Texas Hunting Forum

Which Scope for 3Gun

Posted By: KRoyal

Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 08:37 PM

Just built a 3 Gun rifle and I bought the Gen II 1-6x Viper PST, but its on back order for 37 days.

I've read great things about the Viper PST Gen II 1-6x, basically a 90% Razor Gen II. That is a lot of scope for the money.

Normally I'm not a fan of BDC reticles, but I feel like 3Gun with how fast you'll be shooting at different ranges if there was a time to use a BDC this would be it.

I also looked at the 1-8x Strike Eagle, but of course the glass is going to be crap compared to the GenII Viper.

Also maybe looking at the Burris XTR II 1-5, they have a BDC but it is $100 more than the Gen II Viper.

Should I just stick with the GenII Viper or cancel my order and get a different scope? This rifle will be used strictly for 3Gun.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 09:07 PM

Kyle, having never competed in Three Gun, I wonder how well my SS 1-6 would do? It sure does good work on my range, and hunting. The glass is very nice, as you know.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 09:15 PM

Yes, that was another of my considerations was the SWFA 1-6, but the mil scale reticle is about the same as the VMR-2 reticle with the mil hash marks on it. Really wish Vortex had put the JM1 reticle the Razor Gen II has for 3 gun. Would have been great for my predicament LOL.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Yes, that was another of my considerations was the SWFA 1-6, but the mil scale reticle is about the same as the VMR-2 reticle with the mil hash marks on it. Really wish Vortex had put the JM1 reticle the Razor Gen II has for 3 gun. Would have been great for my predicament LOL.

Since I've been waiting for my Gen 2 PSTs since January, I want you to suffer with me and wait for yours. Hell, I actually might've paid my deposits in December. Been so long I can't remember.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 09:47 PM

You're on the right track. Anything in the 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8 power will work well. I used to use the Burris XTR 1-4 with the 5.56 BDC style reticle. The reticle didn't line up to the bullet I was shooting, but I still used it for my holds. It worked very well, once I knew my holds. Hits out to 600 and 800 yards were very doable.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 09:54 PM

Kyle, I've got a Viper with the BDC reticle and other than checking distances for each hash mark I have never used them. I may be wrong here but I can't imagine it would offer an advantage over MILS or MOA. P_102

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 10:04 PM

Thanks guys, Jeremy hopefully mine is not that far out. Chad are you saying you just figured out what hash mark your hold was for and remembered it on a regular reticle or was the Burris a BDC? By the way sucka text me back. Chris the BDC would give a little advantage in the run and gun type shooting you do in 3 gun you don't want to have to really think about which hash mark it is when trying to shoot fast. But yea I don't really see an advantage in regular shooting.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/07/17 10:09 PM

Yes, it was the 5.56 BDC style reticle, like pictured in the link below. The BDC reticle was set up for a 62 grain bullet going faster than the 68 grain BTHP bullet I was shooting. I shot it at all distances to get my holds down on the reticle. 200 and 300 were real close, but 400 and out needed less hold, so I just knew where to hold on the vertical line. I'll show you how to do it, if you get a BDC type reticle. It's easy to learn and fast to shoot with.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/xtr-ii-ballistic-5.56-gen-3
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 12:25 AM

You're going to want something with some drop reference built in. I've been very happy with my MTAC 1-4, although I do sometimes wish I had some more magnification. Look at other scopes and see what suits your eye and budget the best, but DEFINITELY get something with elevation references in the reticle.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 01:36 AM

I didn't think the gen 2 1-6 came in a BDC reticle. I thought moa or mil only. Cabelas has them in stock and I received mine in moa this Monday.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 01:42 AM

Yea they don't come in BDC, I bought mine in mil. Think I'm going to cancel the order and find one with BDC.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 03:24 AM

I use a red dot but most guys I know that use a scope use either the Bushnell 1-6.5x, the 1-6x razor with the JM reticle, the primary arms 1-8x platinum, or the Burris XTR II. Out of all of those I like the razor and the XTR the best.

One guy I know just got a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x which is pretty amazing but also probably one of the most expensive pieces of glass I've ever looked through.

This videos a little old but still a good comparison in my opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzvI6zu7Mo

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Gwood88
I use a red dot but most guys I know that use a scope use either the Bushnell 1-6.5x, the 1-6x razor with the JM reticle, the primary arms 1-8x platinum, or the Burris XTR II. Out of all of those I like the razor and the XTR the best.

One guy I know just got a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x which is pretty amazing but also probably one of the most expensive pieces of glass I've ever looked through.

This videos a little old but still a good comparison in my opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzvI6zu7Mo

Most of all those are a little out of my price range. I'd love to have a razor with the JM1 reticle.

Anyone have any experience with the strike eagle 1-8? It has the reticle I want but not sure on the glass.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 03:48 AM

By the way I've seen that video before which is what turned me on to the strike eagle to begin with.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 04:21 AM

I put the 1-6x strike eagle on my wife's SBR. It's the from the same factory as the Primary Arms scopes. The glass is, like the video says, good enough. It'll do. It's no PST but it's pretty clear. For a precision rifle I would want something different but for 3 gun it will be fine. It's pretty good for the money. I think the "1x" is better than some other scopes I've tried.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/08/17 10:34 AM

My mistake, Kyle, thought you were talking about a Viper with BDS...theirs only has 3 lower hash marks, 1.5, 3.5 and 7.5 MOA, which leaves fairly large gaps. A reticle like the one Chad showed seems much better!
Posted By: swmays

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/09/17 03:23 PM

Brownells has a deal on them now. 1-8 strike eagle, Burris pepr mount, 5.56 bdc. $450.00.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/09/17 04:22 PM

I went with the 1-8x Strike eagle, Vortex Switchview, and American Defense QD Mount. Should be here soon, still waiting on my Seekins LPK to finish my build on the rifle which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to shoot it.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/14/17 04:43 PM

Kyle, did you get everything assembled?

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/14/17 05:36 PM

I did, there is a thread in the rifles section about the rifle and scope combo
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 12:56 PM

You can get a really great deal on the Leupold V-6 1-6 at a great price. They are discontinued.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 01:16 PM

Buzz always late to the party rofl Thanks bud I got the Strike Eagle 1-8x we shall see how it goes.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 01:36 PM

Does that strike force look like a bird crapped on the reticle like the 1/6?

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Does that strike force look like a bird crapped on the reticle like the 1/6?

rofl I guess if you're talking about the BDC only difference is they made the zero dot into a 1MOA dot instead of the top of the bar like on the 1-6x. I normally don't like BDC reticles, but for 3Gun for the fast shooting involved I think they'll be perfect.

1-8x Reticle

1-6x Reticle

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 01:55 PM

BDC on the 1-6 is backerds. Wider at the top than at the bottom.

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 02:08 PM

Yea, wasn't a fan of the 1-6 reticle. The 1-8 looks much better. Here are some better pics.

1-6x

1-8x

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 02:40 PM

What's the little vertical windage hashes measure?

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 02:48 PM

The little vertical hash marks correspond to bullet drift 5mph wind with a .223 and a 7mph wind for a .308

Sight in at 50 yards with 55gr 5.56/223 the 1 MOA dot is good from 50-200 yards, first horizontal hash is 300 second is 400 and so on.

Here are the subtensions for the 1-8x

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
The little vertical hash marks correspond to bullet drift 5mph wind with a .223 and a 7mph wind for a .308

Allegedly. grin

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/16/17 03:03 PM

Ha, yea allegedly. Probably wont use them much if at all unless the wind is really going. Just got in 1000 rounds of 55gr FMJ and 1000 rounds of 124gr 9mm ammo last night. Time to come play and practice. Someone needs to quit being lazy and build me a pistol range peep rofl
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/18/17 02:20 PM

looks like a Christmas tree.

look forward to a range report

unless I missed that part too confused2
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Which Scope for 3Gun - 06/20/17 06:25 PM

I have ran a LOT of them over the years..
While I definitely want a mil based scope for long range I like a BDC type for 3 gun.
My favorite is the Steiner Tactical 1-5.
Run a 200 yard zero with 3, 4, 5 and 600 yard holds
Super sharp glass and daytime bright center dot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum