Texas Hunting Forum

Type of base

Posted By: Erny

Type of base - 07/31/16 03:53 AM

Just bought a new Remington 700 in 308 Win and am trying to decide a which base to use. Should I go with the one piece or go with two piece? I have used both on other rifles and an trying to fiqure out the advantages of each.
Posted By: Bradgrace

Re: Type of base - 07/31/16 08:30 PM

I'm trying to decide myself on the same gun right now. To me the choices I'm considering are
1. Talley lightweights
Advantages - lightweight, cost, less parts to potentially move, able to get the scope closer to the barrel.
Disadvantages- not able to move scope from gun to gun easily

2. Standard picatinny
Advantages - ability to move scope between rifles, 20 moa rails, looks cool
Disadvantages- heavy, expensive

Those are just some that stick out in my mind I'm sure others can elablrate more.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Type of base - 08/01/16 01:14 AM

IMO, there are few reasons to go with a one piece. If you're not looking for extra elevation potential in the form of a 20-MOA base for long range work. a decent two piece base will weigh less, look better, and perform just as well---if not better.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Type of base - 08/01/16 03:52 AM

I prefer two piece bases but started using one piece picatinny's a while back. The reason? You never again have to worry about whether a particular scope will fit. EGW makes a reasonably priced one that is good quality.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Type of base - 08/02/16 12:52 PM

Thanks guys. I think I an going to go with the two piece just to save weight. Though be it a very small amount. I appreciate all the replys.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Type of base - 08/02/16 01:03 PM

I prefer one piece as I don't have to worry about alignment between pieces.

But many people shoot both styles very well
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Type of base - 08/02/16 01:04 PM

I also like the DNz products if I wanted a light weight set up
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: Type of base - 08/02/16 01:21 PM

Depends on your purpose but I'm a fan of the Talley lightweights unless you need some extra elevation adjustment from a rail or something.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Type of base - 08/02/16 02:46 PM

Talley lightweights for dedicated lightweight hunting rifles.
Bedded Picatinny rail with rings for "tactical/LR" guns.
Posted By: mason15

Re: Type of base - 08/03/16 01:22 AM

DNZ is the way to go
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum