Texas Hunting Forum

Rookie scope question

Posted By: Jbell99

Rookie scope question - 10/08/16 03:08 AM

I will apoligize if this is a stupid question but I am learning, I bought a ruger 10/22 take down and bought a Nikon scope for it and had a local gun shop mount and install the scope and bore sight it. Afterwards the scope wouldn't fit in the bag and he said there is nothing I can do. When I got home I looked at it and loosened each bolt 2.5 turns in a cross pattern and moved the scope back and retightened the bolts in a cross pattern now it fits in the bag because I moved it back, will it hurt mounting the scope that far up the tube?

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Rookie scope question - 10/08/16 03:31 AM

You're not going to harm anything doing that, but it may make shooting the rifle a little awkward.
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: Rookie scope question - 10/08/16 03:33 AM

the only thing you need to worry about is eye relief. when you shoulder the rifle do you get full field of view?

If I had perfect eye relief, I would buy a new case if it didnt fit.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Rookie scope question - 10/08/16 03:48 AM

Thank you guys
I shouldered it and still have full field of view and it's actually still very comfortable I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt the scope because the gunsmith said there was nothing that could be done. Normally I would just get another bag but the travel pack for it is really nice and has a pocket for the barrel and the receiver I'm impressed by it so far

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rookie scope question - 10/08/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: r_u_sharp_2
the only thing you need to worry about is eye relief. when you shoulder the rifle do you get full field of view?

If I had perfect eye relief, I would buy a new case if it didnt fit.

Exactly.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rookie scope question - 10/09/16 01:17 PM

Check the eye relief at both minimum and maximum power
Posted By: Bart H

Re: Rookie scope question - 10/09/16 04:39 PM

Agree, eye relief and make sure you didn't turn the scope at all and the crosshair's are still straight up and down. Doesn't take much to get them off line. Since you have not sighted your rifle in moving the scope back won't affect anything. That Nikon scope will give you 3.6 inches of eye relief so hopefully your cheek weld won't put your eye to close. If needed you can always get a cushioned slip on butt stock pad that will help you out. Let me know if you have any question's about your scope.
Nice pairing!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum