Texas Hunting Forum

Helion vs Quantum brightness

Posted By: wiiawiwb

Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/16/17 11:47 PM

I've been reading that the white status bar at the bottom right and the record icon on the top left are bright and distracting. I've also read, and would like to confirm, that the brightness of those two objects can not be adjusted with the Helions but can with the Quantums. Apparently in older Pulsar units the status bar was blue rather than white and was less of an issue. It is now white.

It would be nice to have an option to switch to a full screen with no distracting objects on it. This may sway my decision to a Quantum if true.

Does anyone know if the status bar and record icons can be have their brightness reduced with the Helions and Quantum models?
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/18/17 03:05 PM

The brightness on both adjusts the whole screen. I don't find the helion to be distractingly bright.
Posted By: deereguy

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/18/17 05:41 PM

I haven't noticed it either.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/19/17 03:04 AM

I've been reading where some people are really put off by the brightness of the status bar in particular on the new Helions. These are the type of nuances I'd like to know in advance before buying particularly due to the lofty price point we're talking about for thermal equipment.

It just seems so easy for any manufacturer to have a setting that can be turned on so no objects appear on the screen and you can simply focus on the activity on screen without distracton.
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/19/17 04:40 AM

Where did you read people were put of by the “brightness of status bar”? Ive literally heard zero people complain about that. You can rent just about all of it now. If you’re worried about buying wrong gear, rent them both and see what you like better. I’ve had both. Helion wins hands down. But that’s my opinion

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/19/17 11:51 AM

On this thread at nightvisionforumuk.com

Pulsar Helion XQ38F

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/19/17 12:30 PM

Well I stand corrected. All I can say is it’s never bothered me . If you’re anywhere near college station, your welcome to take a look at mine. But don’t have the quantum anymore so can’t do side by side comp
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/19/17 03:50 PM

Paralysis Analysis

If your distracted by a status bar then cognitively you're not focused on the hunt.

Get on with it and spend that money - the image of either unit will be the primary function

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/20/17 12:08 AM

I would beg to differ. There is not one thing in your post above that I agree with. I've had no opportunity to use any night vision equipment and there are no places within a 4-5 hour drive that carry any. Renting, while an option, is an expensive one. $160/day are the rates I've seen. To quote a famous saying, "I don't know what I don't know." I'm trying to narrow that knowledge gap.

It wouldn't be any different than you buying a high-end rifle without ever having seen or used any firearm in your life. Your very first firearm that you'll drop $2,500+. I suspect in that case, you'd err on the side of caution to be sure you've made a well-informed decision before parting with your hard-earned money.

In the alternative, maybe you're comfortable making a decision, not having gathered all of the facts, moving forward, and living with that decision. That's fine for you and I would have no problem with it. That isn't how I do things and you should be fine with that as well.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/20/17 01:01 AM

you can't learn everything via the Internet

Risk versus Reward

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/20/17 02:42 AM

You are absolutely right. I'm just trying to give myself the best odds I can.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/20/17 03:03 AM

Odds are the status bar on the Pulsar isn't going to distract you
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/22/17 04:44 AM

The quantum lite is a lot less expensive. Might risk it on that one if you're concerned about the helion. I'd be willing to bet you won't be distracted by anything in any of the pulsar units.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/22/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Paralysis Analysis

If your distracted by a status bar then cognitively you're not focused on the hunt.

Get on with it and spend that money - the image of either unit will be the primary function

Sorry, but I agree with the Popper... you want to see at night, spend what you can afford. You'll be richly rewarded.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/23/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: wiiawiwb
You are absolutely right. I'm just trying to give myself the best odds I can.

You are getting advice from people that have alot of experience with thermal and you dismiss them because they don't agree with you?

You have to pay to play in the thermal game. Any of us could nit pic because of the overall cost. It sounds to me like you would be better off to wait a few more years until the price point gets much lower. up

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/24/17 11:22 PM

Huh? I posted here because I do value the opinions and experience of those on this forum. Where is heaven's name do you think I am dismissing anyone's opinion.

I think we can all agree that the cost of any thermal unit involves a substantial sum of money. Perhaps for some, the most expensive unit is a nominal sum written from petty cash while for others the least expensive must be planned for and saved in order to buy. In either event, I dismiss no one's advice and am thankful for every response.

In the end, it's my wallet that must bear the cost and weight the benefit. With all due respect, I don't appreciate the insulting tenor of your post.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/24/17 11:41 PM

Huh? I posted here because I do value the opinions and experience of those on this forum. Where is heaven's name do you think I am dismissing anyone's opinion.

I think we can all agree that the cost of any thermal unit involves a substantial sum of money. Perhaps for some, the most expensive unit is a nominal sum written from petty cash while for others the least expensive must be planned for and saved in order to buy. In either event, I dismiss no one's advice and am thankful for every response.

In the end, it's my wallet that must bear the cost and weight the benefit. With all due respect, I don't appreciate the insulting tenor of your post.

Here is where:

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Paralysis Analysis

I would beg to differ. There is not one thing in your post above that I agree with. I've had no opportunity to use any night vision equipment and there are no places within a 4-5 hour drive that carry any. Renting, while an option, is an expensive one. $160/day are the rates I've seen. To quote a famous saying, "I don't know what I don't know." I'm trying to narrow that knowledge gap.

It wouldn't be any different than you buying a high-end rifle without ever having seen or used any firearm in your life. Your very first firearm that you'll drop $2,500+. I suspect in that case, you'd err on the side of caution to be sure you've made a well-informed decision before parting with your hard-earned money.

In the alternative, maybe you're comfortable making a decision, not having gathered all of the facts, moving forward, and living with that decision. That's fine for you and I would have no problem with it. That isn't how I do things and you should be fine with that as well.

You asked if the status bar bothered users on this forum and they answered NO. And you should be fine with that......quoting you.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/24/17 11:58 PM

No payments No interest for 18 months - this is the pathway to your thermal

Buy it - use it a few times if the status bar annoys you sell it off and consider it a rental trial demo fee to yourself.

I agree renting for 200 bucks for a weekend is steep

But owning and not making interest payments and reselling for 450 less after a year of use is a no brainer......

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 01:20 AM

Quote:
You asked if the status bar bothered users on this forum and they answered NO. And you should be fine with that......quoting you.

If you remember the full conversation, someone asked where I had heard that others had problems with the brightness. I promptly posted a link to a thread on a forum about Pulsar thermal imagers. It showed a number of people voicing their displeasure.

He replied something to the effect that he stood corrected, meaning he could see for himself others do have a problem with it. I don't have the luxury of being able to see a Pulsar unit and was curious why the brightness bothered some people and not others. If that line of questioning revealed some insights, it might aid in my decision.

I don't understand why you've got a bee in your bonnet about this. You are free to ignore this thread but kindly don't lecture me.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 01:34 AM

Because it's a super strange question to begin with.....

Stranger Danger !

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 02:11 AM

Interesting isn't it how fast you came running to a "super strange question" just like a coyote to a call?

p.s. Pig Popper, here is yet another complaint about the brightness issue and hopes for a firmware update to correct it. Not so strange after all...

Pulsar Helion brighness

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 03:33 AM

Stranger and stranger.... you're talking to a bunch of folks who have used this stuff for a while and as we try to make the point about that being the last thing you should worry about, you keep pointing to guys in the UK? Maybe their eyes are more light sensitive or something, eating that Black Pudding will do it to you.

I had an XD, I have an XQ, I couldn't tell you what's on the status bar other than the battery level, much less have an opinion on whether or not it's too bright. Go buy a Thor, then you'll have something to complain about.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 03:39 AM

Quote:

If you remember the full conversation, someone asked where I had heard that others had problems with the brightness. I promptly posted a link to a thread on a forum about Pulsar thermal imagers. It showed a number of people voicing their displeasure.

He replied something to the effect that he stood corrected, meaning he could see for himself others do have a problem with it. I don't have the luxury of being able to see a Pulsar unit and was curious why the brightness bothered some people and not others. If that line of questioning revealed some insights, it might aid in my decision.

I don't understand why you've got a bee in your bonnet about this. You are free to ignore this thread but kindly don't lecture me.

He said he stood corrected on it being a complaint from others but the one he uses doesn't bother him and offered to let you try his before you buy which would put an end to your strange thread so why not take him up on his offer?

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 09:39 AM

This is strange thread, but in all fairness to the guy, all of the advertising done for this stuff now can get pretty confusing. Lots of video editing, cherry picking perfect condition nights ect...... lots of info out there, but hard to tell who’s getting paid/compensated for their “review”.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 09:43 AM

Assume he is a guy, if he is actually a she, then ma’am I apologize. Don’t want to offend anybody in today’s sensitive world............

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 11:25 AM

I hope that firmware update gets here soon so that you can update your monocular and see the difference for yourself...

Oh wait what about the plastic buttons , they're kind of spongy...

Darn another dilemma ...

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
[quote=wiiawiwb][quote]
He said he stood corrected on it being a complaint from others but the one he uses doesn't bother him and offered to let you try his before you buy which would put an end to your strange thread so why not take him up on his offer?

It was a very generous, kind, and thoughtful offer to let me try his thermal and something I really appreciate. If I lived within driving distance, I would have been pleased to take that opportunity to see his thermal and shake his hand. I live no where close so it simply is not an option I could avail myself of.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
you keep pointing to guys in the UK? Maybe their eyes are more light sensitive or something, eating that Black Pudding will do it to you.

Wow, black pudding huh? That comment is more far more instructive than anything else in this thread.

I wouldn't belittle the UK forum. You're shooting at what is hopefully a massive 300 lb hog while they're shooting at a little 20lb fox. There is a lot to be learned about thermals from a deep pool of experience and knowledge here on this forum as well as the UK forum. I can learn from both.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 12:34 PM

On separate note, is hunting in UK done all on private land? Or do they have WMA, or similar public ground available? Guessing the original queastion came from a guy that live I’ve there if he’s referring to uk night vision forum. Never heard of it until he pointed it out. Just curious is all.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 12:34 PM

Meant to type lives over there. Sorry fat fingers on phone keyboard.....

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 01:13 PM

Your evolution into thermal will be much easier I.e. Less discomfort for you if you will but just do the following:

1) Get out of your own head for just a second, stand up and do 50 jumping jacks , then breath in deeply 3 times , smell that... That's the built up energy that your body is holding back that should be put to use for something constructive such as hiking into deep forest under heavy canopy with your trusty thermal device with recorder!
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6889714/Which_Thermal_Unit#Post6889714

2) Understand that you can only learn so much and go so far through reading alone, the UK boys like to tinker with "kit" and usually get the first hands on experiences with Pulsar NV (Yukon) and have some cool IR lights so yes they offer additional informational goodness for your mental stew. BUT like any other instance in life, when you find that you know all there is to know about something it is time to do #1 above and put that knowledge into action.

3) Think of one of the best moments in your life, hold it there in your crowded mind for just a second, got it !? Now take this as a joke but let it be an illustration of meaning, using thermal afield especially the first few times is close to that feeling. It's like hitting your first homerun, catching your first big fish, scoring a date with the girl who you thought wouldn't give you the time of day, etc... I assure you that a bright status bar will not diminish the feeling the first few times out.

4) Alas, the bike finally tips over, you can't seem to hit a ball as far as you used to, the fish aren't biting at your honey hole spot, and the girl dumps you . Meaning we tend to get over that first spike in happiness with thermal and start learning again based on our initial research, ACTUAL USE, and we start seeking a better more enriching experience. By doing this you have purist, technical savants, and other wishful thinkers who can nit-pick a device because it's one or two things just short of The Perfect Thermal Device.

Note: if a person who is stuck on steps 1/2 reads information from individuals who are at step 4 they might take the criticism too far and apply it as truth...

Go take a hike (literally)

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 02:16 PM

I wouldn't belittle the UK forum. You're shooting at what is hopefully a massive 300 lb hog while they're shooting at a little 20lb fox.

I'm not belittling anyone, there's really no connection to light sensitivity and Black Pudding consumption, those guys would know that. Just don't understand why we say it's nothing to wring your hands over and you keep pointing to a couple of guys over there.

The Popper highlighted your previous thread, which makes this even stranger... you're not even planning to hunt with this, just observation. Are you posting now just to debate?

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 07:18 PM

Pig Popper's remarks above are well thought out and thank you. The good news is I hike every weekend in the mountains and do a two-day backpack just about every other week, and have for a very long time.

CharlieCTx...I've nothing more to say to you after your insulting remark about black pudding. You're on ignore.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/25/17 10:49 PM

I’ll try to take picture through my helion tonight

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 12:35 AM

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 12:36 AM

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 12:36 AM

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 12:37 AM

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 12:40 AM

That’s the xq 38. Black and white hot. Pictures from the porch of pond in front, and random trees in front of the house . The status bar is noticeably brighter, but I’ve never noticed until you pointed it out .its never bothered me Hope this helps

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 02:31 AM

Thank you Midwaytmm. The brightness doesn't look like a deal killer.

Midwaytmm...you are obviously a solution-oriented person who can figure out how to go from Point A to Point B. What you did is what I needed to see. That is the hallmark of a person who makes things happen. I've seen videos on YT but have never seen what it looks like to actually look into the viewfinder of the thermal unit.

The above is really, really impressive work and I thank you for it. My hat's off to you and I can now buy without reservation.

For those of you in across the pond in Britain...carry on the hunt my good chap! Cheerio!

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 02:39 AM

Really no trouble. Just had to go outside for couple minutes I don’t know that crappy iPhone pictures are worth any awards

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 03:03 AM

Out of curiosity, what’s the price difference in pulsar here,vsogher there ? Assume shipping it here costs a good bit

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/26/17 05:26 AM

CharlieCTx...I've nothing more to say to you after your insulting remark about black pudding. You're on ignore.

You have to be female, have to be...
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/27/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
you keep pointing to guys in the UK? Maybe their eyes are more light sensitive or something, eating that Black Pudding will do it to you.

Wow, black pudding huh? That comment is more far more instructive than anything else in this thread.

I wouldn't belittle the UK forum. You're shooting at what is hopefully a massive 300 lb hog while they're shooting at a little 20lb fox. There is a lot to be learned about thermals from a deep pool of experience and knowledge here on this forum as well as the UK forum. I can learn from both.

Actually I've been there and mostly they are shooting at wild boar. Fox killing has been outlawed in a lot of the U.K.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/27/17 03:21 AM

Why is fox hunting outlawed?
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 10/28/17 04:44 PM

I use a quantum 38 on every hunt. I used a helion over the weekend and it was awesome. Didn't have an issue worth the screen brightness at all.

Re: Helion vs Quantum brightness - 11/21/17 12:53 PM

Looks like Pulsar will be doing a fix for this issue. The brightness will become adjustable.

Thanks Pulsar!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum