Texas Hunting Forum

Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State

Posted By: DrifterAT

Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/14/16 09:31 PM

eBay currently has a 10% cashback on purchases over $50. With no 8.25% tax for Texans, the total savings is 18.25%. Looks great from a cost perspective. It appears the eBay sellers are authorized vendors (which can be verified I'm sure) so the warranty is the same.

Of course our favorite shops include around $400+ options thrown in for their top of the line thermals and they offer great telephone support.

Questions:

1. Would you buy from eBay at an 18.25% savings?
2. What are the risks that would prevent you from purchasing via eBay?

I'm considering something in the Reap IR cost range.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/15/16 03:33 AM

Most volume vendors also offer a return policy, PayPal is very purchaser oriented for disputes and you also have the power of your Credit Card issuer to help with a problem if you use that.

Buy it, immediately upon receipt check the serial number with the Mfr to make sure it's new and valid.

I buy off ebay regularly, buy you do need to be saving more than a few $ when spending that type of coin, vs buying from someone you know.

Charlie
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/15/16 04:48 AM

Make sure you aren't buying stolen govt property. If it seems sketchy it is.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/15/16 02:21 PM

When you start talking 4 digit discount, that's significant. Unless you love your local dealer I'd go Ebay and not look back.

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/15/16 04:02 PM

I contacted IRD today and they will honor their product warranty for eBay purchased items. They can verify the unit serial number was in fact sold by IRD.

There is no IRD device registration process. For warranty work, a copy of the receipt and serial # are required.

They also offer full technical support via their 800 #.

Now I'm trying to decide which thermal. The Reap-IR or an Armasight Zeus (Pro).

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/15/16 05:30 PM

If I need to start a new thread, let me know. I wanted to get some input from the thermal experts on the forum on which thermal fits my style of night hunting.

With night vision, my hunting has been over feeders or trails sitting in tripods or blinds. Shots are from 85 yards - 180 yards. I have a box stand on a 40 acre food plot with a blind that I usually stalk to the game and try to get within 100 yards. There'e two other large pastures on our lease with lots of pig sign.

I'm not inclined to hunt the creek bottoms at night.

Will the REAP-IR fit my needs? OLED screen, light, 2.5X, 12micron, 30 or 60MHZ frame rates, latest bells and whistles, reads like easy to learn configurations.

Thanks!
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/15/16 05:45 PM

Reap-ir would be a great thermal. For your distance I wouldn't go over 50mm.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/19/16 01:30 PM

tag
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/19/16 03:35 PM

I just went there and it calculated 5$ off every 300. I also made a purchase and no 10% discount? ???
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/19/16 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Reap-ir would be a great thermal. For your distance I wouldn't go over 50mm.

One of my thermals is a REAP IR and I would agree with this... ^^^

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/19/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
I just went there and it calculated 5$ off every 300. I also made a purchase and no 10% discount? ???

The offer was received via email and ended 9/16.

Re: Thermal eBay Purchase vs In State - 09/19/16 09:48 PM

Rich at UNV took care of me Friday late afternoon. He shipped the thermal fedex overnight but I was at the lease and missed the delivery Saturday morning. Man that's fast service! Thermal will be here tomorrow smile.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum