to be dialed will be the same. Mils are fine, no big deal. Just write the corrections on tape on the side of the rifle.

What is on the reticle is important - real important. Pay attention to the choices there and make sure it matchs the turrets.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
The turret is correcting for the amount of drop or wind, and the amount of "turning" is the same regardless of the scribbling on the turret. Could be Chinese characters and the amount of correction would still be the same, just a different symbol. Mils, MOA's, other, whatever, the amount of correction needing to be dialed will be the same. Mils are fine, no big deal. Just write the corrections on tape on the side of the rifle.

What is on the reticle is important - real important. Pay attention to the choices there and make sure it matchs the turrets.

yep
Posted By: J.G.

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ccoker
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

yep

Yep

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/09/18 11:02 PM

I got it all figured out, thanks
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/10/18 03:16 PM

Sorry Buzz, I was slammed with calls yesterday and wasn't able to get back to THF.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/10/18 07:03 PM

Isn't the 4w reticle in moa, or did they come out with a mil version of the 4w?
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/11/18 01:17 AM

My head hurts!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/11/18 02:27 AM

How does something like this get complicated? You put your ap on MIL, then dial what it tells you to.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/11/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Isn't the 4w reticle in moa, or did they come out with a mil version of the 4w?

I thought the 4w was 2moa increments as well... Their website wouldn't lead you to believe any different.
Posted By: P_102

Re: oh my, what have i done, mil man - 01/11/18 03:17 AM

1.7 MOA at 200 must be a fairly heavy and slow bullet, my .243 is 1 MOA. MILS, like MOA is simply a way to measure and with your ballistics app it shouldn't be a problem.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum