Texas Hunting Forum

Scope for Tikka

Posted By: Bear13

Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 05:29 PM

Just bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in a .270.

The gun comes with rings, but what else do I need?

I've had sever THF members comment saying Minoz ZV3

I would like to preview or at least see one in an academy or similar store so I can see what I'll be working with.

Also trying to keep the cost down around 100 but maybe up to 150.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 05:45 PM

Almost too many options, but I would suggest a quality scope maker, which many may disagree on as to what is quality or not. In that price range, I'd probably lean toward a Burris Fullfield II. I did have a pretty good Bushnell 4-12 that I got at Bass Pro for $150.
Posted By: Bear13

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 05:58 PM

They also had a
bushnell trophy 3-9x40 doa 600
For around 115 I think on clearance
Posted By: P_102

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 06:21 PM

Bear, while researching make sure the scope diameter and rings match if you don't want to buy other rings.
I have no idea on the quality of the rings Tikka offers, surely others here will, just remember, the stability of your mounted scope is just as important as the scope itself, even more.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 06:34 PM

Install a one piece base, and Weaver type rings, scrap the factory rings. The rings that come with a Tikka are for a 1" tube, though.
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 07:07 PM

Minox makes excellent scopes. I have a ZP5 and a ZX5. Both are outstanding. No experience with the ZV3, but if it follows the pattern of Minox's other products, it'll be a great optic for the money.
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 10:16 PM

Something 3x15 or 4x12 would be ideal. Several good options, I would spend as much as you can on your scope. Definitely recommend getting an EGW rail and a set of quality rings.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 10:28 PM

Trash those rings and don't get a $115 sale scope or you will be back in two weeks wondering why your gun doesn't shoot

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Trash those rings and don't get a $115 sale scope or you will be back in two weeks wondering why your gun doesn't shoot

Exactly
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/12/17 11:58 PM

You are in Waxahachie? Ever drive to SWFA? They can probably find you something.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/13/17 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim9880
You are in Waxahachie? Ever drive to SWFA? They can probably find you something.
This x100

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/13/17 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: Tim9880
This x100
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/13/17 02:15 AM

Just bought this in left hand, stainless, .308 for my stepson. Didn't go with a rail but bought Warne rings that mount to the grooves. Went with a Vortex Crossfire for him, 4-12. Was trying to keep set up under $1,000.00. I like the low sight line and the absence of more tolerance stack up from another component. Gun shoots great, like you'd expect. I was reluctant to not use a rail or base mount as I have on my stuff. So far so good.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/13/17 02:53 AM

I have some DNZ 1 inch mounts in silver. You can have them if you ever find yourself close to Groesbeck.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/14/17 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Install a one piece base, and Weaver type rings, scrap the factory rings. The rings that come with a Tikka are for a 1" tube, though.

This, especially the part about tossing the rings.

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/14/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: el_cazador713
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Exactly

You won't if you get the Minox or a Fullfield II. There are almost always exceptions to a rule.

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/14/17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bear13
They also had a
bushnell trophy 3-9x40 doa 600
For around 115 I think on clearance

I have had a Bushnell Elite 4200 for a number of years now and think it is great so I'm not knocking Bushnell. The Minox is a much better scope than the Legend, especially in low light.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/19/17 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Bear13
Just bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in a .270.

The gun comes with rings, but what else do I need?

I've had sever THF members comment saying Minoz ZV3

I would like to preview or at least see one in an academy or similar store so I can see what I'll be working with.

Also trying to keep the cost down around 100 but maybe up to 150.

Any thoughts?

I just put a Minox ZV3 on a Tikka Superlight. Bought from Doug at Cameraland for $99 and am VERY impressed with the scope, clearance and a super buy at that price point.

Will reiterate what others have said, trash the rings. I went with Talley Lightweights.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/19/17 05:01 PM

I am under the impression Tikka's don't need scopes. Just point them downrange and pull the trigger. Always hit what you are looking at, although some fellows say they need a scope to check antler size.
rifle
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/20/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I am under the impression Tikka's don't need scopes. Just point them downrange and pull the trigger. Always hit what you are looking at, although some fellows say they need a scope to check antler size.
rifle

grin I sure hope your right, I just bought one and I need all the help I can get! slinger
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Scope for Tikka - 03/21/17 04:52 PM

There are a lot of amateur comedians on this site and I have to admit they are really good --- come up with some funny stuff!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum