Texas Hunting Forum

Scope rings

Posted By: eddie4529

Scope rings - 07/10/16 03:56 PM

just bought a new scope from primary arms the 4-14 ffp, has a 30mm tube so any recommendations on a good set of scope rings it will be going on my Thompson center venture, I will be putting my weave scope from the Thompson on to my dpms lr308 as well so what are some good rings for ar10s, the ones the scope has bow aren't tall enough the scope hits the gin before the rings
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Scope rings - 07/10/16 05:33 PM

Burris PEPR mount would be good choice for the AR.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Scope rings - 07/11/16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Burris PEPR mount would be good choice for the AR.

I have the PEPR on two rifles and have no complaints.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Scope rings - 07/11/16 04:27 PM

I like my TPS rings. Right around $100. Warne maximas are great at the $50ish pricepoint
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Scope rings - 07/11/16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie4529
just bought a new scope from primary arms the 4-14 ffp, has a 30mm tube so any recommendations on a good set of scope rings it will be going on my Thompson center venture, I will be putting my weave scope from the Thompson on to my dpms lr308 as well so what are some good rings for ar10s, the ones the scope has bow aren't tall enough the scope hits the gin before the rings

I have the PA 4-14×44 in an Aero Precision ultralight mount on an AR. It keeps the objective end of the scope just a hair above the handguard. Pretty much perfect.

Re: Scope rings - 07/13/16 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

I have the PA 4-14×44 in an Aero Precision ultralight mount on an AR. It keeps the objective end of the scope just a hair above the handguard. Pretty much perfect.

Cool how is the scope and ever have any problems with having to re zero often ?
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Scope rings - 07/13/16 03:18 AM

Badgers for all mine
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope rings - 07/13/16 01:55 PM

Badger ordinance or Talley Tactical rings. 20 MOA pic rail on both rifles. Badger makes one for the gas gun. It attaches on top of the flat top upper, it gives the proper higher cheek weld for the gas gun. That's the way I use one scope on a gas gun AND a bolt action.

Re: Scope rings - 07/14/16 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Badger ordinance or Talley Tactical rings. 20 MOA pic rail on both rifles. Badger makes one for the gas gun. It attaches on top of the flat top upper, it gives the proper higher cheek weld for the gas gun. That's the way I use one scope on a gas gun AND a bolt action.

how would that work? wouldnt the scope lose zero if i switch it from one gun to another and the badger ordnance rail, is it the 22moa riser rail? or something like that, its like a pic rail that goes on too the top rail of the upper?
Posted By: P_102

Re: Scope rings - 07/14/16 02:20 PM

I just added a 20MOA riser to my AR so I can do the same as FiremanJG. When I moved the scope over the vertical was dead on, had to adjust 3MOA left. Haven't moved it back yet but should be able to set it back to zero and be pretty close. P_102
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Scope rings - 07/14/16 03:14 PM

I've recently purchased 2 from dnz. They're all in ones and made to fit several different manufacturers. $60-$80 for the package.. Very easy to set up.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope rings - 07/14/16 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

how would that work? wouldnt the scope lose zero if i switch it from one gun to another and the badger ordnance rail, is it the 22moa riser rail? or something like that, its like a pic rail that goes on too the top rail of the upper?

Yes zero is going to move. I have seen it be repeatable on six rifles, since I have three scopes. Each scope pulls duty on two rifles. Move from rifle A to rifle B, fire one round on clean white paper, note where it landed, adjust accordingly, write down the adjustements needed to get zeroed on rifle B, zero out the turrets. When you move back to rifle A consult the notes, and adjust accordingly. Fire a round and see how close it is.

The last time I did this I moved the SS 5-20X from the 7mm-08 to the .22-250. Down .8, left .3 Then went and shot prairie dogs for three days, moving the rifle in and out of the truck many times. The next week I got back to the range, and moved the scope back to the 7mm-08, I consulted the notes, and moved POI accordingly, on the turrets. First round was 1/10 high. That's what high quality bases, rings and scopes can do for you, it allows you to not have to buy a $1K+ scope for every rifle.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Scope rings - 07/14/16 04:36 PM

I pretty much use Larue mounts for AR platforms and Seekins rings for everything else these days. I've tried a few rings and mounts over the years and I've had the best luck with those brands.

Have you seen the Primary Arms AR mounts? I used one awhile back on a lower end AR build and it worked ok.

Re: Scope rings - 07/16/16 02:57 AM

Learn something new everyday, thanks everyone your info is greatly appreciated

Re: Scope rings - 07/16/16 04:00 AM

And now that I looked them up I assume the Talley tactical rings that will hold zero are the 200 dollar ones lol will be buying the rail then the rings next week
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum