Texas Hunting Forum

Spotting Scopes

Posted By: DLALLDER

Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 01:57 PM

Looking for a spotting scope and have never had one. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two types, straight/angled? Any suggestions? Thanks
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 01:59 PM

Personal preference...

Angeles is better if you want multiple people to use it. Just set a height and they can lean over.

Straight is better for just one persons use because, it is always at the right level.

Also think of use, are you standing, sitting, or prone
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 02:45 PM

I'll never have an angled.

With a straight you have one eye on glass, and one eye helping look for the area you want the glass on. Angled, your other eye us looking at the ground.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 03:25 PM

I prefer straight. No "adjustment" to get used to using it, it's more intuitive, and it works much better if you use it on a window mount.

Some hunting guides/others who use spotters constantly tell me they prefer the angled because they can sit or stand more beside/over the scope instead of behind it - which they say is more comfortable over long periods of time.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 04:53 PM

I like angled better if it's on a tripod because it doesn't have to be set up so high and I think it's more comfortable. Straight can be better on a car window mount because it can be hard to get an angled scope low enough. It really depends on the car. The one thing you can do with a straight scope that you can't with an angled is mount it on a rifle stock and shoulder hold it.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 05:14 PM

Angled. I'd opt for better quality glass over zoom. Expect to spend good money on a tripod. Nothing more frustrating then having wind shake your tripod and not being able to spot shot or watch trace if you are spotter.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Spotting Scopes - 03/05/16 05:47 PM

I would try to get one of each and try them at the range. The only thing I do not like about my angeled is trying to look down a mountain
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum