Texas Hunting Forum

Scopes made in Japan

Posted By: EasyMoney

Scopes made in Japan - 08/12/17 11:30 PM

I went and talked to a dealer today at the extravaganza and he told me that scopes from Japan are the better ones these days. I wasn't in a position to argue cause I simply don't know. I've been shooting leupold and vortex for a while and haven't even paid attention to where they are manufactured. Can some one shed some light on this?
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/12/17 11:52 PM

Most scope companies have their top tier scopes made in Japan. The LOW plant makes Vortex Razor, Bushnell Elite Tactical, SWFA SS and a bunch more higher-end scopes. Japanese glass quality and production methods are top notch.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 12:12 AM

Interesting. I guess I can't keep up lol I thought Germany was on top
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 12:23 AM

best optical sand
Posted By: pdugas

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 12:29 AM

A customer service rep. at Leupold told me they get their glass from Japan

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 12:39 AM

That was my next question is where leupold gets their glass from for their higher end scopes.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 12:42 AM

LOW makes some great lenses,but Schott is still the standard to go by.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: EasyMoney

If you only care about pretty glass, then yes, Germany is on top. If you want excellent glass and great mechanics and tracking, then Germany has a shtload of catching up to do.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 04:00 AM

All I want is good low light tough and tracks perfect those are usually my top 3 that I go on then I'll pick and choose

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 04:33 AM

All I want is good low light tough and tracks perfect those are usually my top 3 that I go on then I'll pick and choose

What's your budget?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 05:05 AM

Haven't nailed down a budget yet. I've got 2 pending deals but if all works out I'll be about $1000
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

If you only care about pretty glass, then yes, Germany is on top. If you want excellent glass and great mechanics and tracking, then Germany has a shtload of catching up to do.

I don't think Schmidt & Bender has much catching up to do. Tangent Theta may be the only one better and they're using German glass also. The best have German glass still

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 06:03 AM

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 06:24 AM

Back to the OP, for your budget I would look at a Burris XTR II or a Gen 2 PST. They're equal in optical quality. The Burris has a 34mm tube compared to the Gen 2 PSTs 30mm tube, so you would get more elevation travel from the Burris. I love the EBR-2C reticle in my Gen 2 PSTs, but the Burris has a really nice reticle too. The XTR comes with super nice lens covers. I paid an extra $45 for the lens caps for my Gen 2s. The zero stops on the Gen 2 PST is the best in its price range. You really can't go wrong with either. Unless you find a Tangent Theta for a grand.... hammer
Posted By: 5th gen redneck

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 06:32 PM

Zeiss has a bad azz scope made in Japan under $250.00.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-Conquest-6-24x50AO-Illuminated-Hunting-Rifle-Scope-HD-Sight-FREE-Mount-/272575484243?epid=596889640&hash=item3f76c3d153:g:7VYAAOSwN2VZUh5s

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 11:14 PM

Back to the OP, for your budget I would look at a Burris XTR II or a Gen 2 PST. They're equal in optical quality. The Burris has a 34mm tube compared to the Gen 2 PSTs 30mm tube, so you would get more elevation travel from the Burris. I love the EBR-2C reticle in my Gen 2 PSTs, but the Burris has a really nice reticle too. The XTR comes with super nice lens covers. I paid an extra $45 for the lens caps for my Gen 2s. The zero stops on the Gen 2 PST is the best in its price range. You really can't go wrong with either. Unless you find a Tangent Theta for a grand.... hammer

Haven't got to mess with a gen 2 PST yet but I bet these mentioned are the two best around your budget. I missed the $1k comment and focused on the "best" being made in Japan. For sure some good glass from there. My scope glass is Japanese best I know (Leopold Mark6 and NF NXS) and they're good but not close to "best"
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/13/17 11:37 PM

I've been looking at scopes for awhile. For the money I would look into the pst 2 and one that just caught my attention at the hunting show was the Tract optics. I was highly impressed by the new company. Not crazy about the reticle choices but the glass was fantastic in the top end. Top end had a terrible gray color though.

Their 3x9 is probably the new best $300 is scope in my opinion for a straight hunting scope in that power. Kinda like the old zeiss conquest line before they crapped out and made the terra line.
Posted By: dee

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: bphillips

I don't think Schmidt & Bender has much catching up to do. Tangent Theta may be the only one better and they're using German glass also. The best have German glass still

This x2. Top of the heap is Ziess Hendsolt followed by TT and Schmidt. The Razors are typically solid but I've seen more fail than S&B and I've shot around a fairly equal amount. The glass in the razor are very inconsistent imo but that being said they offer a huge bang for the buck.
Posted By: watchale

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 01:13 AM

If you can live with a pretty basic mildot reticle, weaver has a 6-30 that's made by LOW in Japan.
It's on sale at matchezss for $749. https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-6-30x56mm-34mm.html

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: dee

This x2. Top of the heap is Ziess Hendsolt followed by TT and Schmidt. The Razors are typically solid but I've seen more fail than S&B and I've shot around a fairly equal amount. The glass in the razor are very inconsistent imo but that being said they offer a huge bang for the buck.

I guess y'all know something the professional shooters don't know.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 01:56 AM

As long as its quality they shoot what their sponsors give them or pay them to use. Vortex sponsor a lot along with having a solid Razor gen 2. Wonder what that would look like if they all had to buy their own and money didn't matter? That's something I'd be interested in seeing numbers on

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:01 AM

As long as its quality they shoot what their sponsors give them or pay them to use. Vortex sponsor a lot along with having a solid Razor gen 2. Wonder what that would look like if they all had to buy their own and money didn't matter? That's something I'd be interested in seeing numbers on

I'm more interested to know why a shooter would leave a product if it was the best tool to help them win. Looks like a bunch of shooters have abandoned S&B in the last few years. Maybe they have some catching up to do.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:07 AM

I'm more interested to know why a shooter would leave a product if it was the best tool to help them win. Looks like a bunch of shooters have abandoned S&B in the last few years. Maybe they have some catching up to do.

No new products. Not spending sponsorship money like others.

With the scopes in that list it's splitting hairs on what's best and gets very personal. Not a wrong choice in the top 4 so go with who offers you more. Be cool to see them bring new stuff but it would be out of my $ range for sure

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:17 AM

Yet the top a majority of the top 10 current standings run german glass. Heck the mpa match that literally just ended 1-3 were german being 2 khales and a Schmidt. At the okie match I shot today there were schmidt outnumbered razor 2-1.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:30 AM

Is it because people are not wanting a 48 oz scope?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:31 AM

Yet the top a majority of the top 10 current standings run german glass. Heck the mpa match that literally just ended 1-3 were german being 2 khales and a Schmidt. At the okie match I shot today there were schmidt outnumbered razor 2-1.

Kahles are made in Austria. So there's one German manufacturer that's making a capable scope for PRS. I personally think Swarovski has the best glass in earth. With their unmatched optical quality, why aren't they dominating precision matches? I bet there's more competition shooters running scopes manufactured at the LOW plant than the entire country of Germany.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:39 AM

Money.

Why do you think Kevin Van Dam fishes a Nitro, or Rory Mcilroy plays Nike?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:42 AM

Isn't Kahles owned by Swarovski?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

Money.

Not comparable. Those guys are making millions to pimp their sponsors. Show me one PRS shooter that makes real money endorsing a scope.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:43 AM

Hell if I know. Their website doesn't indicate it. Just that every Kahles scope is made under the same roof in Austria.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:44 AM

Kahles are made in Austria. So there's one German manufacturer that's making a capable scope for PRS. I personally think Swarovski has the best glass in earth. With their unmatched optical quality, why aren't they dominating precision matches? I bet there's more competition shooters running scopes manufactured at the LOW plant than the entire country of Germany.

Close enough it doesn't matter as both are steps above anything low makes except maybe march. Schmidt priced themselves out of the game but are working their way back. Low scopes cost a good bit less so you're going to see more. Downsides are glass quality and qc. If in a heavy mirage boil the European glass stands out by leaps and bounds.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:45 AM

Hell if I know. Their website doesn't indicate it. Just that every Kahles scope is made under the same roof in Austria.

Yes they are and the khales will soon be rebranded a swaro according to the reps.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 02:53 AM

Yes they are and the khales will soon be rebranded a swaro according to the reps.

That makes me really want to look through a Kahles. I love Swaro glass.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 03:01 AM

That makes me really want to look through a Kahles. I love Swaro glass.

They aren't the same level. Each has their highs and lows.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 03:06 AM

Cabelas in Allen has a SB and a Kahles in the case. I didn't play with them long but he kahles was pretty dang good

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 03:14 AM

Money.

Not comparable. Those guys are making millions to pimp their sponsors. Show me one PRS shooter that makes real money endorsing a scope.
I'm just saying. Unless the difference is night and day, people are gonna use what's free. I know a guide who fishes the FLW Tour and uses Garmin graphs. He used to use Lowrance exclusively before he was sponsored. I can't imagine he believes the Garmin is the best. But it's free and he makes a few bucks and it's good enough to still be competitive. I would assume that's how most of the PRS shooters feel. I don't have a dog in the fight, but to believe people are making equipment decisions 100% based on the quality of the equipment is a bit naive IMHO.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 10:55 AM

There's no scope company in prs giving shooters optics. If they are sponsored there are incentives in discount below what most can pay but that's about it. Only exception would possibly be athlon but I've only ever seen one in person and it would have to be free for me to take it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 12:04 PM

most popular does not mean the best

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 12:12 PM

There's no scope company in prs giving shooters optics. If they are sponsored there are incentives in discount below what most can pay but that's about it. Only exception would possibly be athlon but I've only ever seen one in person and it would have to be free for me to take it.

I am not disagreeing with you nor trying to change topics.
But are you 100% sure of this statement or only in a 200 mile radius?
And how are you certain?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal

I am not disagreeing with you nor trying to change topics.
But are you 100% sure of this statement or only in a 200 mile radius?
And how are you certain?

Fortunate enough to shoot with some of the top sponsored shooters in the 400mile radius and they are more than willing to share intel.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 12:39 PM

The only exception could possibly team gap and their bushy elites as they are in pretty deep with them. Not sure if it would be bushy donating or gap paying for them. Only other person who might get a scope free is Shannon Kay and khales but then again he designed 2 or more of their reticles.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 03:52 PM

I was gonna bring this up too. I shoot with a PRS guy occasionally and i was surprised to find out he has to pay for his scopes. And he finished in the top 10 last season. If they're not giving free gear to the top 10, they're not giving free gear to anyone. So it's not comparable to a Bassmaster Elite pro or PGA Tour pro that have companies throwing tons of money and free gear at them. There's more incentive for a PRS shooter to use whatever they feel will help them hit targets since they're buying their own equipment.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 04:11 PM

I was gonna bring this up too. I shoot with a PRS guy occasionally and i was surprised to find out he has to pay for his scopes. And he finished in the top 10 last season. If they're not giving free gear to the top 10, they're not giving free gear to anyone. So it's not comparable to a Bassmaster Elite pro or PGA Tour pro that have companies throwing tons of money and free gear at them. There's more incentive for a PRS shooter to use whatever they feel will help them hit targets since they're buying their own equipment.
If that's true, then I agree my comparison isn't valid. I have a much better idea of how the golf and fishing sponsorships work than the shooting ones. And in golf and fishing, you use the equipment made by whoever gives you the most money.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 04:24 PM

If that's true, then I agree my comparison isn't valid. I have a much better idea of how the golf and fishing sponsorships work than the shooting ones. And in golf and fishing, you use the equipment made by whoever gives you the most money.

I know what you mean. I love Bassmaster and PGA golf too.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 04:45 PM

Know why there's so many Razors on that list?

Because the Razor guys have one on their rifle, and one in the truck as a back-up for break downs.

peep

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Know why there's so many Razors on that list?

Because the Razor guys have one on their rifle, and one in the truck as a back-up for break downs.

peep

That's why I'm gonna buy 3 more Gen 2 PSTs to keep in the truck. Im hoping 1 out of 5 will be good enough to use.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 04:53 PM

You disappoint me.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 05:08 PM

You disappoint me.

You know me better than that. Your ATACR has me looking at scopes a little different now. I think I'd rather have 1 $3k scope than 3 $1k scopes.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 05:22 PM

I'd just like one $1k scope... frown

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 05:37 PM

I started out with this one a couple years ago. It got me to 1000 yards with no problem.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 05:41 PM

You disappoint me.

You know me better than that. Your ATACR has me looking at scopes a little different now. I think I'd rather have 1 $3k scope than 3 $1k scopes.

Now you're talking.

Same as me with rifles. I don't have a stack of mediocre rifles, I've got a few really great ones. And with great scopes it is easy to run one scope per two rifles.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 05:45 PM

Then buy an SS 5-20X HD.

I've had the same one for 5 years. It's shot, or fired +/-10,000 rounds, on my rifles, and loaned out. It has never been sent in! Looks beat to hell with anodizing missing, scratches, and turret labels that are stained, and it's still working perfect
It is an old friend I call "ole reliable".

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 05:52 PM

After having high end glass and being able to cut mirage when most others can't I doubt I can go back.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 06:19 PM

After having high end glass and being able to cut mirage when most others can't I doubt I can go back.

You can't.

I use the focus knob a whole lot, to see mirage. This new ATACR has made me have to lose a habit, which is constantly adjusting focus for distance. It can be clear at 200 yards, and be clear all the way to 600, on the same setting. When I want to see mirage, I've got to great a large error on the focus knob in order to make mirage appear. Good problem to have, though.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 06:38 PM

You can't.

I use the focus knob a whole lot, to see mirage. This new ATACR has made me have to lose a habit, which is constantly adjusting focus for distance. It can be clear at 200 yards, and be clear all the way to 600, on the same setting. When I want to see mirage, I've got to great a large error on the focus knob in order to make mirage appear. Good problem to have, though.

At the entire okie match sunday I think I touched my parallax twice with targets from 300-1060.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 10:42 PM

Well with all this name dropping like s&b vortex and all the other ones how come the leupold vx5hd and vx6hd aren't listed? I guess I should've started out that this is going on a Remington 700 ss 5r 308 and I want to shoot deer as far as the caliber will allow me if needed and I want to shoot some long distance just for fun not competitively. I say $1000 cause I plan on dropping $200-300 on mounts and rings. I just like leupold but I'm not brand loyal just like the luck I've had with them and keep going back
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 10:53 PM

You can't.

At the entire okie match sunday I think I touched my parallax twice with targets from 300-1060.

Dang, somebody here actually competes ...HUMMMMMMM peep

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/14/17 11:17 PM

You can't.

That makes it really nice

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 12:31 AM

Well with all this name dropping like s&b vortex and all the other ones how come the leupold vx5hd and vx6hd aren't listed? I guess I should've started out that this is going on a Remington 700 ss 5r 308 and I want to shoot deer as far as the caliber will allow me if needed and I want to shoot some long distance just for fun not competitively. I say $1000 cause I plan on dropping $200-300 on mounts and rings. I just like leupold but I'm not brand loyal just like the luck I've had with them and keep going back

What reticle and turrets do those Leupolds have?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 12:40 AM

Turrets are the CDS ZL2 and I haven't narrowed down which reticle I'm going with on this one but I've got the windplex in a Vx3i and Had the varmint reticle

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 12:43 AM

Only MOA options. For around the same money (1700-1900) as a vx6hd you can find a Mark6 and get mil and a 34mm tube. I believe vx5hd come in under 1k but not familiar with the differences and why so much different

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 12:43 AM

Only leupy I'd entertain with long range and dialing involved would be a mk8 and that wiuld likely be a tubb reticle equipped.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 12:51 AM

If I were to do some long range competition then yes I'd be looking at the mark series but it's going on a deer hunting rifle and varmint rifle that I'd like to be able to play around for fun and shoot targets out past 500 yards

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 12:56 AM

I'd be concerned dialing with a hunting optic from a company with a sketchy at best track record.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 01:17 AM

Well I haven't done much research on how good/bad the turrets work all I can say is the 2 I've had worked good for what I did with them. My list of wants and needs don't really see eye to eye. I've really came down to I know I want something that is very good in low light situations and I want something that's simple to use and not going to be frustrating. Other than that atleast 30mm tube 50mm obj and atleast a 15x. That's really what I've narrowed it down to and I was think with the $1000 price mark the vx5hd would fit the bill. With that being said I'm not a scope guru I've had my fair share of them but I don't know the latest and greatest of what's out there

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 01:50 AM

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 01:58 AM

I posted an answer back? They have the CDS ZL2 turrets and I haven't narrowed down a reticle yet
Posted By: watchale

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 02:10 AM

Well I haven't done much research on how good/bad the turrets work all I can say is the 2 I've had worked good for what I did with them. My list of wants and needs don't really see eye to eye. I've really came down to I know I want something that is very good in low light situations and I want something that's simple to use and not going to be frustrating. Other than that atleast 30mm tube 50mm obj and atleast a 15x. That's really what I've narrowed it down to and I was think with the $1000 price mark the vx5hd would fit the bill. With that being said I'm not a scope guru I've had my fair share of them but I don't know the latest and greatest of what's out there

Nightforce SHV 5-20 second focal plane might be a good one for you or
Nightforce SHV F1 4-14 first focal plane. Both around 1k

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 11:47 AM

Chances are if you're only going to dial and shoot long range on occasion it'll be fine. Dialing and leupold don't really have a great track record.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 02:09 PM

I posted an answer back? They have the CDS ZL2 turrets and I haven't narrowed down a reticle yet

So that's Custom Dial System?
I have no idea what a ZL2 is.

To your previous question as to why Leupold isn't in the game. They're over priced, less reliable, and with worse features than the others we've talked about.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 03:54 PM

The CDS (custom dial system) is built by leupold off the gun and ammo you shoot. It's a automatic BDC basically. The zL1 allows you to make a full revolution out to 700-800 yards then it goes back to zero and locks when you get there so you know it's back to zero. The ZL2 allows you to go out to 1400-1600 yards and make two revolutions on the turret and won't lock until your back at your zero.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 04:06 PM

I've been shooting and hunting VX6's for almost 3 years now, CDS and all. I will admit I am more of a casual turret twister, but mine have been dead nuts reliable during this time, and they have the most user friendly eyebox of any variable scope on the planet, and I've gotten behind loads of different ones. Especially at higher mags.

I will say that if I spun the dials multiple times per day, I'd go the SWFA or NF route, depending on how much I wanted to spend.

I find this Jap vs German scope/glass thing entertaining to say the least. There are Schott glass facilities in China, Japan, and many other countries. They are also not the only ones who know how to make premium glass. All you have to do is peek through a Kowa Prominar or Nikon EDG spotter and see for yourself. Nikon also makes the finest camera lenses on the planet, and have for many years. To say that Euro glass is much superior to Jap glass is a huge stretch, especially nowadays.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 05:55 PM

The CDS (custom dial system) is built by leupold off the gun and ammo you shoot. It's a automatic BDC basically. The zL1 allows you to make a full revolution out to 700-800 yards then it goes back to zero and locks when you get there so you know it's back to zero. The ZL2 allows you to go out to 1400-1600 yards and make two revolutions on the turret and won't lock until your back at your zero.

I know what the CDS is. It's a dumbed down 1/4 MOA, with different labels.

Here's the trouble with it. In order to get dials perfect, MV and BC has to be exact. What chronograph did you use to report to Leupold? Is it accurate?

What BC did did you report? Did the bullet manufacturer give accurate data?

What environmental conditions did you set the turret up for? Is that the only environmental conditions you will ever shoot it? If it is not, then the dials will be wrong, beyond 500 yards, very often.

With a Mil or MOA based turret the end user can adjust as needed, based on the environmental conditions at the time of the shot.

And by the way, gravity is the easy part, wind is the trick. That's where the proper reticle comes into play, and for wind holds, Mil is far and away easier to deal with.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 05:58 PM

I just bumped a thread showing an alternative.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 06:03 PM

I got behind David Tubb kowa at a match and wasn't overly blown away. Keep in mind he runs like a fixed 27x long eye relief eye piece. Swaro spotters and slc binos best pretty much anything I've been behind. The army amu nikon image stabilization binos were pretty nice but my understanding was not overly available but I've not looked.

Rifle scopes are something completely different and the euro dominte still if you get behind them. Some jap scopes are there too but a majority aren't. I'll agree schott isn't end all be all but theres a good chance it'll be tough to find problems if in a quality product.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 06:37 PM

Here's the trouble with it. In order to get dials perfect, MV and BC has to be exact. What chronograph did you use to report to Leupold? Is it accurate?

What environmental conditions did you set the turret up for? Is that the only environmental conditions you will ever shoot it? If it is not, then the dials will be wrong, beyond 500 yards, very often.

With a Mil or MOA based turret the end user can adjust as needed, based on the environmental conditions at the time of the shot.

And by the way, gravity is the easy part, wind is the trick. That's where the proper reticle comes into play, and for wind holds, Mil is far and away easier to deal with.

You obviously have to shoot and verify before making the dial. Same goes with verifying a mil/mil setup.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 06:41 PM

I got behind David Tubb kowa at a match and wasn't overly blown away. Keep in mind he runs like a fixed 27x long eye relief eye piece. Swaro spotters and slc binos best pretty much anything I've been behind. The army amu nikon image stabilization binos were pretty nice but my understanding was not overly available but I've not looked.

Rifle scopes are something completely different and the euro dominte still if you get behind them. Some jap scopes are there too but a majority aren't. I'll agree schott isn't end all be all but theres a good chance it'll be tough to find problems if in a quality product.

Get behind a Kowa 883/884 and you will see the light.......It also depends on what you mean when you say "euro dominate still". If your talking optical quality alone, you may be right. If you're talking about absolute mechanical reliability, not so much. Nightforce (Jap) is the king.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider

You obviously have to shoot and verify before making the dial. Same goes with verifying a mil/mil setup.

How are you going to verify, when Leupold is making the dial, several states away? Let them build it, ship it, charge $100, a guy tries to verify and something is wrong. Then what, ship it back and have them make a new one?

I'm well aware of verification of Mil or MOA. And often something does not line up. That's where adjustments can be made and the end user can get dialed in perfect. I wouldn't bet on Leupold being able to do the same, especially beyond 500 yards.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 07:06 PM

So what's night force's glass in all three lines.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 07:37 PM

I'm well aware of verification of Mil or MOA. And often something does not line up. That's where adjustments can be made and the end user can get dialed in perfect. I wouldn't bet on Leupold being able to do the same, especially beyond 500 yards.

In my case, over the past 3 years, you'd be wrong.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 08:16 PM

Evidently it is my imagination that elevation needs adjustment based on environtment. I have no idea how I hit those pieces of steel out to a mile. Must have been God that willed them in.

I will watch for Leupold CDS turrets to show up in PRS. They are clearly the right way. And we have been doing it the wrong way.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Loving my ATACR. Best glass I've ever spent time behind.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 08:40 PM

Evidently it is my imagination that elevation needs adjustment based on environtment. I have no idea how I hit those pieces of steel out to a mile. Must have been God that willed them in.

I will watch for Leupold CDS turrets to show up in PRS. They are clearly the right way. And we have been doing it the wrong way.

CDS are hunting scopes. They also will make a straight MOA turret instead of load specific if you want

That said I wanted mil so with a Mark6 with low profile turrets now that most of their tracking bugs have been worked through.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 08:56 PM

Hunting scopes, competition scopes, doesn't matter. Distance is distance.

In fact, keeping a bullet in the vitals of anything smaller than an elk at 600+ is more difficult that hitting a 1 1/2 MOA, or 2 MOA piece of steel at 600+.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 08:56 PM

[quote=dee]I got behind David Tubb kowa at a match and wasn't overly blown away. Keep in mind he runs like a fixed 27x long eye relief eye piece. Swaro spotters and slc binos best pretty much anything I've been behind. The army amu nikon image stabilization binos were pretty nice but my understanding was not overly available but I've not looked.

Get behind a Kowa 883/884 and you will see the light.......It also depends on what you mean when you say "euro dominate still". If your talking optical quality alone, you may be right. If you're talking about absolute mechanical reliability, not so much. Nightforce (Jap) is the king. [/quot0e]

Can't say what model his was. It was nice don't get me wrong but nothing about it made me say wow.

Nf is no better or worse than S&B PM II, Stiener M series or Hendsolt (3 main euro rugged optics).

My personal nf never failed me but it didn't have near the rugged built like a tank feel my premier has either. That being said not all nf are japan either and most are assembled stateside.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Varys between models

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 09:01 PM

In fact, keeping a bullet in the vitals of anything smaller than an elk at 600+ is more difficult that hitting a 1 1/2 MOA, or 2 MOA piece of steel at 600+.

I only mentioned it in response to waiting for them to show up in PRS. Very limited options with them and MOA only. Quite a few people have excellent luck with them anyway

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 09:11 PM

I only mentioned it in response to waiting for them to show up in PRS. Very limited options with them and MOA only. Quite a few people have excellent luck with them anyway

That was a jab from me. He's just going to disagree with me every chance he gets. Doesn't matter if he means it or not.

My point was, it is simple fact that adjustments HAVE to be made, based on environment, beyond 500 yards. This happens on my range, throughout the year. Cold air is thick air, bullets drop more. Hot air is thin air, bullets drop less.

Then get in the truck and drive 250 miles NW, and it's a whole new ballgame. Higher elevation, and thinner air.

Last month I got there at 5 pm, checked zero at 100, and consulted the ballistic calculator for 1000 yards. First round hit, same at 1100 yards, and 1350 yards. Had I performed the exact same exercise at 6 am, the next morning there would have been a different set of corrections, no doubt about it.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 09:18 PM

That was a jab from me. He's just going to disagree with me every chance he gets. Doesn't matter if he means it or not.

My point was, it is simple fact that adjustments HAVE to be made, based on environment, beyond 500 yards. This happens on my range, throughout the year. Cold air is thick air, bullets drop more. Hot air is thin air, bullets drop less.

Then get in the truck and drive 250 miles NW, and it's a whole new ballgame. Higher elevation, and thinner air.

Last month I got there at 5 pm, checked zero at 100, and consulted the ballistic calculator for 1000 yards. First round hit, same at 1100 yards, and 1350 yards. Had I performed the exact same exercise at 6 am, the next morning there would have been a different set of corrections, no doubt about it.

Oh ok didn't know that haha

I definitely agree with needing a turret you can make changes with. If I ever got a vx6 for a hunting rifle it would be a plain MOA turret and not "custom"

Hopefully once my 6.5saum is done I'll get to come shoot and pick your brain.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 09:41 PM

I definitely agree with needing a turret you can make changes with. If I ever got a vx6 for a hunting rifle it would be a plain MOA turret and not "custom"

Hopefully once my 6.5saum is done I'll get to come shoot and pick your brain.

Scroll down to "Mils versus MOA"

http://www.precisionriflehunters.com/blog/

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 10:15 PM

CDS are hunting scopes. They also will make a straight MOA turret instead of load specific if you want

Evidently that went over the fireman's head. He obviously missed the posts where I've repeatedly said that for constant twisting of turrets, NF is the deal.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 10:20 PM

These make it easy, they work great, and they're tough. It's not near as difficult as the experts here think it is.

http://customturretsystems.com/

Also, to say I disagree with FJG's posts just for the sake of disagreeing is erroneous, as you have to give a schittt what someone says to do so, and in his case I don't.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 10:31 PM

It's pretty simple inside of 400 or so yards if you know all your particulars (ie true bc, velocity and site offset) and can be fine farther if you know twist direction and enviromentals. Tubb's reticle is essentially a bdc but a well thoughtout and designed one.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 11:39 PM

Evidently that went over the fireman's head. He obviously missed the posts where I've repeatedly said that for constant twisting of turrets, NF is the deal.

I missed nothing.

You claim yours has worked every time beyond 500. I call bs Unless you shoot the exact same location, in the exact same conditions every single shot. Physics are physics, no matter what you want to believe otherwise. And by the way, I watch bullets go down range 52 weeks a year and record data from it. So just because you want to disagree, doesnt mean you are right. At least not here in the real world.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/15/17 11:42 PM

Also, to say I disagree with FJG's posts just for the sake of disagreeing is erroneous, as you have to give a schittt what someone says to do so, and in his case I don't.

Your previous actions around here, prove otherwise.

More bs

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 12:03 AM

I missed nothing.

You claim yours has worked every time beyond 500. I call bs Unless you shoot the exact same location, in the exact same conditions every single shot. Physics are physics, no matter what you want to believe otherwise. And by the way, I watch bullets go down range 52 weeks a year and record data from it. So just because you want to disagree, doesnt mean you are right. At least not here in the real world.

I can take what you say and divide it by 2...then it will be close. You've got a B&C ego though. Congrats.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 12:13 AM

Still maintaining being a tool. Congrats.
Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 05:55 AM

This whole thread is funny. Ive shot, and placed matches shooting a 200 dollar sightmark on a factory gun, Shot and placed a different match with a different factory gun, shooting factory loads in a caliber no one shoots, with a cheap Vortex Crossfire2 scope. Last weekend I shot a over a mile and made first hit on 5th round with a crappy Vortex HS-T SFP scope.

I literally crack the F up when I read 6 pages of people using their scope as a crutch.

And, as Jeremy knows, the TOP shooters in PRS are shooting Vortex. Are they the best glass? Nah, Best I have looked through has been Premier, AKA Tangent Theta. To PRS guys, its about the sponsor.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta
To PRS guys, its about the sponsor.

Friend of mine was sponsored by US Optics. He had so much trouble he sent the scopes in for the second time and advised them he did not want them back.

S & B sent him a scope.

I wouldn't say "all about the sponsor", the scopes HAVE to work.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 11:16 AM

I've not met one shoter who got a scope for free unless it was pulled from a prize table. They might not have paid full price but they did pay something.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 12:26 PM

I was sponsored by Vortex, they gave me any scope I wanted. I said No Thanks, your optics suk !!!

troll

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I was sponsored by Vortex, they gave me any scope I wanted. I said No Thanks, your optics suk !!!

troll

But, but, haven't you been impressed by their warranty and knowing that if a Vortex fails on your lifetime hunt that when you return home you can get a new one? Or after flying to NC for a match, prepaying for motel and car rental, that after dropping out of the match and watching on the sidelines you will still be smiling knowing your problem will be resolved when you return home and you will have the fun of sighting in your new/rebuilt Vortex in time for your next match or hunt? Number 1 choice of THF posters. rifle bang
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 01:55 PM

rofl

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 02:18 PM

troll

But, but, haven't you been impressed by their warranty and knowing that if a Vortex fails on your lifetime hunt that when you return home you can get a new one? Or after flying to NC for a match, prepaying for motel and car rental, that after dropping out of the match and watching on the sidelines you will still be smiling knowing your problem will be resolved when you return home and you will have the fun of sighting in your new/rebuilt Vortex in time for your next match or hunt? Number 1 choice of THF posters. rifle bang

Exactly why I purchased a Night Force.

I had a Vortex Viper PST, and had to send it in.

Now I have a Vortex Razor spotter, and will be sending it in, tomorrow.

Both have let dirt inside them.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 02:38 PM

troll

My gen 1 razor went down at heatstroke last year along with 3 gen 2 that I heard about.

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 03:59 PM

troll

rofl rifle

If you didn't have to lay on the dirt to shoot, your equipment wouldn't need cleaning all the time... maybe the dirt came from trying to wipe all the mud off the lens and you ground it in past the seals. Good camera stores sell little high quality brushes to clean glass. Didn't Ramball or Chickendude tell you not to use your 02 tanks to blow your equipment clean....

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 04:39 PM

JG, you do know I am joshing ?

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 04:51 PM

troll

I'm sure that's exactly how it went down, Buzz. roflmao

Re: Scopes made in Japan - 08/16/17 05:06 PM

troll

My gen 1 razor went down at heatstroke last year along with 3 gen 2 that I heard about.

Why I don't own any of their rifle scopes anymore.

I paid for reliability.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum