Texas Hunting Forum

What Happened To My Scope Rings?

Posted By: LFD2037

What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 05:58 PM

I have a Remmy 700 w/a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 mounted w/ Talley Tactical 34mm rings & 20moa rail. I haven't handled the gun in about 2 months. Last night I pulled it out of the safe & damn scope was in an odd location. When I tilted the gun the scope slid thru the rings! The scope is sliding thru the rings like they were never tightened. I torqued them to Burris' specs (I believe 22 in/lb) w/a Wheeler Fat Wrench. What could have happened?
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 06:50 PM

Idk but I'll be watching this closely as I have same scope and rings eek2
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 07:11 PM

Gunsafe gremlins, no doubt!

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 07:13 PM

Contacted Talley via email & they responded quickly. They want to assess the rings & screws so they're sending me a new set w/a return label. I checked the screws w/torque wrench set @ ~22 in/lbs & they turn relatively easy. I can only assume the screws stretched???
Posted By: patriot07

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 07:43 PM

Maybe your torque wrench is off?

I use blue loc-tite on my rings. Helps to avoid issues like this.
Posted By: maximum

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
. . .I use blue loc-tite on my rings. Helps to avoid issues like this.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

i loc-tite all screws, bases, and rings.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: maximum
. . .I use blue loc-tite on my rings. Helps to avoid issues like this.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

i loc-tite all screws, bases, and rings.

+1 Always.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 08:09 PM

I used blue loctite on all screws/bolts.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/27/17 11:12 PM

Well then \/\/

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Gunsafe gremlins, no doubt!

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 02:15 AM

Uuhhh...what's \/\/ ??? ( I have a feeling I'm about to feel really dumb. Again.)
Posted By: TCB

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 02:39 AM

Inverted ^^ is my guess

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: TCB
Inverted ^^ is my guess

Indeed.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 02:47 AM

No, they are supposed to be pointing down at the quote from myself...JG's responding to "I used blue loctite on all screws/bolts" with "well then, gunsafe gremlins."

And that must be the case. Those little bastards will pee on guns making them rust, rattle 'em around so they get dinged up stocks, and all manner of meanness. I've always suspected it, but this is the first time I've heard of them actually using tools.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 02:49 AM

^^Does not exist 180° out, on my phone

So I improvised...
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
^^Does not exist 180° out, on my phone

So I improvised...

That is funny. Always finds a way clap

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/28/17 02:02 PM

Always.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:42 AM

***Update***
Found the issue. When I went to remove the scope, both rings were busted in half! Appears to be a design flaw. The rail mount pushes into the ring area.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:43 AM

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:48 AM

Some other rifle slammed into it.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:53 AM

Some other rifle slammed into it.

Nope. Not possible. Each one has its own holder. And if this was billet, like they claim, it would've bent not broke. I believe it to be cast aluminum!

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:55 AM

The set that I have got used, really used, and I never a problem. I wonder what happened here.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:57 AM

I have no idea!!! I've babied the crap out of this rig. ZERO abuse. Were yours coated like mine?

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:59 AM

Yes

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 01:05 AM

If you look where the rail mounting 'bracket' pushes against the bottom of the ring (right where it broke) it appears that part pushes into the ring (right where it broke). I believe this should be milled w/a greater tolerance. It appears there's zero tolerance.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 01:25 AM

How can they get greater tolerance from zero tolerance?

Now everybody gets to watch two firemen
duel

grin

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 01:39 AM

duel

grin

roflmao
Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly! The rail mount interferes/contacts w/the ring when tightened, so I guess that'd be a negative tolerance!

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 01:41 AM

That looks like just about the right place for a stress crack to form, if it's going to happen.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037

duel

grin

roflmao
Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly! The rail mount interferes/contacts w/the ring when tightened, so I guess that'd be a negative tolerance!

Also known as "needs a little slack". In this case a gap.

I know good and well what you meant, but I treated you like we were at the table in the kitchen.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 01:55 AM

duel

grin

roflmao

Also known as "needs a little slack". In this case a gap.

I know good and well what you meant, but I treated you like we were at the table in the kitchen.

up

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 02:53 AM

LFD, how tight did you have the nuts holding rings to base? Just curious since they both broke in the same spot.... Makes me wonder about mine since I have the same scope and rings but I went with black rings.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1
LFD, how tight did you have the nuts holding rings to base? Just curious since they both broke in the same spot.... Makes me wonder about mine since I have the same scope and rings but I went with black rings.

They told me 55-65 in/lbs so I did them @ 60 in/lbs.

I just discovered Loctite has a limited lifetime researching all of this. No way that's why this broke but just food for thought:
"What is the Henkel shelf life policy for Loctite® products?
The shelf life period for Loctite® products is one year from
date of shipment from Henkel facilities or as indicated by
package labeling. For optimal storage, m
aintain product at a
temperature between 8°C (46°F) to 21°C (70°F). Storage
below 8°C (46°F) or greater than 28°C (82°F) can adversely
affect product properties."

My loctite was ~10 years old & stored in my garage toolbox in the Texas heat/cold. I bought a new bottle & it will stay inside w/my gun tools.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

They told me 55-65 in/lbs so I did them @ 60 in/lbs.

up
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 12:40 PM

Lessons earned are lessons learned. Would not go back with aluminum rings, regardless of how popular they are. Everyone is different, but I wouldn't be wasting time trying to determine why they broke. I would get steel rings and move on.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 02:58 PM

Well, Loctite isn't going to fix that one. Glad you figured out what it was. That's wild.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Lessons earned are lessons learned. Would not go back with aluminum rings, regardless of how popular they are. Everyone is different, but I wouldn't be wasting time trying to determine why they broke. I would get steel rings and move on.

My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 11/29/17 08:24 PM

From the pics, those rings look cast. Can you tell if they are CNC’d or cast?

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaner
From the pics, those rings look cast. Can you tell if they are CNC’d or cast?

From the way they broke, & look like tiny flakes, I say cast. I've seen cast aluminum break before & it looked just like this. I've seen many, many billet aluminum wheels hit curbs & they bend or tear w/a smooth interior. I'm very confident these are cast. I sent an email to Talley w/pics yesterday saying they are cast & haven't heard back. They WERE quick to respond. Now crickets. I'm on day 3 of 2 day shipping & haven't received new rings yet. Starting to get a bad feeling about this! I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 01:14 PM

I'm not saying they're not cast, but I've seen machined aluminum fail just like that too. Could be either one. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me to design that as a casting, but who knows....

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 04:34 PM

I'm not saying they're not cast, but I've seen machined aluminum fail just like that too. Could be either one. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me to design that as a casting, but who knows....

Fail like this from inch lbs. of torque?

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 06:15 PM

No, but that's probably not what caused this to fail either. Pre-stress combined with impact shock loads isn't good for anything.

You're probably right about it being a casting. I was just saying that I've seen some weird failure modes over the years. You see a bit of everything in the aircraft world though.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 07:17 PM

No, but that's probably not what caused this to fail either. Pre-stress combined with impact shock loads isn't good for anything.

You're probably right about it being a casting. I was just saying that I've seen some weird failure modes over the years. You see a bit of everything in the aircraft world though.

I know, w/out a shadow of a doubt, this gun has never been even bumped, much less subjected to any serious impact. The worse thing that's ever happened to it is being shot. That is the most powerful use/abuse this gun has seen.
Talley is still crickets.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 07:27 PM

I know, w/out a shadow of a doubt, this gun has never been even bumped, much less subjected to any serious impact. The worse thing that's ever happened to it is being shot. That is the most powerful use/abuse this gun has seen.
Talley is still crickets.
When I said impact/shock, I meant from firing the rifle.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/01/17 07:38 PM

up

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/04/17 04:25 PM

It's been 7 days now since they said they were mailing me rings & since they replied to my last email. Not feeling too good about their CS now!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/04/17 07:17 PM

reply all to that email for a follow up and include links to this thread.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/04/17 07:49 PM

It's been 7 days now since they said they were mailing me rings & since they replied to my last email. Not feeling too good about their CS now!

It's peak shipping season, if they are mailing them to you expect it to take awhile.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/04/17 08:14 PM

These appear to be cast, then finished on a mill. Since these are cast, then milled, it is not likely that these were batch controlled. This seems to rule out a material issue. The only common thing in the failure of both components is the torque setting. 55-65 seems like a lot of pressure for that thread engagement for cast aluminum. Look at the Ø of the fastener. Makes me wonder if they knew the exact model when they gave you that torque setting?

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/04/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
55-65 seems like a lot of pressure for that thread engagement for cast aluminum. Look at the Ø of the fastener. Makes me wonder if they knew the exact model when they gave you that torque setting?

The majority of the ring makers do 65 in. lbs. torque for rings to rail hardware on heavy duty "tactical" style rings.
Badger: 65 in/lb Nightforce: 68in/lb Seekins: 55in/lb Leupold Mark IV: 65in/lb Warne Tactical: 65in/lb
Burris Xtreme: 65-100in/lb Talley Tactical: 65in/lb
They replied back saying the person who I was dealing with didn't know the rings were still in metal finishing. Now they're overnighting me a black set until the FDE are available then sending me a set of those. They still didn't answer any questions I asked.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
55-65 seems like a lot of pressure for that thread engagement for cast aluminum. Look at the Ø of the fastener. Makes me wonder if they knew the exact model when they gave you that torque setting?

The majority of the ring makers do 65 in. lbs. torque for rings to rail hardware on heavy duty "tactical" style rings.
Badger: 65 in/lb Nightforce: 68in/lb Seekins: 55in/lb Leupold Mark IV: 65in/lb Warne Tactical: 65in/lb
Burris Xtreme: 65-100in/lb Talley Tactical: 65in/lb
They replied back saying the person who I was dealing with didn't know the rings were still in metal finishing. Now they're overnighting me a black set until the FDE are available then sending me a set of those. They still didn't answer any questions I asked.
Those mentioned are steel, right? I have the Warnes, and the Leupold. Knowing that steel has a much higher compressive strength than cast aluminum, I'm wondering why they give the same torque setting for cast aluminum as steel. Somebody there may have messed up when they put their technical data together.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 03:44 AM

I know the Seekins, Burris XTR & Talley are aluminum. I believe the others are steel.
Talley claims these are billet. From Talley:
"Heavy-duty scope rings are precision-machined from solid billet aluminum with dual recoil lugs to ensure your tactical scope won’t budge under the heaviest recoil. Full-width ring caps are cut from the same billet as the bottom half of the ring for precise fit and held in place with four stainless steel Allen head screws that won’t work loose when properly tightened."

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 04:22 AM

I know the Seekins, Burris XTR & Talley are aluminum. I believe the others are steel.
"Heavy-duty scope rings are precision-machined from solid billet aluminum with dual recoil lugs to ensure your tactical scope won’t budge under the heaviest recoil. Full-width ring caps are cut from the same billet as the bottom half of the ring for precise fit and held in place with four stainless steel Allen head screws that won’t work loose when properly tightened."

Your rings were made on a Friday.

F-it, use cast.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 10:59 AM

"Heavy-duty scope rings are precision-machined from solid billet aluminum with dual recoil lugs to ensure your tactical scope won’t budge under the heaviest recoil. Full-width ring caps are cut from the same billet as the bottom half of the ring for precise fit and held in place with four stainless steel Allen head screws that won’t work loose when properly tightened." Something ain't right about the information they put out. Cutting them from the same billet wouldn't have anything to do strength, as the compressive strength of any grade of aluminum wouldn't vary from billet to billet. If these are true Ø's and made as a single piece and then split, that may contribute to the fit, but then they would be made as oval to allow for the kerf when cut. Also, using a stainless steel fastener, in cast aluminum gives a mismatch on the strength characteristic; the fastener can handle a > torque. I've never bought these, but would have. I may have missed it, but have we not agreed that these are cast, but sold as machined from billet stock?

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 11:58 AM

I do agree they're cast yet sold as billet!

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 12:54 PM

55-65 in-lbs is a fair bit when talking about aluminum threads. I've stripped aluminum threads when tightening down a valve cover with about that much torque.

At least they're sending you a pair of black ones for now.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 01:52 PM

55-65 in-lbs is a fair bit when talking about aluminum threads. I've stripped aluminum threads when tightening down a valve cover with about that much torque.

At least they're sending you a pair of black ones for now.

I'm just doing what they told me. If they sai less than I'd do it less. I sent them the model of my rings and rail and they replied with:
"25inlbs in the gun
20inlbs on caps screw and 65inlbs on nut
Thanks"

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/05/17 02:16 PM

My point was that I'm surprised they had you torque it that much.

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/06/17 03:13 PM

I removed the rail, cleaned all bolts to remove any oil and reinstalled everything w/new Loctite 242. I torqued everything to Talley's spec's again, except I did ring to rail nuts to 60 instead of their recommended 65 in./lbs. I'll give it 72+ hrs. to set up then take this rig out and see if the scope still functions properly. I'll post back with my findings and what Talley says about the broken FDE ones I'm sending back to them.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/16/17 12:54 AM

!

Re: What Happened To My Scope Rings? - 12/16/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
!

I worked 99 hours in the last 5 days so I've been too busy to go shoot. I will this week. Talley hasn't told me anything yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum