Texas Hunting Forum

dropped leupold

Posted By: ScrapIron

dropped leupold - 12/19/17 08:23 PM

my sling swivel let loose and i dropped my rifle and dented the objective on my truck gun scope. it is a VXIII 2.5x8 leupold
its holding zero for sure i fired about 10 rounds and tapped it hard every which way which my palm and knife and it hasnt budged zero a bit it hasnt fogged up or anything.
i sure hate to send it in and be without for awhile as i use this gun 24/7/365 in my truck on the ranch and its literally an extension of my hands if you know what i mean.

wonder what they charge for that repair and if its even worth it?
Posted By: ccoker

Re: dropped leupold - 12/19/17 09:50 PM

if it is holing zero I wouldn't worry about it
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: dropped leupold - 12/19/17 10:10 PM

I'm with ccoker, if it's holding zero I'd run it until it doesn't. That's the very definition of truck gun, IMO. It's going to get beat just by the environ it lives in.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: dropped leupold - 12/19/17 10:20 PM

On the few occasions I have had to send something in to leupold, I have experienced excellent customer service.

I'd send it in to them and see what happens; and what's the worst that could happen? - they send it back or they give you a price to fix/refurbish it.
Posted By: pdugas

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
On the few occasions I have had to send something in to leupold, I have experienced excellent customer service.

I'd send it in to them and see what happens; and what's the worst that could happen? - they send it back or they give you a price to fix/refurbish it.

Exactly!!
Posted By: Shane431

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 02:18 PM

I dropped Leupold too. I now buy better scopes!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 03:04 PM

I don’t think Leupold deserved that comment. I’ve used them for decades and have only had one fail. A VX2 6-18 had to be sent back for repair. They fixed it and sent it right back. And I sent an old Vari-X III back for a new reticle, and they did as I asked but also rebuilt the scope internals. That impressed me.

Now I have an old fixed 6 power I bought used back in the late 70’s (I think). Sold it to my brother in the 90’s and he gave it back to me (scope swap) last year. I need to send it in for service.

Their scope hold up under long use (they have for me) and the warranty and warranty service is outstanding.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I don’t think Leupold deserved that comment. I’ve used them for decades and have only had one fail. A VX2 6-18 had to be sent back for repair. They fixed it and sent it right back. And I sent an old Vari-X III back for a new reticle, and they did as I asked but also rebuilt the scope internals. That impressed me.

Now I have an old fixed 6 power I bought used back in the late 70’s (I think). Sold it to my brother in the 90’s and he gave it back to me (scope swap) last year. I need to send it in for service.

Their scope hold up under long use (they have for me) and the warranty and warranty service is outstanding.

Yes sir.
Posted By: mikei

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Scrap iron
my sling swivel let loose and i dropped my rifle and dented the objective on my truck gun scope. it is a VXIII 2.5x8 leupold
its holding zero for sure i fired about 10 rounds and tapped it hard every which way which my palm and knife and it hasnt budged zero a bit it hasnt fogged up or anything.
i sure hate to send it in and be without for awhile as i use this gun 24/7/365 in my truck on the ranch and its literally an extension of my hands if you know what i mean.

wonder what they charge for that repair and if its even worth it?

Scrap Iron, this sounds like a perfect excuse to run out and buy a new rifle AND a new scope. smile NOW! TODAY? smile I mean, suppose the rifle got injured in the drop! smirk

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 03:36 PM

You're probably correct, I may have been a little hard. My biggest complaint is that they haven't keep up with the times and I believe there are now better options out there.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 03:43 PM

You may be right about keeping up with the times. All of my Leupold scopes are ‘set and forget’ and not turreted. I’ve heard some complaints about the durability of the turreted Leupolds. You can bet that Leupold is working to fix the problem and the perception. I have a couple of turreted Vortex scopes now, and I like them a lot. No problems so far. I think the glass in the Leupolds is better.

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 05:10 PM

Scrap Iron, this sounds like a perfect excuse to run out and buy a new rifle AND a new scope. smile NOW! TODAY? smile I mean, suppose the rifle got injured in the drop! smirk [/quote]

im always shopping for rifles but i dont think its possible to injure this rifle! ive tried over the years closest ive came is getting a piece of paracord with a knot wedged in the barrel trying to clear an obstruction in the field but i heated up a brass rod and melted it out

Re: dropped leupold - 12/20/17 05:11 PM

You may be right about keeping up with the times. All of my Leupold scopes are ‘set and forget’ and not turreted. I’ve heard some complaints about the durability of the turreted Leupolds. You can bet that Leupold is working to fix the problem and the perception. I have a couple of turreted Vortex scopes now, and I like them a lot. No problems so far. I think the glass in the Leupolds is better.

i set and forget all my scopes. if i cant shoot at something without tinkering with some damn knobs i got no business shooting at it
Posted By: Jon B

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 01:41 AM

I have about 15 Leupy's. I love em. To the guy who said he buys better scopes....not everyone is country club material. Some of us like seeing made in America on the things we cherish.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 01:49 AM

Leupold is awesome.
My daughter's 243 fell from the blind 15ft and landed on her VX2 6-18, it broke into two pieces and parts were all over. We gathered them up and sent then to Leupold to see if repair was cheaper than a new scope. Two weeks later we got a brand new scope in the mail, no charge.

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Jon B
I have about 15 Leupy's. I love em. To the guy who said he buys better scopes....not everyone is country club material. Some of us like seeing made in America on the things we cherish.

You have 15 of them. So why not sell a few and buy a better scope. Call me country club if you want but I don’t have 15 scopes. And I think Leupold makes a solid scope but I don’t really think they’ve kept up with the competition.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaner

You have 15 of them. So why not sell a few and buy a better scope. Call me country club if you want but I don’t have 15 scopes. And I think Leupold makes a solid scope but I don’t really think they’ve kept up with the competition.

Because then he’s have several rifles that don’t have scopes?
Posted By: VAFish

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 08:07 PM

So you have one really expensive scope you move around to fifteen different rifles?

Although, I do have to say that someone with 15 rifles with 15 Leopold scopes on them is pretty country club compared to me.

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: VAFish

So you have one really expensive scope you move around to fifteen different rifles?

Although, I do have to say that someone with 15 rifles with 15 Leopold scopes on them is pretty country club compared to me.

I don’t have 15 rifles.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 08:54 PM

Leupold is high end blue collar. Good glass and durable. I too own several. I have a few scopes with exposed turrets but I don't hunt with them.
Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: dropped leupold - 12/21/17 09:05 PM

customer service on Leupold is second to none in my experience. I have owned some more expensive scopes, but can't see enough difference to justify the extra cost. Mostly run leupold now...
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: dropped leupold - 12/22/17 01:54 AM

I mailed a 25 year old Leupold scope in for repairs once, they mailed me a brand new upgraded model. up
Posted By: jimmyboy

Re: dropped leupold - 12/22/17 04:35 PM

Leupold has always been good to me, plus I am happy with their optics. Several years ago I had set my 22-250 with a Leupold Vari X II 4x12x40 AO scope in an open hard case. I set the case on the front of my four wheeler. A strong gust of wind blew the case off and onto the ground. The scope bell was completely broken from the tube of the scope. I mailed the scope to Leupold explaining what had happened and that this was not a warranty issue but I just wanted to have my scope repaired if possible. Several weeks later I received a new Vari X II 4x12x40 AO scope (no charge). Last summer I purchased an older Browning BAR Belgium made at a garage sale. The rifle has a Vari X III 3.5x10x40 AO. For grins I hunted with it opening day and shot a nice buck. The next morning I looked thru the scope and it has fogged up. I sent the scope to Leupold and was notified the scope is not repairable and that model is no longer made. Leupold said they would replace the scope with a newer 4x14x40 AO model. At almost 70 years old now I can't tell you how many times I have called upon Leupold for repairs or advise and have always been treated more than fair. Yes I am a Leupold customer for life.

James
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: dropped leupold - 12/22/17 05:03 PM

If you buy cheap Leupold glass then it's blue collar. You but something decent then it's pretty expensive. Or I'm just poor white collar.

Leupold is great. If you're the kind of person that hunts in static scenarios or prefers traditional zoom ranges (based on a $0-1000 budget for glass), it's probably the best option. If you like turrets, it definitely isn't. Here you have Vortex, Nikon, SIG, and many others. What they give up in superior glass, they make up for in versatility. I've dealt with Vortex and Nikon glass and warranty and they're pretty darn great. I'm sure Leupold has a great warranty but I don't see myself ever putting one on a rifle.

Have had problems with my uncle's Rifleman and a club member's VX2. The vx2's windage knob didn't work. Like at all. And the rifle had never seen a day in the field.

OP, I would leave the rifle and scope as they are until the zero shifts
Posted By: killen

Re: dropped leupold - 12/22/17 05:14 PM

older leupold are great newer mark 4 and the competition are trash sent 11 back 3 times each in one year and sold all of them still have several older ones glass is great holds zero good and great service
Posted By: maximum

Re: dropped leupold - 12/22/17 06:39 PM

the average $250-$300.00 leupold scope is more than adequate for
the average shooters ability ( most all the shooters i've ever seen anyway)

i've seen maybe 10 or 12 that were exceptional marksmen that could utilize
a $1000.00 + scope and maybe get their money's worth out of it.
all of them got their shooting abilities from repetitive shooting practice.
maybe one ex-military i've seen was just a born marksman and could consistantly
hit long range bullseyes all day long from most any shooting position.

i've only had to send 1 M84X handgun scope back. it was used and i had it
on my .444 contender. the reticle came loose inside. they fixed it right
away and had it back inside of 2 weeks. that's been maybe 20 years + - ago.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum