Texas Hunting Forum

HELP out of elevation !!!!!

Posted By: Buzzsaw

HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 01:39 PM

So, I have this new Ruger #1 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm working with a guy in Arizona who makes these off set rails to give the user a better field of view with a higher power scope.,

I ran out of elevation at 100 yards. A buddy told me of an old LR target shooters trick "rig". He said take an aluminum beer can, cut a small strip and put it on the bottom half of the rear ring, then mount the scope. makes sense. I cut a strip of Coors can, it measures .11mm.

will this work????? Given these guns aren't known to shoot.25 groups, max range hunting will be around 300yrds.

The rail looks kinda goofy but it works great.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 02:52 PM

That is an old trick, but it's a weak link in my opinion. Burris Zee rings and MOA inserts will get you back some travel. Look them up, they are quality rings that work well, and they will fit on the base you have
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 03:34 PM

Use real shims instead of the beer can please....

ZEE rings are very good as FJG said
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 03:38 PM

I think JG is speaking of Signature Zee rings, and that's good advice. You can buy a kit containing offset inserts and it would give you a better shot at getting your POI to work with your adjustments set near center. Signature Zee rings will never mark your scope, either, and there's never a need to lap those rings (you can't, anyway).

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 03:58 PM

what is a real shim?, home depot?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 05:30 PM

Buzzsaw, not HD True Value. Lol

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 06:25 PM

I already have rings fitted to the base, so I cut 2 small pieces of a Coors can, wiped beer off first. They are .011mm thick.

I'll head to the range and see if it works

Brownells wants $62 for 12 sheets of shim rifle
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/10/16 06:57 PM

Coors, Budweiser, Millers, any of them will work. Even Reynolds wrap foil doubled or tripled. Automotive parts houses used to carry sheets of copper. Could buy it in different thickness and cut your own shims. Back in 1960's we had Weaver, Lyman, Redfield, Leupold, Unertl, and variables were just coming out. I'm sure the highest price product is the best but we made due with various methods and shims worked. JMO.
Posted By: booradley

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/11/16 04:56 PM

It's better if you shim the rear of the base than the rear ring. By doing it that way you won't stress the scope tube. Your custom mount might be the culprit. The scope is mounted pretty high so you should have plenty of elevation. Another explanation could be because the rear ring is so close to the turrets you might be getting a bind. Do you have some Ruger rings you could try? If so and you have enough elevation then you would know it's probably the mount.

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/25/16 11:10 PM

shim worked , got my ruger #1 zeroed

damn thing put 3 shots into .5 and .75

not bad for a gun I always heard rarely shoot well
Posted By: watchale

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/26/16 12:10 AM

I had to shim a Remington vsssf 22-250 one time. I used a brass shim and it worked just fine smile. Good to see you got yours to work up
Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/27/16 09:02 PM

I got a Weaver Grand Slam that I ran out elevation on a Ruger No. 1 Varminter, is there any other way than to shim...the scope has a 50 mm objective.

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/28/16 09:54 PM

I don't think the shims will make the 50mm bell touch. It just raises the rear of the scope tube a hair.. Are you using the original Ruger Rings?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/28/16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
That is an old trick, but it's a weak link in my opinion. Burris Zee rings and MOA inserts will get you back some travel. Look them up, they are quality rings that work well, and they will fit on the base you have

Had to put these on my savage, they worked great, have been happy with them.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/29/16 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

damn thing put 3 shots into .5 and .75

not bad for a gun I always heard rarely shoot well

You got a good one. And there ARE some out there.

I've had 2 that were terrible, and I have a .308 that will shoot cloverleafs. But I agree ..... most leave a lot to be desired in the accuracy department. And that's a shame for such a beautiful rifle.

Re: HELP out of elevation !!!!! - 09/29/16 10:03 PM

got some more pics up in the rifles section, after hunting season I may have a new. lighter trigger added. I'm really loving the rifle, even though the scope mount is a little funky, and it likes the heck out of the factory Winchester 140gr SMK load. I haven't shot any handloads yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum