Texas Hunting Forum

Thermal monocular questions

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Thermal monocular questions - 04/06/16 03:07 AM

Couple questions for you Thermal pros... I want to make my night hunting experience easy. I have an X-Sight that works fine. I'm buying a used ATN NVM14 to be used on a helmet that is pretty awesome for it's small size and performance, my first look through a Gen2+ monocular. Also have an IR laser on my rifle that works with both. This setup here for all practical purposes, should be all I need.

I rented a low-end Pulsar this past weekend to try my first thermal device, pretty interesting. Was good to scan with and was good enough for me to see where Thermal will allow you to see things NV can't.

I really like the idea of a helmet mount to have my hands free. Do you helmet users agree with this or is the helmet cumbersome/hit/uncomfortable? (Mine isn't in yet)

What's your take on the below? The Thermal handheld option is the cheapest, but it's something else to keep up with. I have to stay under $5k.

I really like this Armasight Qi4 Q14 link as it is small and can be both a helmet monocular and a gun mounted sight. 4x and 800x600 display. Mid $4k priced.

This Armasight Apollo Apollo link is small like the Q14, a bit more expensive, is a true clip-on, but no helmet mount. 800x600 and needs a scope. Is there something to this one, I'm missing as to why it's more than the Q14 above?

This Armasight Prometheus Prometheus link is almost half the cost, but twice the size and not helmet mountable. 1.6x 640 display. I guess with this, it knocks out a Pulsar handheld given it's a handheld, sight and cheaper.

ATN Odin Odin link is a bit higher than the Armasight Q14 Gun and Helmet mount.
ATN OTS-HD OTS-HD link surely is the price/performance leader if it ships and works as advertised. Can't tell if it can be helmet mounted, don't think so.

I probably don't see buying anything until Sept/Oct as I don't see myself doing much after May when the heater gets turned on outside or unless I find a great deal on something used.

Thanks,
Charlie

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Thermal monocular questions - 04/06/16 08:38 PM

Quote:
I really like this Armasight Qi4 Q14 link as it is small and can be both a helmet monocular and a gun mounted sight. 4x and 800x600 display. Mid $4k priced.

Tiny little thermal scope. I have handled two now. Tiny display, quirky. This is not ideal for finding game.

Quote:

This Armasight Apollo Apollo link is small like the Q14, a bit more expensive, is a true clip-on, but no helmet mount. 800x600 and needs a scope. Is there something to this one, I'm missing as to why it's more than the Q14 above?

The Apollo has no occular like many other clip-ons. Either your eye focuses to it or it doesn't, but you can clip it on. I am not a fan of clip-ons.

Quote:
This Armasight Prometheus Prometheus link is almost half the cost, but twice the size and not helmet mountable. 1.6x 640 display. I guess with this, it knocks out a Pulsar handheld given it's a handheld, sight and cheaper.

As a handheld, this is a decent optic. Depending on how/where you hunt, you may want more magnification which will mean more cost, but the improvements will be significant.

Quote:

ATN Odin Odin link is a bit higher than the Armasight Q14 Gun and Helmet mount.
ATN OTS-HD OTS-HD link surely is the price/performance leader if it ships and works as advertised. Can't tell if it can be helmet mounted, don't think so.

Not familiar with this unit. Sorry.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Thermal monocular questions - 04/06/16 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply...

What's your take on a helmet mount vs handheld in general, which do you prefer?

Charlie
Posted By: shoots100

Re: Thermal monocular questions - 04/07/16 12:50 AM

Ideally, You'd want to get a thermal monocular that has a wide field of view and will be powered by the same battery type you use in your other NV gear.
Magnification is going to be based on the terrain you hunt.
My go to thermal mono is a Thermal Eye X50.
I can detect with it out to 600 yards no problem.
I can't tell what the heat signature is, but I know something's there.
FOV is small, but it's lightweight , easy to use , runs on quality AA's for hours and is built like a tank.
My FLIR FlashSight has a wider FOV. It's heavy, runs on AA's and with the QD mount, it can be used as a backup scope.
My recommendation, If you can afford it, would be a small thermal rifle scope with a QD mount so it could be used double duty.
Otherwise, any of the Thermal Eye/L3 X models would be a good choice.
I have used the Flir handhelds and like them, but the internal battery kept me from a purchase.
I didn't like the helmet mounted thermal , as depth perception with thermal sucks.
Stick with NV for helmet mounted use.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum