Texas Hunting Forum

Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold)

Posted By: Warrior Poet

Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/06/17 05:20 PM

Anyone have any input on these comparisons?

Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42 vs. Vortex Viper HD 10x42

Then, I'm also considering a slight step up from these binos and comparing:

Maven B1 10x42 vs Vortex Razor 10x42

Needing some advice. Should I go the higher tier optic or the notch below. And what brand/model?
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/06/17 05:22 PM

Out of those I would go Vortex and not saying that because it is Vortex brand name. However I felt the optical quality between the two was close. However the Razors had a better edge to edge clarity.

I have heard good things about Maven, but they are custom made binoculars. They are not something I have spent any time with.

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/06/17 05:22 PM

And for info: most of my glassing is in low light conditions. The distances vary as I could be bow hunting or I could be hunting Elk at 500 yards.

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/06/17 05:23 PM

I'm looking hard at the Razor. It just looks and feels like a really good optic.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/06/17 06:55 PM

I used the Vipers (8x) for several years and I still have them. I have had issues seeing animals that Swaros showed plain as day so I upgraded last fall. I did look at the Razors and Swaro SLC; both in 10x. There is a big step up in quality with the Razors over the Vipers. I went with the SLCs since 1) they handily beat the Razor in image quality at longer distances and 2) they were $200 off and the Razors were full price.

With all of that said, from your list I would seriously consider the Razors if your eyes like them. They were a good deal at their former higher price and now they are a great deal at their new lower price.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/07/17 01:42 AM

I've got the viper HD 10x42 and love them...but have never looked through the Razor or anything similar.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/07/17 02:00 AM

FWIW I have the Vortex Talon, very good bino, 10X42, might be a little heavy for walking hunters, great in a deer blind
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/07/17 03:08 PM

I think you should take a hard look at the Tract Toric as well. I had mine along side my SLC HD, Razor HD, Meopta Meostar HD, Gold Ring HD, and my buddy's Conquest HD, on tripods. The SLC HD was ever so slightly better than the Toric, but you'd have to have the side by side to see it. I found the Toric easily on par with the Meostar and Razor HD, and superior to the GR HD and Conquest HD. All of this at a far superior price, around $650. I feel they are the best bino available under $1500. All of this IMO of course.

IMHO there's always something better than a vortex at the same or less price.
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/08/17 10:28 PM

I have had the Vortex Viper HD 8X42 for a year now and they are great.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/10/17 04:18 AM

I haven't had the Leopold pro guides but I had the older Majave binoculars. I think the pro guides are just the new and improved version. I used them for about six years and loved them until someone let me borrow some Vortex Razors two or three years ago. The Razors are a definite step up and I wasn't happy with the Leopolds anymore. I haven't ever used the Vortex Talons.

I had the chance to try out some Maven 11X45 s a few months ago. They are pretty darn good. The optical clarity is on par with the Razors but they are not as light weight or compact. They have a different type of prism than the Razors that doesn't allow for as compact of a size but it does have a higher light transmission. What I like about the Mavens is that they hardly have any plastic parts, which is probably why they weigh more.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/10/17 04:49 AM

In general, I think Vortex binocs are very good for their price range. I have some diamondbacks that I really like. I've seen some of the upper models as well and they're great compared to similarly-priced units.
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/10/17 10:55 AM

I’ve got several different models of vortex and leupold . I don’t dislike the leupold, but always felt like I got more for my money with the vortex. And that’s through the entire price range .
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/11/17 11:19 PM

Maven over Vortex. Unless you are an ultralight purest.
Posted By: Busheler

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/11/17 11:26 PM

Used wares of repute,reliably thrash a NIB POS.

Hint............
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/14/17 11:18 PM

A few years back I went to Cabelas with the intent purchase whatever Vortex model that had been recommended on the forum and I ended up liking a pair of Leupold Bx2 10x42 better and getting them instead.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/15/17 03:05 PM

Khales...... and done! 10x42
Posted By: Spooks

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/18/17 08:16 PM

Vortex Diamondbacks in a 10x. Their perfect for everything from hunting to sporting.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Trying to decide between these binos (Vortex, Maven, Leupold) - 11/19/17 01:58 PM

The best bino for under 1000.00 is the Leica Trinovid 10x42.
This is the exact same Nino as was sold for 1999.00 for many years.
Leica decided to lower price and offer a great optic to the crowd that can't spend 2500.00 on a pair of bionoclars.
Do yourself a favor and check these out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum