Texas Hunting Forum

MOA vs. MIL

Posted By: Sneaky

MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 05:29 AM

Which do you prefer, and why?

Or, do you prefer something else, like IPHY?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 05:51 AM

Both are angular measurements. Pick one and go.

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Both are angular measurements. Pick one and go.

That’s pretty much how I feel about it, but I know some people are particular about it. I’d like to know why. Who knows, I might learn something.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 11:38 AM

RR is right that either is fine. But it's hard to dispute that mils are easier to work with. The short explanation why is that the numbers you end up with are easier to remember and easier to do quick calculations with (when you're trying to account for changing wind speeds, for instance).

Let's say you know you need 3 1/4 MOA correction for a 10 mph wind at a given distance. You estimate it at 17-18 mph, so you need to multiply 3 1/4 MOA times 1.75. I could probably eventually figure out it's about 5 and a half, but even then I'm a little off.

For that same 3 1/4 MOA, my wind correction in mils would be .9 mils. Take .9mils and multiply times 1.75. Easy - 1.6. Bullet is gone beore the wind changes again.

Also, it just so happens that elevation corrections for many of the common calibers fall within nice, easy-to-remember values when you're using mils. See firemanjg's 0-.5-1-2-3 post for a bit more info on it.
Posted By: dee

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 12:07 PM

I've ran both and they are equally as easy for me. Seeing how I've been shooting prs a lot these days mil is easier since everyone around you is speaking the same language.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 03:04 PM

I prefer BDC. It’s really a nice platform.

That’s a joke!
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 03:09 PM

A matter of comfort and familiarity. If you shoot alone there is no difference in what you use, but dee's point of speaking the language can make things easier in a group/partner setting.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 03:29 PM

Mil....more intuitive for me and even a caveman can run numbers in 10's or tenths.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 03:34 PM

http://www.precisionriflehunters.com/blog/

Scroll down. You will find Mil versus MOA.
Posted By: gusick

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 04:11 PM

Mils for the reticle, MOA for the turret. I have a hard time seeing a MOA reticle because the marks are too close togather.

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick
Mils for the reticle, MOA for the turret.

barf

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

barf

That’s something I can’t believe people do.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

barf

Leupold should be throat punched for that.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/03/17 11:42 PM

I think I'd prefer MOA all the way around if I was going to twist turrets, but I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to mix MOA and Mils between the reticle and turrets. Makes NO sense.

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/04/17 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

barf

Leupold should be throat punched for that.

Trijicon too.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/04/17 04:13 AM

barf

I just saved my friend from that mistake. He bought a SWFA 10X with mildot reticle and MOA turrets on Black Friday close out. I told him to call them back and choose mil/mil or moa/moa. He did, they were cool and switched it out to mil/mil. He caught them before it shipped. Some people just see cool dots and twisty knobs and think they are all the same.
Posted By: Crews

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/04/17 12:38 PM

I am self-taught on MOA, easy to understand because we think in terms of inches and yards. The one or two hunting buddies I have that dial elevation think in terms of MOA, so it's nice to be able to talk in those terms with them.

Swithced over to Mils late last year, and I like it better. Once you realize the subtensions on a FFP scope are a ruler and that's all you really need, it doesn't matter if you think in terms of centimeters and meters or not. The dope is smaller numbers, and easier to remember. And working in increments of 10 as opposed to fractions is a WHOLE lot easier for me.

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/04/17 02:26 PM

Each one is a portion of a degree. Neither one has anything to do with inches, feet, yards, meters, centimeters.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/04/17 05:15 PM

If it's a new shooter learning how to dial, the answer is MILS, 100%. It is for sure the easier to understand. I taught my son in about 2 hours, and we were banging steel out to 600 yards with ease. Most hunters are pre-disposed to moa turrets in their hunting scopes, and have the idea that 1 moa = 1 inch at 100 yards (it's close, but not exact), and they tend to "think" in inches. Once hunters are pre-disposed to this, they have a hard time changing.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: MOA vs. MIL - 12/04/17 07:35 PM

I might switch to MIL from MOA some day but with as much math background as I have fractions do not scare me farmer Have one MIL scope now and it is ok, just have to remember which system I am using.

On the MIL/MOA scopes, has a Leupold rep trying to sell me a mixed scope at a good price and ust flat told him I would not buy a scope with mixed turret and reticle system in it. Also told him he needed to learn a bit more about their products since I heard him tell someone the windage adjust Leupold rings/mounts are the most rugged scope mounts available. bang

Next time I saw a Leupold rep at that location it was a guy that said the previous one was no longer with the company
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum